DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Charlotte/Sasha was a total fight. Too bad we don't see more matches in WWE with people trying to rip each other apart. It made it feel like an actual accomplishment when Sasha won the match. Gable was pretty awesome, and their finisher was great. Bland and Murphy continue to be not very good. If it wasn't for Alexa that act would be a total dud. Corbin the smart hero killer should be fun.

Chad Gable rules. That finisher they busted out was nuts. Gable's combination of being an actual wrestler combined with a whole goofball/toolbag shtick reminds me a lot of SMW-era Al Snow. If he busts out "I'm going to go have me some sex" in a promo, I'll be set.

That Baron Corbin promo was golden. "They were paid in chips and hot dogs." BWAHAHAHAHA

The post-match beatdown by the BAMF was great. I loved that version of her finish. Total jerks.

All of this stuff is just a prelude, though, to Sasha/Charlotte. What a great, great, great match. I love how Sasha's new thing is using her opponents moves. This makes sense kayfabe training wise -- when you're scouting your opponent, you learn their moves, so why not learn how to use them since they might not expect it?

But this match had everything I love about professional wrestling in one match: strategy, taunting, one-upmanship, brawling, technical prowess, emotion, tension, HAIR being ripped out of a scalp and then ultimately respect between two awesome competitors as they wrapped up their two-year or so journey together. That end was absolutely insane. Charlotte looked like she was about to snap in half. What an athlete to be able to bend your body like that to put over a submission hold.

Good luck, WWE Divas. You're about to get shown the door.

• Like 2

Best part of the Corbin promo was that for some of the guys that was 100% true.  Especially then they showed Solomon Crowe who got many a Ian Rotten pay days of hot dogs and chips.  Although I have no idea what conference he got these rings from because it sure as hell wasn't in a BCS conference

Crazy fantasy (NXT inspired booking): An eight-woman tournament to crown Nikki's #1 contender.  If they're starting with a reset, might as well start from scratch, and a tournament would give them opportunities to get their characters over and create/reinforce new/existing rivalries.

You could expand it to 16 people to give all of the new people a chance to win one match by including Nattie, Emma, Cameron, Summer, Rosa, err... Blue Pants?  I'm drawing a blank on the now deemed unimportant divas.

16 would be fun to watch, no way we ever see a 16 person tourney in WWE tho,

Layla

Natalya

Brie Bella

Naomi

Tamina

Becky

Bayley

Charlotte

Emma

Carmella

Sasha

Alexa

Alicia

Paige

Dana Brooke

Summer Rae

...Wouldn't that be cool? I didn't even have to add Eva or Cameron lol

• Like 1

Seriously, this NXT Women's division is probably my favorite "division" in wrestling since the heyday of the WCW Cruiserweights, or 2004-2005 X-Division.  Charlotte/Sasha was just great, especially when Charlotte just went fucking mental.  I love that it was a completely different style match than Sasha/Lynch, and found a way to be excellent with a different style.

Realizing that much of my love of NXT is based on the women.  I fear for what happens if all the top names just go strictly main roster.

LOVE Chad Gable.  Dude is just smooth as hell, and has a chance to really standout if they keep letting him actually be a technical wrestler.

• Like 1

Man, Chad Gable(and that team finish) was great. Get Jordan to show some more personality in the ring and this team would be golden. The Baron Corbin segment was something that's been needed for a while now.

Really wish the Vaudevillans had been the ones to beat the Dragons and build to Enzo and Cass winning the titles because Blake and Murphy are incredibly fucking boring even with Bliss added to the act.

I can see why they're doing what they're doing. Cass and Enzo are going to be over in NXT with or without the titles, which is why the Vaudvillians are in the title match: They need the boost. Cass and Enzo do not. That said, as a fan it is a trifle disappointing.

It's kinda weird for how good NXT is booked, that the tag titles seem to stick to the most boring team in the divison. It might have been premature to call these guys the next T&A, because those two at least had enough presence to give Trish a platform to get over, while Alexa seems to be getting sucked into the black hole of Blake and Murphy's boringness. Their triple team finisher looked alright, though.

Chad Gable looks like a stud. I remember he looked way better than he had any right to in a squash match with Tyler Breeze a few months back, and he really brought it in his official debut. Plus he's showing a lot of charisma, getting chants and everything. Jordan will benefit a lot teaming with him, but he's gonna really need to find some charisma of his own if he doesn't wanna be left in the dust in a few months.

The Corbin video was another good one. They just need to make those for everyone. It's such a simple way to keep someone relevant and fresh in people's minds without clogging up TV time.

I'm not sure they're headed in the right direction with Eva Marie. Believe it or not, I don't think she screams natural heel. Based on what I've seen from her Total Divas persona, she acutally seems like a genuinely sweet person deep down, even if she's a bit oblivious at times and makes head-scratching life choices. She's not a very good actress, but one emotion she's pretty good at conveying is being hurt because she has no idea why people wouldn't support her. Of course the crowd's gonna boo her, so you have to work with that, but I think going straight antagonist heel right off the bat with her is a bit lazy and doesn't play to her (thus far limited) strengths. She has "heel who thinks she's a face" written all over her.

Sami Zayn always seems to cut the realest promos in wrestling. It's impossible not to like that guy, hope he can make it back as a surprise Rumble entrant.

Sasha/Charlotte was good, but definitely not as good as their R-Evolution match. This one felt a little more disjointed at times, and the trash talking didn't feel as heated, probably because the post-match stuff felt very real. The finishing stretch was nice though, with the extensions coming out, not breaking the figure 4, and that Melina-like submission-selling flexibility from Charlotte. It was also nice to see their match get the legit main event hype throughout the show.

Sami is what Ricky Steamboat was 30 years ago, what Sting was 20 years ago and what Rey Mysterio was 10 years ago: He is the best pure babyface in the company and additionally to his credit, he's the one guy that doing the nice guy act works for in 2015 because he is able to connect with the audience by talking to them, not at them.

And tonight, he talked TO the audience and it worked.

But, at the same time, somebody must have deemed Sara not photogenic enough for an on-camera working role. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's one part laughable and one part shitty that there's this supposed revolution in WWE female wrestling, led by a woman they didn't let on TV. "She's talented but not sexy enough, so let's make her a trainer." Don't kid yourselves, dudes. "Hot" is still the number one factor in WWE hiring women. We're removed from the days of Johnny Ace hiring models from bikini catalogs, but not that far removed.

And the thing about that really chaps my ass is this: Sara Del Rey IS really fucking hot.

• Like 2

Was it ever not good? I mean yeah, Sasha has grown into an elite role, but Paige was always good down there, and Emma was good as soon as she was put in the spot. Heck, in that time Summer Rae was having some solid stuff with Paige. So basically it's been good since before they introduced the Womens Belt, though they didn't have the full out Ace that Sasha has became.

Was it ever not good? I mean yeah, Sasha has grown into an elite role, but Paige was always good down there, and Emma was good as soon as she was put in the spot. Heck, in that time Summer Rae was having some solid stuff with Paige. So basically it's been good since before they introduced the Womens Belt, though they didn't have the full out Ace that Sasha has became.

Yea, it's been pretty good from jump. That's why I weep so much for what Summer Rae has become because she was such an awesome alpha bitch in early NXT. 

Sara Del Rey would have been an awesome monster heel. But if she's fine being a trainer, I'll take that too. 

I dug Sasha/Charlotte too. Those two don't know how to have a bad match against one another. The cool thing about the NXT women moving up is that it will allow the new NXT women to shine. I think people are gonna be singing the praises of Jessi McKay real soon. 

Gable looks damn good in the ring. He pretty much has the complete package with how great his charisma is in or out of the ring.

Main event was physical and viscous, these two seem to change it up every time they clash. It was freakin' great.

My Dictator Can't Be This Cute...

zmx66ANl.jpg

NXT! NXT! NXT!

The tag champs are boring but Alexis is hot. The Vaudvillains will be a refreshing change.

FINALLY, they've decided to try and find Cobin's personality. Squash matches didn't do it. Letting him speak might.

Chad Gable is a slick fucking worker and that fact that he's going to be playing the jock/douche role as well tells me we're in for a fun ride with this guy.

JOE IS GONNA KILL YOU! I want to see more Joe. I hope they have plans for he and Corbin to clubber the shit out of each other very soon. (Internet darlings being called out in the vignette made this feel like a possibility.)

The "New Day Clap" being applied to things not New Day related doesn't need to be a thing.

THAT MAIN EVENT! Goddamn was that fun. That was what a great wrestling match should be. The emotion that was displayed, from Charlotte snapping and going into "NOW I'M GONNA MURDER THIS LITTLE SHIT" mode to Sasha in tears at the end of the match. It was all there. It wasn't Sasha/Becky but it was close. Once again, I called Sasha one of the best in the world a few days ago. I'm sticking to it.

I love NXT. Vince might not like it but, the fact is, NXT is pro-wrestling and pro-wrestling is great.