DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I don't even know if she's better than Becky Lynch, let alone top ten on the entire planet. 

I like Sasha but no way I'm saying she's better than people like Owens, Zayn (even hurt) or Balor...or even Breeze.

lol Zayn and Owens I can understand, but Sasha is easily above Balor and Breeze. I can't even fathom someone saying Balor is better at pro wrestling than Sasha Banks. Becky is comparable in ring, but as an all around act Sasha kills her. Of the active guys right now in WWE only Cena and Owens are in her league.

Let's take into account the limited opponents Sasha has too work, and the fact that nearly all of them are inexperienced. Now look at the male side where guys get to work 10-15 year traveled veterans even in NXT. Balor gets to work Neville, Itami, Owens, Rhyno, Kendrick, Breeze etc while Sasha works mostly girls with fewer than 3 years experience.

The one time she got to wrestle a world traveled veteran she put on one of the 3 best WWE matches of the year.

Limited opponents? Emma, Bayley and Becky Lynch have 8 years, 7 years and 13 years of experience, respectively. Hell, even Jessie (Jessie McKay) has 7 years in the business. Charlotte and Alexa Bliss have around 2 years, granted, but are fantastic. It's not like Sasha is carrying the division on her back, everyone is baring that weight as well. Everyone in that division is insanely talented, and honestly I would have a hard time choosing who my preferred worker is on any given day. That's a testament to everyone's talent involved, not just one woman. Sasha is good, but she's not THE division.

If you're going to talk about "3 years experience", Sasha only has 5.

I kinda checked out when I saw Tanahashi referred to as mediocre.  Like dude hasn't been shitting out stellar matches on a bi-monthly basis since 2007.

I don't get it when it comes to Tanahashi. I don't religiously keep up with NJPW, but I see all the big stuff that people talk about. He's like a clearly-not-as-good John Cena, IMO. But that's getting off-topic here. We just prefer what we prefer, as that Skelemania post represented. I won't decry him as being over-the-top about thinking Tanahashi is great, but I think it's sort of silly to accuse someone else being over-the-top about Sasha Banks.

Personally, I'd never make a "top worker in the world" claim because I know that I don't see enough stuff to make that claim. Like, I know next-to-nothing about Lucha and only watch select stuff from the indies (mostly the guys like Thatcher and Busick because I am apparently a huge mark for joint work). However, I see Sasha Banks having great matches all the time on NXT and can't see how it's that crazy to elevate her as at least one of the workers on top of their game right now in the whole wrestling landscape. Placement after that is just quibbling (the kind of fun quibbling that is fascinating to read when it produces great arguments). 

I kinda checked out when I saw Tanahashi referred to as mediocre.  Like dude hasn't been shitting out stellar matches on a bi-monthly basis since 2007.

What Tanahashi have you been watching the last couple years?  If its not a big show, dude has it planted firmly in "coast".  Not hard to have stellar matches with Nakamura, Okada, and Styles these days either.  But that's for the other forum.

Saying Becky has "13 years of experience" is incredibly misleading, let's be real here. She took about 10 years off in the middle.

....no she didn't?

Retired due to Concussion Issues from like 06 to 13 or so. So 10 years is a bit of an overstatement, but she wasn't competing for a very long time.

in ring time, they are very close in experience. like 1 year apart.

Like I don't even disagree with your point. I'm the biggest Rebecca Knox mark you will ever find. I thought her 2/3 falls match with Daizee in Shimmer was legitimately a top 5 MOTY list match for me in 06. But saying she has "13 years of experience" is kinda silly when she spent more then half the time out of the industry.

But she spent 7 years with no in ring time. 

The point is the men in WWE/NXT have much more experienced world traveled opponents to work with and learn from that the women do. How many 15 year vets is Sasha going to able to learn from in the ring?

The point is the men in WWE/NXT have much more experienced world traveled opponents to work with and learn from that the women do. How many 15 year vets is Sasha going to able to learn from in the ring?

Didn't Paige start when shes was like 10 or something so thats 10+ years

Is there a woman wrestling today with 15 years of experience?

Serious question. I feel like I'm overlooking someone obvious.

Mercedes Martinez's first match was in 2000. 

Of course, the biggest fallacy in this entire thing is the idea that a female wrestler can only learn from a female wrestler. Sure they can only wrestle them (in theory), but the entire point of the NXT training deal is the level of trainers there. I strongly doubt that if Jessie McKay asks William Regal for advice he's going to respond "I'd love to help you Jessie, but you have a Vagina, and thus aren't in my juristicton."

• Like 1

Of course, the biggest fallacy in this entire thing is the idea that a female wrestler can only learn from a female wrestler. Sure they can only wrestle them (in theory), but the entire point of the NXT training deal is the level of trainers there. I strongly doubt that if Jessie McKay asks William Regal for advice he's going to respond "I'd love to help you Jessie, but you have a Vagina, and thus aren't in my juristicton."

Well, to be fair, Demott just got fired a few months ago...

• Like 1

If you had a question to ask about wrestling and were with Sara Del Ray, William Regal, and even Billy Gunn, what question would you ask Bill DeMott other then "Hey Sir, do you know where Mr. Regal is?"

• Like 5

If you had a question to ask about wrestling and were with Sara Del Ray, William Regal, and even Billy Gunn, what question would you ask Bill DeMott other then "Hey Sir, do you know where Mr. Regal is?"

"How the fuck did you get this job and how did you keep it for so long?"

I love that, no matter how heated the argument gets about ranking wrestlers, we can all come together in fraternity over mocking Bill DeMott for being shitty.

Dark Angel/Sarita has been working since the late 1990's as well, I believe.

I hope she's coming into the company too. I like her. Her appearance as a runway model at the last NXT special gives me hope.