DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Triple H further trying to make NXT in the world greatest indy promotion by using international stars not working for them.  Granted it is Liger and not someone with a huge current name value like KUSHIDA or Nakamura but still something.    

Given Liger propensity for liking oddly popular characters, it only makes sense that we get Liger vs Enzo Amore or Liger vs Simon Gotch  

Has ROH changed the start time of their show scheduled on the same day featuring New Japan stars as well?   If not that is really odd he would work opposite the show with other New Japan guys

Triple H further trying to make NXT in the world greatest indy promotion by using international stars not working for them.  Granted it is Liger and not someone with a huge current name value like KUSHIDA or Nakamura but still something.    

Given Liger propensity for liking oddly popular characters, it only makes sense that we get Liger vs Enzo Amore or Liger vs Simon Gotch  

Triple H using the entire WWE machine to compete with ROH is truly a wonderful thing.

That worked for Raven, though.  "What about me? What about Raven?"

Oh, I think it would work great for her. A constant stream of self-pity would only make the crowd boo even more.

What happens when the tag champs split up? Is he really gonna wrestle as "Blake"?

It worked for Gunner.

Oh yeah, and with the slowed down WWE pace, Liger won't look out of place at all.  He had a very good match with Adam Cole last year.  He can't do all the moves he used to do, but he's still incredibly smart.  He'll put Breeze over like a champ.  How surreal is this though?  Not just because it's Liger, but the idea of WWE bringing in a non-contracted "name" wrestler is so outside of their usual habit.  I really do hope it means a working agreement similar to what WCW had.  Maybe we get another Japan supershow like the one in 1990!

In what is a major political move, New Japan Pro Wrestling has booked Jushin Liger to appear on 8/22 for WWE on its NXT Brooklyn show, to face Tyler Breeze.

New Japan had already booked Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada and Kushida for ROH that same night, also in Brooklyn.

There are other significant moves being made behind-the-scenes that don't involve New Japan, regarding NXT and ROH that are likely to become evident in short order. 

That was what was just posted on the WON site

Now on to 2013

JANUARY 9, 2013 -- This is the debut of DANCIN' EMMA! She comes out doing this dance without Full Sail reacting at all, aside for one or two people who catch on and do the dance. Emma is already great at this, with this really "I am so impressed with myself" face when she gets into the ring. When her music ends, she's absolutely befuddled as to why. Emma also holds her ears in disgust/agony when Paige's nu-metal is playing. This match is short but it actually tells a physical story. Emma's working heel here and works Paige's knee. There's nothing fancy -- the fanciest move is a half-crab. But she does a great job with her facial expressions showing her spaciness perfectly. Paige does a good job throughout showing pain and the like. She wins with her Paige Turner sort of out of nowhere.

But this is something that's a really significantly leap. Paige was the first woman with any sort of persona. Emma's was the second one that stuck. (Audrey Marie started to have something going on but was hurt.)

JANUARY 23, 2013 -- Sasha Banks beats Alicia Fox for her first win! And this is, from what I've watched, the best NXT woman's match so far. It's a nice little story. Sasha shocks Alicia early with a very crisp headscissors that pops the crowd. But Alicia uses her size, strength and experience to ground Sasha and also hit her patented bridge suplex, that Regal puts over huge. Sasha mounts a comeback and breaks out the knuckle run off the turnbuckle thing Eddie Guerrero used to do ("Her favorite wrestler!") Sasha then gets the win with a roll-up after a bodyslam by Fox, for the shocking pin. This match is also historic because it's the one where Regal absolutely buries whatever clown is the play-by-play guy. The play by play guy tries to call Sasha "The Small Package."

JANUARY 30, 2013 -- Okay, NOW things take a huge leap forward. Paige has a match against (ugh) Aksana, who is so incredibly bad. She ends up getting the win. She accidentally bumps into the ring announcer after the match and apologizes. The ring announcer nods her head and then SNEAK ATTACK! She jumps Paige from behind. This is how SUMMER RAE is introduced into our lives! This then goes right back to Renee Young, who is interviewing a jubilant Sasha still on cloud nine after her first win. The interview ends with someone sending a secret admirer's note to a very thrilled Sasha.

So, now is when the NXT Women actually start to get storylines. It took seven months, but now it's time. It makes some sense as to why. It's clear to understand why the men would get all of the actual narrative to start, because who the hell knew what was going to come? Plus, the men's division had a lot of really great performers -- Rollins, Big E, Roman, Bray, Kassius, Corey Graves, etc. They had to build the World Title first. And then mid-card feuds. And the women's angles started right when the tag feud started.

But on Jan. 30, 2013, Paige has cemented herself as the "anti-diva" who has garnered a big following. Sasha Banks is a happy-go-lucky rookie. Emma's a ditz. And Summer Rae has just started to become a total snot. And now we actually have some stories beginning.

FEBRUARY 13, 2013 -- And now this is starting to get awesome. Mike "Tyler Breeze" Dalton is in the ring for a match against Axl Keegan, with ring announcer Summer Rae. But low and behold, PAIGE storms the ring and Summer fells. Paige holds the ring hostage. Last week, she told Dusty she would do just that unless she had a match against Summer Rae. Keegan asks Paige to leave and is met with a slap in the face. The men leave as Paige stays there until Dusty comes out to talk. He orders Paige out, and she won't go. This continues until Summer Rae, hiding behind Dusty, says she is the first lady of NXT and the promotion now belongs to her. Paige and her get into a pullapart (Dusty, duh, is awesome). Paige somehow hurts her left arm in all of this.

This leads to their match later in the show. Paige's arm is taped. Summer Rae, who is obviously super cagey, knows to go after the hurt arm. She does a lot of good arm work, using her long legs to do so. She makes awesome faces throughout. She is out on the floor at one point when Paige reaches with her hurt arm to try and bring her back in. Summer snaps the arm across the rope, which gives her enough room for her spin kick and the pin. And Summer's shock win gets a ton of heat from the crowd.

This is the most important episode to date. Paige has become a crowd favorite. They have enough faith in her to now carry multiple segments. And Summer, although green, has the acting chops to pull off being a mean girl. The match is short, but tells the story -- hothead Paige was manipulated by the opportunistic Summer Rae. And all of this is told over a two-week build.

I would say this is where it all began. We still haven't had any matches that are what we've come to expect. But the NXT Women are now being treated seriously. They finally have characters and stories. There is so much more to come.

• Like 2

The spoilers the next month of shows look nice. I can't believe they are actually bringing in Liger to face Breeze. The match could be terrible and I think I would still be excited just for seeing Liger in a WWE/NXT ring.

The reaction to the Liger announcment at Full sail was hilarious. I thought it was a joke till I saw it on the official NXT twitter. Lot of people didn't seem to know who Liger was and others popped for it. Glad to see Breeze will be on the card as he's been lost in the shuffle lately.

After tonight's tapings, this is the card for Takeover

Owens vs Balor

Bayley vs Sasha for the women's title

Baron Corbin vs Samoa Joe

Liger vs Breeze

I'm guessing a rematch for the tag titles between Vaudevillans and BAMF. Maybe a fatal four way with Enzo/Cass and the Hype bros.

Ohhhhh shiiiit so excited for that Women's Title match. Actually, excited for everything on that list. TakeOver Brooklyn is gonna be good.

They got Liger to come in, now I want Muta to come in too. I don't care if he doesn't have knees, I love Muta. 

Nobody seems to be saying it but Chad Gable is Kurt Angle 2.0 yeah? Guy is going to be a star if they handle things right.

In fact Id go so far as to have him be the one to dethrone Cena in some sort of bizzaro, alt universe "Ruthless Aggression" scenario.

Then when he drops the belt he goes into the tag team with Jordan on the main roster, builds his stable with the other Shoot Nation guys and they can run things for a while.

*ahem*

I remember when Kurt Angle debuted and he hadn't done a promo for a couple matches (I still loved the heck out of him because I already saw his personality when he did the talk show circuit after his gold), then he picked up the mic and talked and the rest was history. I see a glimmer of that, a very similar personality in Gable.

Ready... willing... and Gable.

• Like 1

It's hard not to think Angle when looking for a pro comp for Gable just because of the amateur background, but Angle was a self-depricating goofball when he debuted. Gable seems to have more confidence and flashiness about him while still being a little goofy, kind of like Jericho.

1) Tyler Breeze vs. Jushin Lyger is a dream match none of us ever actually knew was possible. I'm, like, so insanely excited for that match. It's so random and awesome.

2) Chad Gable reminds me of Al Snow in Smokey Mountain so much. Obviously they wrestle completely different but their mannerisms are really similar. His post-match promo and Gable's stuff also has that same really misplaced confidence.

Liger?!?

Guys, the Triple H runs the show era is going to be so amazing and weird and weirdly amazing and amazingly weird.

Also, I was expecting that to be the women's title match after Monday and all I can say is: Oh. Fuck. Yes.

• Like 1

It's hard not to think Angle when looking for a pro comp for Gable just because of the amateur background, but Angle was a self-depricating goofball when he debuted. Gable seems to have more confidence and flashiness about him while still being a little goofy, kind of like Jericho.

Wuh... okay, now I'm questioning my own memories of his debut because I swear he was brash and over confident. A bit of goof too sure but self-depricating?