DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Played a little over an hour of the Battlefield: Hardline beta on PS4. I was disappointed with the alpha last summer and only marginally less unimpressed after playing this iteration. The balancing is awful, it's not very fun, the graphics are a step back, the map design around the bank vault isn't working like I think they would want it to. Just a mess that isn't very much fun to play, which is a shame since I was looking forward to playing Battlefield cops 'n robbers after seeing the rad E3 trailer. If anything, it made me want to go back and play BF 4 because that game was just about as good as it could've been. 

It's doing my head in with it's habit of deciding I've got infinite ammo, then one mission later I've got some ammo at all, and then when I go out of my way to pick up as many bullets as possible (because it doesn't let you buy any) then I have no ammo at all because the game thinks that makes it more interesting.

Played through the prologue of Witcher 2. I'm enjoying the world and the lore, but I'm not sold on the combat just yet. I also need to play around with the control scheme because, on the 360, at least, cycling through your spells is a hassle.

It's doing my head in with it's habit of deciding I've got infinite ammo, then one mission later I've got some ammo at all, and then when I go out of my way to pick up as many bullets as possible (because it doesn't let you buy any) then I have no ammo at all because the game thinks that makes it more interesting.

Kinda like every FPS ever. Hey, you just completed one section and carefully loaded up on ammo and kept that really awesome gun? Well, we're moving you to a new spot, taking away all your grenades and giving you back that crappy standard-issue assault rifle you don't want.

Clear level 6 in the downtown pimping side missions and you'll get dual uzis with infinite ammo. I played through the game several times and I would do this right from the beginning. I think SR2 was one of the best open world games on PS3. 3 and 4 were fun but too over the top, especially 4

• Like 1

Digital download of Assassin's Creed Unity for Xbone for $16.75:

Link here

It's an amazing game and WELL worth $17.  Go buy it.

I've never seen that website before, how does it even work?  I didn't know Microsoft or Sony allowed re-selling of digital downloads at a discount.  But I wouldn't think they would get enough 'purchased but re-sold' codes to have a big sale like that.

Clear level 6 in the downtown pimping side missions and you'll get dual uzis with infinite ammo. I played through the game several times and I would do this right from the beginning. I think SR2 was one of the best open world games on PS3. 3 and 4 were fun but too over the top, especially 4

Thanks, that worked great. The game was getting to be putting me in pretty impossible situations, and now it's not doing. Also, I found out how to do Strongholds, and that the reason the final Ronin mission wasn't appearing was because you have to take all their territory before you can kill their end boss.

Now I know that subsequent games in this series get very weird, with Superpowers and Dubstep guns, but I don't see how they could get to that from what this game is. Easy to see how the franchise might lose as many people as it gains, doing things like that.

CROSSY ROAD - Frogger, but, Voxels, but, chicken noises. It's hard to express why it's fun, but it's really easy to pick up and it's my go to "eh, I have five minutes" game now. Unless I'm in public, then it's still Desert Golfing.

DIVINITY ORIGINAL SIN - or, Fallout and the Holy Grail. An exceptionally silly game. Being a co-op game, you can use it to get into some dumb goddamn situations i.e. arguing over digging up a grave, when suddenly a seduction option appears for him, leading to me screaming "don't you dare try to fuck me" over skype. Excellent.

MONSTER HUNTER 4 DEMO - Is Monster Hunter. Really pretty. Kind of stunned that online play just fucking works.

Been playing the Resident Evil HD Remaster on PS4. That game still kicks my ass

Jill or Chris? I did both, and it was definitely harder than I remember it being. Especially the beginning when you don't have much ammo or weapons in general. Jill>>>>>>Chris though.

CROSSY ROAD - Frogger, but, Voxels, but, chicken noises. It's hard to express why it's fun, but it's really easy to pick up and it's my go to "eh, I have five minutes" game now. Unless I'm in public, then it's still Desert Golfing.

I got way into Crossy Road right around Christmas. My niece was playing it and she had one of her occasional cocky moments where she thought she was better at video games than me. I made it my mission to destroy her, of course, just as a friendly reminder that I've been gaming almost 3x longer than she's been alive.

My high score right now is in the 250s, I think. Dunno how good that is in comparison to most, but I've doubled her and that's what matters!

Been playing the Resident Evil HD Remaster on PS4. That game still kicks my ass

Jill or Chris? I did both, and it was definitely harder than I remember it being. Especially the beginning when you don't have much ammo or weapons in general. Jill>>>>>>Chris though.

Been doing Jill. Unlike 2 or 3 you don't get much ammo

I felt that way at first too. But you'll have more than enough by the end. Just make sure you save most of your magnum rounds for the last boss. You will most likely have enough grenade rounds and shotgun rounds for the Chimera enemies in the final lab area also. Unless you're just going around shooting everything with your shotgun and grenade launcher right now.

Playing Battlefield 4.  Okay, they still kept the bogus internet browser way of starting the game.  That's 100 demerits.  Then, I got into a game and was a FNG engineer running the machine gun with some super experienced tank guy and we were just kicking ass and not dying.  +100.  Then, I played some of the main game and just couldn't stop doin' Omar quotes.  + 1 points. Then it glitched out in that China hotel and I jumped out a window and landed on the ground with no damage.  Ran around shooting at weird half rendered buildings. Overall I rate this game a 1.

• Like 1

I felt that way at first too. But you'll have more than enough by the end. Just make sure you save most of your magnum rounds for the last boss. You will most likely have enough grenade rounds and shotgun rounds for the Chimera enemies in the final lab area also. Unless you're just going around shooting everything with your shotgun and grenade launcher right now.

Yeah.  Big thing is once you get the hang of playing, don't shoot anything unless you have to.  At least the zombies.  Save your shotgun/grenade/magnum rounds for Hunters/Chimeras/bosses.  

Chris' game is harder than Jill's, because of the 6 slots instead of 8, not starting with a gun, needing an extra step to get the shotgun, no grenade launcher, and you *have* to fight Plant 42.  (Yeah, the Rebecca V-Jolt sidequest is there, but it doesn't kill it like it does in Jill's).