DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I fucked up and missed the preorder window for Sonic and Mega Man. :( Could be worse, my girlfriend is freaking out over the Rosalina shortage and the dude who posted on the internet about buying 100 to keep them away from her fans. At least I have a decent chance of being able to find mine since they're not store exclusives.

I fucked up and missed the preorder window for Sonic and Mega Man. :( Could be worse, my girlfriend is freaking out over the Rosalina shortage and the dude who posted on the internet about buying 100 to keep them away from her fans. At least I have a decent chance of being able to find mine since they're not store exclusives.

I don't have any upcoming Amiibos preordered. And since my mission is to get them all, I'm preparing for the worst month of my life.

• Like 1

So Far Cry 3 is a pretty good mix of fun and frustrating.  Fucking tigers jumping me as I'm picking my targets to snipe at outposts.  Is 4 pretty much the same, because I might check that out when I wrap up 3.  Plenty of time to wait for 4's super sale, since Resident Evil HD comes out tuesday and I'll be working on that for a while.

WWE Immortals is pretty good so far.  It's just like Injustice on mobile, but I can get much more into this one.  My pack of Trish/Paige/Roman is damn near unstoppable.  That was, until I got to my first boss (Kane)  But past that, it's pretty fun.

Something weird is going on in games. The PS4 is clearly winning the war, but software is selling better on X-Box One then PS4. Grand Theft Auto 4, Destiny, Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA, and NBA all sold better on X-Box One than PS4. The only one that was in reverse was Far Cry 4. This is all based on December numbers. Now, of course, this does not include digital sales. But the whole thing is strange to me.

Something weird is going on in games. The PS4 is clearly winning the war, but software is selling better on X-Box One then PS4. Grand Theft Auto 4, Destiny, Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA, and NBA all sold better on X-Box One than PS4. The only one that was in reverse was Far Cry 4. This is all based on December numbers. Now, of course, this does not include digital sales. But the whole thing is strange to me.

I say this as someone with both systems.  I think the biggest issue is that the Xbox has a better acheivement/trophy system.  Every time I turn on my Xbox I can see who is playing what, what their gamerscore is and how much of an increase they've had over the last 30 days.  I found myself getting competitive with a couple of my friends and when I had to decide which system to buy a game for it was the one that allowed me to keep up with my friends.  The trophy system just doesn't keep me coming back to compete with my friends because it isn't readily apparent who is doing better than who.

• Like 1

I say this as someone with both systems.  I think the biggest issue is that the Xbox has a better acheivement/trophy system.  Every time I turn on my Xbox I can see who is playing what, what their gamerscore is and how much of an increase they've had over the last 30 days.  I found myself getting competitive with a couple of my friends and when I had to decide which system to buy a game for it was the one that allowed me to keep up with my friends.  The trophy system just doesn't keep me coming back to compete with my friends because it isn't readily apparent who is doing better than who.

Personally, I find myself preferring Sony's system as a trophy hunter. I don't want everyone to know what I'm working on. If I'm doing multiplayer, I like having that anonymity without worrying about Sony messaging me for boosting trophies. With Microsoft's system, I feel that people know too much about what I'm doing.

With PS4 at least, you do know what everyone is doing and what everyone got recently on PS4 games. Not so much with PS3 or Vita. Sites like what's in my sig are the way around that restriction however; which I find nice as well.

I just looked at the charts because this sounded odd to me. GTA V, CoD: AW, FIFA, and NBA all sold higher on PS4. FIFA actually sold higher solely in PS3 than 360 and Xbone combined. The numbers weren't on there for Destiny and Madden. But with 7million more consoles in homes I would imagine it's the same case with those games as well.

[url="

I just looked at the charts because this sounded odd to me. GTA V, CoD: AW, FIFA, and NBA all sold higher on PS4. FIFA actually sold higher solely in PS3 than 360 and Xbone combined. The numbers weren't on there for Destiny and Madden. But with 7million more consoles in homes I would imagine it's the same case with those games as well.

[url="

Where are you getting that from? Genuinely curious.

I'm looking at the NPD data here: gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/01/15/december-2014-npd-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-leads-the-month-and-year.aspx

Sorry, thought I posted the link earlier but was on my phone:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42001/Global/

Edit:  If you look at the chart on the right that shows total software by platform.  PS4 has sold 82million+ games, the One has sold 47million+ games.  It's interesting to see the Wii software numbers as barely more than PS3 and less than 360 despite selling almost 20million more consoles than the other two. I guess those grandparents that bought the system didn't spring for many games.  

Went to the second hand games shop up Stoke on Friday morning. I got Uncharted 3, Saint's Row 2&3, Mass Effect 2 and Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2. Which added up to £18.50

Already completed Force Unleashed (Dark side ending... might do the final battle again to see the light). It's bloody short...

I thought the whole point was going to be reuniting the team from the first game, but by the time you actually lay eyes on the girl, the game ends. And why is Boba Fett in the game if you don't get to actually fight him or anything?

Not played any of the others yet.

Edit: If you look at the chart on the right that shows total software by platform. PS4 has sold 82million+ games, the One has sold 47million+ games. It's interesting to see the Wii software numbers as barely more than PS3 and less than 360 despite selling almost 20million more consoles than the other two. I guess those grandparents that bought the system didn't spring for many games.

Hmmm. Well the NPD definitely tells a different story, so I don't know what to believe.

Thing in Terraria that makes me smile way too much:

Make a charming blond boy as your character. Name him Spaceman Spiff. Give him the Meteor Armor and the Space Gun. Go forth.

Since there was never a proper Spaceman Spiff video game, this feels like setting a wrong right. I might even give him his own world where he'll live in a giant red brick house shaped like a UFO. I have pretty much no other goal for that world if I start it. That's it.

The way you can combine all that gamey bullshit we already go through all the time in this game with just pissing around and actually having fun doesn't happen nearly often enough.

• Like 3

Edit: If you look at the chart on the right that shows total software by platform. PS4 has sold 82million+ games, the One has sold 47million+ games. It's interesting to see the Wii software numbers as barely more than PS3 and less than 360 despite selling almost 20million more consoles than the other two. I guess those grandparents that bought the system didn't spring for many games.

Hmmm. Well the NPD definitely tells a different story, so I don't know what to believe.

Well, the article you referenced doesn't have any numbers really and only talks about the US for December.  

Well, the article you referenced doesn't have any numbers really and only talks about the US for December.

The NPD doesn't release any numbers anymore. Which actually makes me wonder where vgcharts even gets their's...

The Al Gore fight fucking sucked until I used Butters as my buddy and Professor Chaos rules! Just got to the part where you decide between fighting for Kyle or Cartman so wondering who you guys went with?

I took Cartman

I think I figured out Luftrausers. Took some time for me to get comfortable with the control of the plane, but now that I got the hang of it, zipping in and out of a stream of enemy bullets and slicing them up is really satisfying. Took down my first blimp today.

Way deeper than I thought at first glance. KILLER music as well.

• Like 1

The Al Gore fight fucking sucked until I used Butters as my buddy and Professor Chaos rules! Just got to the part where you decide between fighting for Kyle or Cartman so wondering who you guys went with?

I sided with Kyle, because #ihatecartmanbrah

I marathoned for nine hours through the rest of the game on Saturday, not because I wanted to finish the game but because I just wanted to see where the story went next.  And it went in some very... uncomfortable... directions.  Brilliantly done.

• Like 1

So yeah, Resident Evil HD is supposed to release today for pre-orders.

And its DL has the PSN Preorder bug, so no RE for now.  Blah

I was under the impression that preordering RE HD would give you crossbuy options, and you'd be able to pre-load the game and play at midnight eastern time, not play it a day early.

I'm staying up late to play it for an hour or two. Big fan of the old RE games so I'm pretty excited.