DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I'm interested to see how NXT navigates its twin goals of being developmental for raw guys with being a better indie-style promotion than most actual indies.

I think they have an interesting idea of how to present the people that need work and are raw as heels that are aware of how much the fans don't respect their rawness (Baron Corbin, Dana Brooke, Eva Marie), but I don't know if that will be effective long-term if they do it with everyone. I think the answer might be more stuff like putting raw acts like your Jason Jordans with really good in-ring guys like Chad Gable or giving them gimmicks that appeal to the NXT crowd like the silly-fun Vaudevillains gimmick (though I think English is a pretty good worker). 

The only people that will be able to get away with being raw in-ring in front of that crowd are guys with lots of charisma like Enzo and Cass. 

I'm guessing Liger/Breeze starts the show and Baron Corbin's match gets slotted between the women and the NXT Championship match.

I'm really hoping they get clearance to "Ikari no Jushin" for Liger's entrance. I think I would cry if he got some generic tune or one of their JAPANESEY themes.

• Like 1

MARCH 20, 2013: BAYLEY debuts in a match with Paige! And Bailey's character, as of now, is just of "wrestler making her debut." It's really weird to see. She works Paige's arms, and Paige does a good job and vocalizing pain. Paige quickly wins, though, with her early Lion Tamer-ish submissions. It's so weird to see Bayley in this incarnation. She, better than any of The Four Horsewomen, knows how to wrestle as her character. She pulls off childlike and innocent and fiery so incredibly well. Brooklyn is going to be absolutely fired up to see her win the NXT Woman's Title, and it could very well be the main event of a quasi-PPV. It's unbelievable, still, to think the NXT Women's Division would become so incredibly special, with Bayley a gigantic reason why. It's only had stories and angle for three months. There are only four characters -- Paige, Summer Rae, Audrey Marie and Sasha (who is terrible at her role).

APRIL 3, 2013 -- Paige/Sasha vs. Summer/Audrey Marie. I'm not watching the match -- it's about four minutes long from the recap I'm reading. But this is the first time NXT has folded two women's angles into one match. That's pretty standard now and doesn't seem like much. But the writers/whoever are paying attention to detail involving the women and see a way to advance multiple stories at once.

APRIL 10, 2013 -- Summer Rae gives a killer promo about being the First Lady of NXT and how she left on an iron the week before and had to flee her match as a result. But Emma trumps her in an career-making interview with Renee Young, where she compares her career to Lady Gaga and Madonna. Her delivery is perfect -- obtuse, self-centered and in a completely different reality than everyone else. From this point forward, the EMMALUTION begins. Also, this is stand-out work from Renee. No other interviewer could really do the furrowed brow "what are you talking about?" face to really get Emma's shtick over.

APRIL 17, 2013 -- Bayley against Emma. Bayley still hasn't developed her character yet, but Regal is already doing the "she's my niece's favorite!" bit. I wonder if that may have been the genesis of it? And this is the first time Emma and her dance are truly over, with someone making an Emma sign that includes dancing arms. Also, Emma climbs into the rings with the ropes for the first time correctly, too. NXT has finally developed a second babyface. A lot has to do with the really forgiving Full Sail crowd, who are willing to get behind a character who essentially is a walking Seinfeld one-off plot. But Emma also deserves a lot of credit for getting it over and fully committing to her social awkwardness.

MAY 1, 2013 -- A video package about the Summer Rae/Paige feud as we get into the climax of the first NXT Woman's Division feud. It's a pretty simple one. Summer Rae, the ring announcer, is jealous of Paige's success. And when Paige bumps into her accidentally, she snaps and attacks Paige. They've gone tit-for-tat as Summer Rae plays Mean Girl perfectly. She's a really good foil for the uber-serious anti-diva Paige, who gets to expand her range to anger and a quest for revenge.

The match starts wonderfully. Paige comes out first and walks to the ring, only for cheap shot artist Summer Rae to clock her from behind. (She did this in an interview two weeks ago.) But angry Paige unleashes on Summer Rae. This goes back and forth and has an ad break. Summer Rae does a good Indian Death Lock and other moves using her length. The end comes after Paige gets control. The bratty Summer Rae tries to walk out (like she did in an earlier tag match) and screams "I DON'T NEED THIS!" Paige runs out and whips her hard into the ring apron and then finishes her with the Paige Turner.

This isn't a match that will blow your mind away. But it's the longest NXT Women's match to date and tells a really solid, tight story. They really trust Paige, who is really experienced, and it shows. Summer Rae also did a lot of nice, simple work for someone so green.

This is the first decent NXT Woman's match. This is the next step in the division.

• Like 1

JUNE 12, 2013 -- Bayley as we've come to know her debuts. Renee has to coax her out to do an interview. "I like robots." That's the first thing Bayley says. It's marvelous. Renee plays it perfectly -- like it's sweet and she doesn't condescend to Bayley at all. Later, Bayley has a first round match against Alicia Fox. The crowd hasn't yet seen this incarnation of Bayley, but they get it immediately. She's SO good at the facial expressions and body language and mannerisms of playing a (wo)man-child. She nailed it immediately. The match itself is okay, too. Bayley starts with wanting to hug Alicia, who has no idea what to make of this. Bayley does the whole "I'M FIRED UP!" thing, but has yet to add in the hair knot part of it, and attacks Alicia and hits her with an awesome Exploder Suplex.

JULY 10, 2013 -- Emma vs. Summer Rae in the semi-finals of the tournament isn't much, but Summer Rae screams "YOU'LL NEVER DANCE AGAIN!" while working over Emma's arm. Awesome. Bayley is backstage gushing over Dusty Rhodes, to the point where she calls him "Mr. American Dream." She gets even more awestruck when The Nature Boy appears along with Charlotte! Dusty says he's looking for an opponent for Charlotte. Bayley volunteers. They shake hands. Flair comes back and woos, and Bayley does the same. While this was Charlotte's first appearance, this did way more for Bayley. We now see she's awestruck and wants to be friends with everyone and willing to extend that to Charlotte. Awesome segment.

• Like 1

I am disappointed to hear about WW/NXT trying to rub out indies now too. A monopoly is shitty for business, especially in a creative/entertainment business.

• Like 3

While it's shitty, they're doing indies better than indies are doing indies right now.  It's not like they're getting all these guys and letting them go to waste.

I don't think WWE is sabotage the indies, ROH maybe. For every Balor and Owens they grab there's a Gabriel and Hawkins coming back to the Indie circuit. I understand that everyone wont be like CJP and ask for a release but its more of an option for guys now. The indies seem to be healthy right now and WWE isnt going to stop future endeavoring guys to spite the indies.

I really miss Audrey Marie, really dug her look. She wasn't anything special in ring but she wasn't bad either.

Don't even remember why they let her go anyways.

She left because the boom was starting....and they didn't make her a part of it. Paige was about to get the push and Total Divas was starting....she was about to get left.

I wish Marie, Maxine & Trent Baretta could have just held on for 1 more year....they could have been great pieces to what NXT is now IMO.

If LU doesn't get a second season Maxine needs to come back.

Wasn't Audrey Marie in the first Wyatt Family swamp vignettes? Or was that Paige?

It was Audrey Marie. As I recall, she was on a tree branch in one of them. Those vignettes got me so excited for the Wyatt's. I should have known better.

While it's shitty, they're doing indies better than indies are doing indies right now.  It's not like they're getting all these guys and letting them go to waste.

What does doing indies better than indies mean?

Well, having in their three-year tenure had Tyler Black, Jon Moxley, Sami Callihan, El Generico, Kevin Steen, William Regal, Claudio Castagnoli, KENTA, Prince Devitt, Samoa Joe and Jushin Liger, I don't think it's "indy better than indies" so much as "Fire Pro better than most Fire Pro players."

Well, having in their three-year tenure had Tyler Black, Jon Moxley, Sami Callihan, El Generico, Kevin Steen, William Regal, Claudio Castagnoli, KENTA, Prince Devitt, Samoa Joe and Jushin Liger, I don't think it's "indy better than indies" so much as "Fire Pro better than most Fire Pro players."

Aww, you make Hero cry.

Aww, you make Hero cry.

Why, did he take food off his plate or something?