DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

The reaction to the Liger announcment at Full sail was hilarious. I thought it was a joke till I saw it on the official NXT twitter. Lot of people didn't seem to know who Liger was and others popped for it. Glad to see Breeze will be on the card as he's been lost in the shuffle lately.

How do you not know who Jushin Thunder Liger is? Man, NXT just keeps bringing the surprises.

One thing I don't like about this set of spoilers is the ridiculous amount of squash matches. There seems to be at least 2 or 3 squash matches on every show. I hope that's not the modus operandi going forward.

And what about the other weird names showing up at this show?

Jesse Sorenson? Martin Stone? Did they fly him in just for this?

Jessie Sorrensen?  OMG it is a Paragon Pro Wrestling invasion angle.    Take that TNA

Oh and calm down on this talk about running in the Garden.   A week ago we were talking about whether they were running in the actual Barclay Center or the smaller version of the center in the building.

And how do you not know who Jushin Liger is.  Talk about living in a wrestling bubble  :wacko:

And how do you not know who Jushin Liger is.  Talk about living in a wrestling bubble  :wacko:

I wouldn't expect the ordinary person on the street to know who Jushin Thunder Liger is, but I would expect the NXT crowd to know. For shame, NXT fans, for shame!

Ohhhhh shiiiit so excited for that Women's Title match. Actually, excited for everything on that list. TakeOver Brooklyn is gonna be good.

They got Liger to come in, now I want Muta to come in too. I don't care if he doesn't have knees, I love Muta.

If he brings his "Summon the Genie" entrance with him they can have all of my money.

Corbin can pick on the injured Itami who whips out the magic lamp. Corbin stands in the ring laughing his ass off and BAM! Smoke, music and GENIE MUTA!!

Or at least resurrect Poison Sawada Julie.

It's hard not to think Angle when looking for a pro comp for Gable just because of the amateur background, but Angle was a self-depricating goofball when he debuted. Gable seems to have more confidence and flashiness about him while still being a little goofy, kind of like Jericho.

Wuh... okay, now I'm questioning my own memories of his debut because I swear he was brash and over confident. A bit of goof too sure but self-depricating?

For his Memphis Power Pro debut he was supposed to be the ultimate face, with the Olympic gold and all, but he came off so smug the crowd turned on him and he had to come out again later in the show and apologize. For the main roster they decided to make him a heel, and re-did the whole scenario, except instead of apologizing they had him act like he couldn't understand why people weren't cheering for him.

Opinion from watching some more NXT/reading recaps:

Summer Rae is so underrated. She was the first real heel in the division and every story when the girls started getting actual TV time involved her to some degree. She gave Paige someone to hate and added to that character a ton. She was the plot device used to turn Sasha heel (as she was woefully not over as a face). She bullied Bailey, which helped the crowd fall in love with that character. She swayed Charlotte to join the BFFs, which launched her career. She eventually got into it with Emma over DANCE OFFS.

I know this is all kayfabe, but she was so good and effective in the role. You really need someone talented to serve as the "spoke" for the division to revolve around. Summer was really great at playing the mean girl. Paige's "anti-diva" act and pig-headedness got to shine right when Summer turned. Sasha went from being pretty bad as a delicate flower into her own version of a mean girl, and became The Boss and best in the world. Bailey' character would have worked no matter what, but having the wretched bullies work her over made her so sympathetic. It also gave Charlotte's character a place to go once she turned heel. And Summer also did great comedy work with Emma, resulting in one of the all-time great comedy matches.

She's nowhere near The Four Horsewomen in-ring. But she's not bad at all. She knows how to wrestle as a conniving bitch. And she's also really smart about using her height and incredibly long legs in her arsenal.

She was really great. She's the ultimate "The WWE really screwed up XXX's" call-up.

• Like 7

It's not *that* surprising that people wouldn't know who Liger is. NXT fans aren't necessarily puro fans, and his only exposure to a national audience in the US is those few short runs/appearances in WCW in the 90's.

BTW - Outside from the Liger thing

The thing that has me most excited from the tapings is that the yet again are teasing

Owens vs. Regal

• Like 2

It's like someone who started watching post-Attitude era saying "Who's Harley Race?" A little different in that Liger's never stopped wrestling, but it makes sense that someone wouldn't know who he is, or why this is kind of a big deal.

With NJPW burning the candle at both ends, it's seriously making me wonder if ROH might not say "screw it" and push up the start time for their show so fans can make both events. That would make for two amazing crowds instead of two half-ish houses.

Also guessing this leads to Liger getting into the HOF.

It's like someone who started watching post-Attitude era saying "Who's Harley Race?" A little different in that Liger's never stopped wrestling, but it makes sense that someone wouldn't know who he is, or why this is kind of a big deal.

My first exposure to Harley Race was as a Survivor Series teammate of Andre the Giant, Mr Perfect etc. I remember wondering aloud "This guy is king?!" Ah, the naivety of youth.

There are WWE superfans on this very board who will tell you they never watched a KENTA match or a Kevin Steen match or a Prince Devitt match before they were signed. So yeah, it's not surprising the NXT crowd only knows who is put in front of them.

Though to be fair - there is a difference of "never watching a match" and "not knowing them"

Like most folks on this board I think would at least know say KENTA or Devitt's name.

However - yeah - I don't expect a group of college age students who only watched the WWE during the Attitude era to know Liger.

Even with NJPW gaining popularity here, it's still the same that it's always been with puro.  Fans here will cherry pick the matches with the big names.  10+ years ago, they were only watching KENTA, Marufuji, and Kobashi.  Now they are checking out Okada, Nakamura and Tanahashi.  They aren't slogging through a 4 hour show and watching Liger in a meaningless 10 man tag.  So yeah, I kinda get how they wouldn't know him.  Same reason a ROH fan 10 years ago couldn't pick Kishin Kawabata out of a lineup.

Even with NJPW gaining popularity here, it's still the same that it's always been with puro.  Fans here will cherry pick the matches with the big names.  10+ years ago, they were only watching KENTA, Marufuji, and Kobashi.  Now they are checking out Okada, Nakamura and Tanahashi.  They aren't slogging through a 4 hour show and watching Liger in a meaningless 10 man tag.  So yeah, I kinda get how they wouldn't know him.  Same reason a ROH fan 10 years ago couldn't pick Kishin Kawabata out of a lineup.

And thank god for that.  I mean, how else could we feel superior to casual fans if they were somehow able to identify NJPW 2nd match guy #3?

• Like 2

Though to be fair - there is a difference of "never watching a match" and "not knowing them"

Like most folks on this board I think would at least know say KENTA or Devitt's name.

However - yeah - I don't expect a group of college age students who only watched the WWE during the Attitude era to know Liger.

How quickly everyone forgets the Tequila On A Pole match...

Went to a mini-show put on by Harley's WLW promotion a few evenings ago and found myself briefly chatting with Harley after the show.  He gets around with a walker nowadays, but he still did a spot at the end where he decked Trevor Murdoch.  Spent most of the conversation wondering to myself "What do you say to HARLEY RACE?"

Went to a mini-show put on by Harley's WLW promotion a few evenings ago and found myself briefly chatting with Harley after the show.  He gets around with a walker nowadays, but he still did a spot at the end where he decked Trevor Murdoch.  Spent most of the conversation wondering to myself "What do you say to HARLEY RACE?"

Open with, "your Majesty..."

I'm jealous. He's one of those guys on my list of "famous people I'd actually like to talk to." I've met famous people who I couldn't give two shits about and even less AFTER meeting them so I don't get start struck real easily. Harley would be a different story.

I'm guessing Liger/Breeze starts the show and Baron Corbin's match gets slotted between the women and the NXT Championship match.