DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Guest The Magnificent 7

You gotta pay your dues if you wanna be a badass fighter in Shadow of Mordor.  Mix up your attacks.  Jump over people's heads which stuns them and creates space to maneuver, 'til your fingers hurt, to buy yourself strategy thinking time, and counter the hell out of everything.  Execute clowns every chance you get. 

Just started playing through my digital copy of Dying Light.  I enjoy it.  Free running/parkour stuff is actually pretty neat and functional.  The zombies and enemy AI are actually quite impressive.  Even when you think you are safe, the zombies come after you.  It seems the fresher the zombie, the more aggressive they are.  They can climb up to the roofs, jump and run.  The more decayed older ones will see you and climb over a balcony to the ground, kind of funny.

IMHO, melee combat/control scheme is not very fun or quite as functional.  For one thing, they made this grapple button move the same as a survival/hint button.  It is counter intuitive and messes up your grapple intents.  

Checkpoints really just annoy me.  If you are in the middle of a mission and you die, it sends you back to the last safe zone you were in.  However...it saves the progress of what you were doing in the last area/vicinity you were in.  So if you just killed an enemy or closed a door before you die, you have to double back and run all the way back there.  The enemy is dead or the door is closed so all your progress technically isn't gone.  So I mean, that's alright, however it just seems like a counter-intuitive flawed way of doing checkpoints.  It probably would be too hard to do autosaving, but it is autosaving your kills and things you did in a safe zone before you die and send you back to the last safe zone.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I have been playing Sniper Elite 3 and quite like it.  I even like the multiplayer since it's very deliberate and not very silly.  Most everybody has been cool who I've played online with. 

Near the end on single player I think, so will start Alient Isolation when I'm done.  I have a feeling that's a game you want to play through exclusively without jumping back and forth to and from other games.  Want to give it my full attention for the experience.

I'm very eager to play Sniper Elite 3 - I *LOVED* the second one - but am unwilling to pay current prices. It's a $20 game to me but I haven't been able to find it for less than $30, even used.

That's my way saying if you have a PS4 copy of it you're willing to sell for $20, hit me up!

I got a Vita this weekend after getting back into playing DS (mostly before bed). Except for the exorbitant price for memory that would be solved by letting me get third-party memory, it's a really wonderful console with an awesome library. I know that Sony isn't doing lots of big first-party stuff and all the big name Western third-parties have abandoned it, but there are three years of awesome back-catalog for me to collect already in that regard. Does anyone else have one of these?

I just discovered that Tomb Raider is the Free with Gold game this half of the month for Microsoft.

So goodbye free HD space.

Now I can finally finish this game as opposed to waiting for my library to have it again

I'm pretty excited for BioShock: Infinite as well. I never did play it because of how soured I was on the series after BioShock 2. I loved the first one, and I didn't think it needed a sequel at all. 

I don't really have much space on my 60GB HDD, so Sleeping Dogs will have to be erased at the very least to make room for both TR 2013 and BioShock: Infinite. I considered switching out that hard drive for a 1TB one, but I think my 360 might be on its last legs anyway. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Played Alien Isolation for a few hours today and I'm blown away how good it is.  I've only seen the Alien twice, but this game has you on edge constantly. 

The one major criticism I had for Shadow of Mordor was that the LOTR license was used more as window dressing, or bolted onto the gameplay and didn't exactly fit the tone of Tolkien's works.  Awesome game, but that's how it felt.  This game is the exact opposite in that it's exactly how you think an Alien game should be.  So many details in the graphics, music, and gameplay that I just didn't expect to be this good that captures the feel of the original movie.  Unless this game fucks up in a major way this is the best time I've had with a sci-fi / horror atmospheric game since Snatcher on Sega CD, which is one of the best games ever made. 

Possible spoilers below:

The second time I saw the Alien (the first time you get a reprieve) I heard this large bang behind me and turned around as he dropped from the ceiling.  I legit froze, fumbling around trying to remember the run button.  I finally manage to unpanic my ass and turn around to start to run, but I looked down to see a tail protruding from my stomach as blood exploded from that area.  Amazing.

After that happens you see "aliens" in every shadow and every weird noise.  Love it.

I got a Vita this weekend after getting back into playing DS (mostly before bed). Except for the exorbitant price for memory that would be solved by letting me get third-party memory, it's a really wonderful console with an awesome library. I know that Sony isn't doing lots of big first-party stuff and all the big name Western third-parties have abandoned it, but there are three years of awesome back-catalog for me to collect already in that regard. Does anyone else have one of these?

Nope. I have thought about getting Playstation TV so I could play a few Vita games, but haven't yet.

Nope. I have thought about getting Playstation TV so I could play a few Vita games, but haven't yet.

I have been strongly considering buying a PSTV just because I can get Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and FF Tactics and FF IV on it.

The Vita works for me as basically a full home console experience except on a handheld. It's a pretty staggering piece of hardware in quite a few ways. The touchpads on the back don't really work effectively when trying to use them as the equivalent of L2 and R2, but it's so graphically powerful and doesn't utterly cramp my hands like even the XL versions of the DS do.

It's the first handheld console where the size of the console and the layout and amount of buttons make the fighting game experience feel worthwhile. Also, I like Playstation All Stars Battle Royale for what it is, having finally played it. Mortal Kombat plays nicely on it as well. I have UvMC3 , SFxTekken, and Injustice on the way from Amazon now. I'll be looking into Jump All-Stars too when it comes out later this year. 

My friend loves his Vita. I don't have one. Not too crazy about handhelds, but I might get one eventually. Would like to play Uncharted. And maybe Tales of Heart R and Freedom Wars. I don't know what the essential games are. I do have a bunch of crossplay games that would probably be more fun to play on the go.

I just got Persona 4 for PS3, but that would have been another get if I bought a Vita. I hear it's better on the Vita too. On the subject of Persona, man, does this game take a long time to get going. 2 hours until the first fight. Persona 3 had a better paced start. 

Currently revisiting Shadow of the Colossus as well. Controls and camera take a bit to get used to, but it still holds up pretty well. Beautiful game.

I finally caved and got Darkest Dungeon.  It's pretty dang good, although leveling up a crew is a bit more of a grind than I'd care for.  And once things start to go bad in a dungeon they tend to go horrifically, catastrophically bad.  So I pretty much love it.

I also grabbed Banished on sale, which is a medieval village-building sim.  There's definitely some Dwarf Fortress in its DNA, so it's also punishingly difficult.  Which is kind of a shame because it's got some nice graphics and would be an enjoyable game to sit and watch run for a bit.  But if you do that then everyone starves and/or freezes to death.

Don't really wanna put this in one of the movie threads so...

From Bedrooms to Billions - This is a kickstarter-funded documentary covering the rise of British computer & video game development companies in the 1980s. Because of the diversity of the UK computing scene (lots of different computer formats) and the relatively low bar of entry (systems were usually cheap) to get in, there was a ton of creativity in the game community back then. And a lot of companies that rose from...bedrooms...to form part of the industry that is now worth billions. I was recently able to finally watch this and...

Is it possible to think something is well done and yet still be disappointed? If so, that's where I am. In terms of production, the movie is well done, with better production values than I've seen in similar documentaries. As for the rest...

I am a US gamer. 99% of my familiarity with the history of British gaming comes from reading Retro Gamer. I'm familiar with all the big players but am hardly an expert. Still, there wasn't a TON of new information in the movie for me. Not that there necessarily SHOULD be but when you're pitching a product to a niche market, and that market is already going to be very familiar with what you're pitching, it seems like you dig harder for "new" info. Additionally, for a movie whose title is "...to BILLIONS", I expected a little more on the numbers and figures - there were a few mentions but nothing as specific as I would have liked. I did like the flow of the movie as it seemed to do a nice job of moving from one era to another with lots of accompanying game footage to show the improvement in graphics, etc. And the last bit about the increased size in dev teams and the disappearance of so many UK devs was also really good.

In the end, though, this felt "solid" or "good" rather than great. Perhaps it's just too large a subject for 2-1/2 hours to give me the depth and detail I want? I dunno. Not having the Stamper brothers in the film hurt it as well though that's obviously not necessarily the fault of the filmmakers.

Side note: wish they'd done overlays on top of the gameplay footage stating the game and platform.

Bottom line: 7/10, maybe 7.5/10.

Guest The Magnificent 7

If the rest of Alien Isolation is as stressful as the hospital level just was where I track down this dude's keycard I don't know if I can take it.  I got killed by the Alien twice and hid in an unreal number of lockers while he waltzed by. 

I just found a stun baton, but don't have the foggiest idea if it works on the Xenomorph and don't know if I've got the video game stones to bumrush him and try it out. 

Also, I just found out that surfing the Sevastapol internets does not protect you from a tail through the stomach. 

I don't know what is scarier.  This game or the thought of Tom Crean coaching another season here.

None of the weapons or items will kill the alien. Most of them are used to distract it, but the flamethrower will make it run off most of the time though.

The stun batons work well on the androids, but most times you're better off hiding, distracting or running no matter what the enemy is.

TM7, have finished playing bioshock infinite.

PLAYITPLAYITPLAYITPLAYITPLAYITPLAYITNOW

Amazing visuals, even now, a story just this side of deranged and a good amount of gameplay. 

=-

now I've started the final chapter of mass effect with my paragon man-shep. first mission - reunited with my girl liara. d'awwwwwwwwwwwww.