DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Yeah, had no idea that PSN started doing pre-loads.  But they did foul up and set the list to auto starting Sunday, but the file wasn't online until 5 EST.  Then it held off launching til Midnight today.  I won't get into it until this evening.

It's good! So glad this was released. I'm getting used to the new "alternative controls" option, but I might go back to the old controls. Played those games so much, that I'm just used to the tank controls, and anything else feels kinda odd.

I don't remember the zombies being so tough. Also, I only played through the Gamecube version once or twice so I don't remember all of these new rooms. So used to the old Playstation version where I had a good chunk of it memorized. I ran around aimlessly for an hour and had no idea where to go.

I think I figured out Luftrausers. Took some time for me to get comfortable with the control of the plane, but now that I got the hang of it, zipping in and out of a stream of enemy bullets and slicing them up is really satisfying. Took down my first blimp today.

Way deeper than I thought at first glance. KILLER music as well.

Hey I'm actually playing something at the same time as someone else here!

My reactions so far are kind of the opposite to yours. Kind of fell apart when I decided it was worth devoting some time to it (scoring system makes it hard to play directly for points and achievements are achievements) but I still remember the thrill when I first started it up and everything instantly felt great. I usually can make a good guess at whereabouts I'll be ranking a game after a short time and after my first 'make sure the game works' run I thought it was going to be one of the best. Ultimately that hope was squandered but it was nice to see an indie offering with such good foundations and I'm keeping an eye on Vlambeer because that's the hard bit done. I agree with the majority of this review.

I'm sure people are tired of me talking about this, but y'all should be keeping an eye on Nuclear Throne if Luftrausers grabbed you. It's a top down dungeon crawler action game that feels amazing and has such a great art style. It's in early access on steam right now, and they refuse to put it on sale until it's finished. Plus, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that the soundtrack is going to go down as all-time great. Here's the main theme, the first level theme, and the song from a weird bonus level.

I've had my eye on Nuclear Throne too. It's one of those games that seems destined to be "that quality game in that bundle" at some point and, since I already am pretty loaded up on roguelikes over the last year, I'm willing to wait on it. But it's the kind of thing I'd be surprised if I don't get around to it eventually.

It's on my wish list. I was hoping to see a price drop during the winter sale. I didn't realize it was still in Early Access, though. No idea if prices on those fluctuate too much.

Well, like I said, Vlambeer specifically refuses to put it on sale while it's on Early Access because they feel that offering a discount to what is essentially an unfinished product is unfair. TONS of steam greenlight developers don't feel this particular hangup, but Vlambeer's sticking to it. Although since people were asking for some way to convince people to buy it or play it, what they did for the winter sale was that everyone who bought a copy of Nuclear Throne was given a free gift copy through Steam to give to whoever they saw fit (mine's already gone before you ask).

The other really crazy thing they do is the developers livestream development with no like pay-to-access system or anything. So like when they'll integrate something to test it they'll turn on twitch and show people, whether its like sound effects or sprites or mechanics or whatever. They also release updates weekly, with every double numbered update (11, 22, 33, etc) coming with something big like levels or characters or the end boss (spoiler: it is a nuclear throne).

Basically Vlambeer is the best modern developer.

The whole Early Access thing on Steam has been... interesting.

There have been a LOT of outright bad projects where it's been a cash grab, or in some cases projects that went wrong with the best of intentions and sadly just ran into a funding wall (hello, Darkout, how I wish your ambition had been matched by your funding).

On the other hand you have stuff like 7 Days To Die, Nuclear Throne, and The Hunter: Primal which appear to have legitimate potential to be big deals and early access has clearly helped smaller developers push on. All three of those are games I would really like to play at some point and appear to be using early access as a legitimate tool that's funded them onwards.

I completed Uncharted 3. It's a bit of a bastard. Makes me want to try the earlier ones in the series. But now I've just started Mass Effect 2. Should I have tried to get my hands on the first one in the series before?

I completed Uncharted 3. It's a bit of a bastard. Makes me want to try the earlier ones in the series. But now I've just started Mass Effect 2. Should I have tried to get my hands on the first one in the series before?

Yes. Maybe more than any other series in history, YES.

I just saw the funniest moment on Twitch with Elite:

Guy hunting bounties.. gets mad when he thinks someone stole one of his kills. The guy messaged the other commander going "That wasn't polite, CMDR..", and basically told him to explain himself (and/or back off) or he was going to do something about the kill-steal.

When the other CMDR didn't respond, he starts attacking..

Meanwhile in Twitch Chat, the other commander (who was one of the stream viewers) is frantically trying to get his attention.. because for some reason he can't reply in game. The whole chat is losing their shit laughing..

Just about when the other CMDR is dead, the guy finally reads twitch chat "Holy shit, that's you?" and breaks off the attack..

He then did the gentlemanly thing and covered him on his way out of the system to go get repaired.

• Like 1

Guy hunting bounties.. gets mad when he thinks someone stole one of his kills. The guy messaged the other commander going "That wasn't polite, CMDR..", and basically told him to explain himself (and/or back off) or he was going to do something about the kill-steal.

Meanwhile in Twitch Chat, the other commander (who was one of the stream viewers) is frantically trying to get his attention.. because for some reason he can't reply in game. The whole chat is losing their shit laughing..

Just about when the other CMDR is dead, the guy finally reads twitch chat "Holy shit, that's you?" and breaks off the attack..

He then did the gentlemanly thing and covered him on his way out of the system to go get repaired.

Holy crap that sounds hilarious and almost EVE Online-esque.

I have zero idea what game you're talking about.

• Like 1

Oh yeah. I bought the Jackbox Party Pack for the PS4 and played it with 6 other friends at one of their houses the other night. It was such a blast. My voice was hoarse from laughing so much. Easily some of the best money I've spent on a game and it's only $25. Fibbage and Drawful are so much fun.