DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I'm amazed I still had a like for that gif.  Darn you, Hogan thread!

Regarding the women, is Sara the agent for their matches?  If so, that's pulling some double duty between the road and at the Performance Center.  I feel maybe they should consider bringing in another well-respected women's wrestler.  I know Sara Stock (Sarita) has been brought in, but not fully confident she'd fit that role as well as Sara does.

Regarding the women, is Sara the agent for their matches?  If so, that's pulling some double duty between the road and at the Performance Center.  I feel maybe they should consider bringing in another well-respected women's wrestler.  I know Sara Stock (Sarita) has been brought in, but not fully confident she'd fit that role as well as Sara does.

Somewhere, a certain someone senses a disturbance in The Force.

But the dirtsheets never said that.

• Like 1

SEPTEMBER 25, 2013 -- Bayley vs. Sasha Banks

This is Sasha's first match after her heel turn. Up until now, Sasha had been a dorky nerd type in an angle with Audrey Marie and forgotten about and used in jobber matches. She started getting some screen time when Summer Rae started getting in her head about doing what's best for her to get ahead. Sasha a few weeks previously had an okay match with Paige and lost, but snapped afterwards. She then started into the infamous ~NXT MIRROR~ and cackled with Summer Rae and became a heel.

This is the start of Sasha as we know her. She doesn't have her awesome theme music yet. She's out in your basic WWE Diva's Division Vegas Swimming Pool Acceptable ring gear. But we're starting to see the shape of everyone's favorite. She does the Jay-Z dirt shoulder thing and just has a look of general disdain.

Bayley is really over. The character has completely clicked and is firing on all cylinders. The crowd chants her name while Sasha has a tantrum and asks them to stop.

ALSO: Renee Young is on guest commentary. I think this is her first appearance in this role, which makes it the first time a woman in the WWE is in the announcers booth in an announcing/commentating position. Regal is also in the booth, too, and you can just tell how much he appreciates her absolutely stellar work.

The first move in this match is awesome. Bayley backs Sasha into the corner. The ref demands a break and Bayley double hi-fives Sasha. The crowd loves it and Sasha lips off like The Boss. She then absolutely slaps the crap out of Bayley. It's awesome. The crowd is booing the hell out of her and there is a slight "Holy Sh*t" chant. This is a really good match. Bayley makes good "I AM STICKING UP FOR MYSELF!" faces when she's transitioning to offense. Sasha's trash talk game is on point, with things like "HOW IS YOUR NOSE, BAYLEY?" and all sorts of fun things. My favorite is she goes on the top corner for the Eddy Guerrero hip toss thing and just stays up there for a while to taunt the crowd. Awesome.

Bayley hits the Belly-to-Bayley for a near finish. They haven't made that her finisher as of yet. Sasha does this awesome shove of Bayley's head to bounce off the rope and does a straightjacket neckbreaker thing for her finish. 1-2-3. This is a really good match.

OCTOBER 2, 2013

EMMA/SANTINO VS. SUMMER RAE/FANDANGO -- Summer's in the promotion/relegation zone and has begun her pairing with Fandango. I've written about this match a bunch already so I'll be shot. It's one of the greatest comedy matches of all-time and an absolute blast to watch. These types of matches are important. Wrestling, in general, is so incredibly dumb. Having levity to it makes it special.

• Like 1

Pulpy as in the band Pulp? I was always surprised ECW or somebody else didn't use 'This is Hardcore' somewhere.

I like Dana too and am not anti-Eva Marie. I kinda wish they were a bit further along so they could come in with Emma and be the read heel Divas on RAW (Team BAD are too good, Bellas don't really want to play consistent heels for whatever reason). If they can improve quickly enough though, I think that spot is there.

Pulpy as in the genre... I guess most apt would be The Last Dragon.

An Emma led BAD would be so freakin sweet.

The Bellas need to wholesale steal from LayCool ASAP!

(Thnx Greg, I totally overlooked the fact that the last two major women's heel turn involved the magic mirror. Bliss didn't need it, she already knew who was the prettiest.)

ALSO: Renee Young is on guest commentary. I think this is her first appearance in this role, which makes it the first time a woman in the WWE is in the announcers booth in an announcing/commentating position.

Sunny, Lita, Ivory, Boni Blackstone, and Mike McGuirk would all beg to differ.

I decided to skip around.

MAY 1, 2014 -- This is right after Paige was stripped of the NXT Title, since she won the WWE Title. They're having another tournament to crown the champion.

Sasha vs. Bailey is the first match of the tournament. Man, this match is really friggin' awesome. It's on par with the Paige/Emma match for the first NXT title. And this is the first round. It just really shows how much work everyone has put into this and how much trust everyone has that the core of the NXT Woman's Division is really remarkable. There is not one wasted second in this match and it's non-stop action. There are no wear-down submission-type moves in this at all. The story is really great. Bayley has been bullied by The BFFs for months now. She starts off super strong against Sasha. She hits Sasha with a bunch of rapid slaps to the back -- one of Sasha's trademark awful human being moves. Bayley is NOT messing around. It goes back and for a while (since they're essentially equals and have faced each other a whole bunch of times with mixed results), but Bayley has most of the match in her favor. And this leads to a really great ending sequence.

Bailey hits The Belly-To-Bayley (now her finisher), but she's winded and Sasha has enough time to roll out of the ring. Sasha drops Bayley across the top rope and uses it to hit Bankrupt, her straighjacket neckbreaker finisher. But Bayley kicks out, and Sasha's shocked. Sasha gives the ref lip, giving Bailey time to recouperate. Bayley now goes for another Belly-to-Bayley, but Sasha gets out of it and turns it into THE BANK STATEMENT submission, and it's awesome. I don't know if it's the first time she's used it, since it doesn't have a name yet. But Sasha has just one more finisher-type move in her arsenal than Bayley does, and that gets her the win.

Sasha's added in an awesome submission (and maybe she learned that by watching Paige, whose game stepped up with the PTO) and now she's ahead of Bayley in the food chain, but just by a little bit. She's The Boss.

The next match in the tournament is on the same show. It's NATALYA vs. LAYLA. This match is ass. It's not Aksana-level awful but it's nowhere in the same league as Bayley/Sasha. Layla's with Fandango now and has the dancing gimmick. Nattie is SERIOUS WORKER WHO LOVES NXT~! There are at least three ground segments, two of which are Layla yanking on Nattie's arms while putting a knee in her back and screaming COME ON NATTIE! (The NXT woman's version of this has been something that looks like a potential finish with Sasha or Summer screaming mad trash talk or Charlotte rolling over and ramming someone's skull into the mat.)

The strikes in this match are so bad. The NXT girls lay into each other. These are just weak clotheslines and the like, whereas Sasha will slap the taste out of a girl's mouth or Paige will nearly take off someone's skull with something. A lot of the submission stuff gets really awkward. There's a pin reversal for Nattie that is so clunky (compared to something like Charlotte's Web). Nattie sells her facial expressions like she's taking a dump.

The end sequence is pretty bad. Nattie goes for The Sharphooter, but Layla worms out of it. She goes for a sunset flip, but Nattie blocks and awkwardly grabs the leg and goes for The Sharpshooter. "LAYLA!!!!" She then hits it and Layla taps out.

There's no story to this at all, beyond I AM WINNING THIS MATCH NOW OH NO NOW YOU ARE! I mean, that type of thing is fine, but the basic execution isn't sharp. And there are no fun add-ons.

A lot of this is no doubt because of Layla's injury history and the like. She was REALLY fun in Lay Cool. I think she said at once "OWWW, MY BUTT HURTS" after a sunset flip or an atomic drop or something. She's rusty and Nattie's really hit-or-miss (mostly miss).

I think I'm more intruiged by this tag team from NXT house shows

Eva Marie and Lina Fanene

(linking rather than embedding, can't figure it out on my phone)

Before the formation of Team BAD I was wondering if Lina would skip NXT totally to be brought up to tag with Tamina (they are cousins).

I wonder if anyone will jump straight to the main roster anymore. Monster types often work best with an element of surprise, and can be protected in squashes and tags anyway.

If DB and Cesaro and Owens all had to go to the minors first, not sure who out there would be "big enough" to go straight to the main roster, unless they worked there previously?

Anyone from lucha or Japan would need to "learn wwe style, even Tanahashi or Okada or Rush. Same for Styles or Roode probably.