DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Guest The Magnificent 7

Lots of games on sale on Xbone for Gold members.  I snagged Alien Isolation for 24 and Sniper Elite 3 for 10. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah I've been waiting for it to come down from full price.  And since I beat Mordor I need a non-sports game (I play PES all the time) to play before BF Hardline comes out. 

Well I've still been playing Volgarr the Viking from time to time with the kids.  Game is crazy difficult, but I like it a lot. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah I played the beta for two nights.  The first night I played Heist and hated it. What sounded like a cool idea about bank robbing turned out to be another run around like a loon and spray bullets from both sides. 

The second night I played Hotwire and really dug it.  In that game k / d ratio really means nothing and was quite fun running guys over in a tanker truck who just jumped out of a car shooting at someone who didn't see me coming.  It felt like the Road Warrior climax in some ways. 

Overall they need to fix a bunch of stuff with the weapons.  I didn't manage to buy any better rifles because I stupidly spent my cash on a grappling hook I never got to use even once.  The default rifle (can't remember what it was) was so inaccurate at any range beyond 30-50 yards it was laughable.  I swear I was more accurate at 50 yards with the glock 18 than the damn rifle.  Ridiculous.

I'll probably get it anyway just for the Hotwire MP and from what I've heard the single player is not just an afterthought.  I hate the COD headless chicken stuff, so if it's mostly like Heist than I'll be bitterly disappointed. Bad Company 2 remains the best BF multiplayer IMO.  

EDIT - There was one moment in Hotwire that I was laughing at because it was such a multiplayer douche video gamey thing I just had to sit back and admire it.  Game starts and I jump in the chopper as the gunner.  The guy who jumped in as the pilot actually knows how to fly the damn thing so I'm thinking sweet, time to light these dudes up who are driving around from the sky.  Well he flies straight to the nearest car that gets you points and he jumps out of the chopper and parachutes down to it.  I'm still in the fucking chopper shooting at dudes and he just bails out.  Chopper crashes.  Enemy car drives by as I'm getting out and rpg's it and me.  Thanks dawg.

I think I'm done with Dragon Age: Inquisition until 1.05 comes out.

*looks at backlog*

Hmm. Maybe one more playthrough.... ;-)

Nah, in all seriousness there's a few things I'd like to do, like finish up the extras in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, get that 100% completion in the Final Fantasy X-2 remake, go through some of my old PS2 games to see if I keep them or trade them, etc.

Did they fix that broke-ass boss fight in FFX-2 in, I think Via Infinito or whatever, where he'd turn you to stone and almost immediately attack and shatter you, despite having a ribbon/anti status effect thing on? I gave up on the game altogether because of that.

Gamesradar has posted their review of The Order 1886 and... they didn't like it. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

We've been following along with this bloodbath in the Upcomingg Games folder..... Though it is no longer "upcoming".I missed the conversation in there - my browser wasn't showing me any unread messages in that thread. Blech.

Did they fix that broke-ass boss fight in FFX-2 in, I think Via Infinito or whatever, where he'd turn you to stone and almost immediately attack and shatter you, despite having a ribbon/anti status effect thing on? I gave up on the game altogether because of that.

I'll have to check, I think I know which one you're talking about.

I finally have some things to say about MONSTER HUNTER 4 ULTIMATE. I've put in about 18 hours playing Hunting Horn in singleplayer and Heavy Bowgun in multiplayer.

First.

7Dek9Fhm.jpg

(pictured: my hunter, Manhater, in Bone Armor and my Palico, Dog, in a Luigi costume)

Monster Hunter 4 is Japanese in a way that a lot of games aren't anymore. Like back in the PS1/PS2 games there would be a flood of games that would come up that were just fucking bizarre. At points they'd seem familiar, but then all of a sudden the art style gives way to something so deeply stupid it was joyous. Monster Hunter causes me to trip really hard about all those memories. I miss that shit. I miss how impossibly strange Japan was, before fantasy meant high minded gesturing and stage expressiveness. Monster Hunter has a little bit of that, but it also has a blacksmith named The Man and cats are cooks and the Guildmarm is all "you need to hit this bird, this bird sucks" and I ran into a dude who keeps saying Quip instead of Equip and I want to throw him into the ocean. Also my primary weapon right now is a cymbal-crashing monkey sculpture on a stick. If I swing it the right way I won't go blind. As for the game itself?

df8nh1Bm.jpg

(pictured: my best friend's hunter, Loken, in full Tetsucabra armor and his Palico, Mimi, in a Mario costume.)

They want him to play this game more than they want me to play this game. Like, MH4 has all sorts of weird trendy conceits that were totally absent in MH3. Like a story, and characters with names that weren't just their jobs. It's also a lot kinder in the earlier missions than 3 ever was, and while he's only had an hour more time with the game than I have, he's just now getting to the point where you have to capture monsters instead of killing them, which is one of the least clear mechanics the game offers. The difference is, in MH3, they introduced that before I had a great sense of where I should be planting before I started swinging (which is the main activity of playing Monster Hunter), so it was introduced as a trial by fire thing. It was really hard! Timing when to deploy that shit while also keeping track of the attack patterns of a monster you'd just recently started fighting is rough. In MH4, my friend has a 70% understanding of his weapon (Insect Glaive) and so it's a matter of just picking up the nuances of how to trap rather than being, like, deeply provoked and challenged like I went through in MH3. This is a small example, there are many more.

Ultimately (HAHAHAHA) if this really is Capcom's attempt to make this game make sense for the West, they've done as good of a job as they can. I personally wish I'd had more time with MH3, but I talked my friends into 4. So it goes.

By the way! The netcode is fucking insanely good. A lot of the loot pickups are instanced so you're not stealing from friends, although occasionally you'll see it break down in some weird ways (kill a boss monster, people go in three different directions to harvest it). So yeah. Easy game to recommend if you need a really action-heavy RPG that is deeply bizarre on occasion. Really easy to recommend if you have friends needing a thing to get together around.

• Like 1

I finally have some things to say about MONSTER HUNTER 4 ULTIMATE. I've put in about 18 hours playing Hunting Horn in singleplayer and Heavy Bowgun in multiplayer.

First.

7Dek9Fhm.jpg

(pictured: my hunter, Manhater, in Bone Armor and my Palico, Dog, in a Luigi costume)

Monster Hunter 4 is Japanese in a way that a lot of games aren't anymore. Like back in the PS1/PS2 games there would be a flood of games that would come up that were just fucking bizarre. At points they'd seem familiar, but then all of a sudden the art style gives way to something so deeply stupid it was joyous. Monster Hunter causes me to trip really hard about all those memories. I miss that shit. I miss how impossibly strange Japan was, before fantasy meant high minded gesturing and stage expressiveness. Monster Hunter has a little bit of that, but it also has a blacksmith named The Man and cats are cooks and the Guildmarm is all "you need to hit this bird, this bird sucks" and I ran into a dude who keeps saying Quip instead of Equip and I want to throw him into the ocean. Also my primary weapon right now is a cymbal-crashing monkey sculpture on a stick. If I swing it the right way I won't go blind. As for the game itself?

df8nh1Bm.jpg

(pictured: my best friend's hunter, Loken, in full Tetsucabra armor and his Palico, Mimi, in a Mario costume.)

They want him to play this game more than they want me to play this game. Like, MH4 has all sorts of weird trendy conceits that were totally absent in MH3. Like a story, and characters with names that weren't just their jobs. It's also a lot kinder in the earlier missions than 3 ever was, and while he's only had an hour more time with the game than I have, he's just now getting to the point where you have to capture monsters instead of killing them, which is one of the least clear mechanics the game offers. The difference is, in MH3, they introduced that before I had a great sense of where I should be planting before I started swinging (which is the main activity of playing Monster Hunter), so it was introduced as a trial by fire thing. It was really hard! Timing when to deploy that shit while also keeping track of the attack patterns of a monster you'd just recently started fighting is rough. In MH4, my friend has a 70% understanding of his weapon (Insect Glaive) and so it's a matter of just picking up the nuances of how to trap rather than being, like, deeply provoked and challenged like I went through in MH3. This is a small example, there are many more.

Ultimately (HAHAHAHA) if this really is Capcom's attempt to make this game make sense for the West, they've done as good of a job as they can. I personally wish I'd had more time with MH3, but I talked my friends into 4. So it goes.

By the way! The netcode is fucking insanely good. A lot of the loot pickups are instanced so you're not stealing from friends, although occasionally you'll see it break down in some weird ways (kill a boss monster, people go in three different directions to harvest it). So yeah. Easy game to recommend if you need a really action-heavy RPG that is deeply bizarre on occasion. Really easy to recommend if you have friends needing a thing to get together around.

You just sold me on this game. After I get done with The Order: 1886 (ha! it won't take you long you say!), I may spring for this.

I still want to play through MH3 on Wii U though. I know it will be a timesink.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/23/sony-wont-guarantee-driveclub-ps-plus-release

Drive Club for PS+ members is like the gift that keeps on giving. I have no desire to play it, but I love how it went from being a glorified demo/shareware/trialware for PS+ members to now possibly not even rolling out to PS+ members. Nice work!

So, about 45ish minutes in to Shadow of Mordor and I've come apon a revelation.

If I get spotted, RUN.  Playing like I'm a superbadass fighter is not being met with much success.

Thanks for the advice. I will carry this into my game.