DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Finally got around to trying Killzone: Shadow Fall this weekend.  Didn't like it.  At all.  Takes forever to get into doing anything action-oriented.  Then it drops you into an area with terrible weapons* and it's tough to figure out where you're supposed to be going.  Just a mess of a game.  And that's from a guy who loved #2 and #3.

* - why the heck do games do this?  I get it if you've crash-landed or whatever but if you're "on a mission", shouldn't you at least be decked out with some serious gear?  How many times have you been dropped into a war zone with a single grenade and a pistol?  Shadow Fall isn't quite that bad but the gun you're given - a pulse rifle - takes sooooooooo long to charge that it's useless given the # of opponents you face.

The list for anyone that cares:

AC

AC II

AC Revelations

AC III

AC IV Black Flag (PS4)

AC Rogue

AC Unity

Still need Brotherhood (and Liberation?)

Brotherhood is Top 3 in the series for me (haven't got around to Rogue yet, mind you), so you definitely want that.

Liberation is a Vita game that came out alongside AC3, and I'd rate it as skippable. They ported it to PS3 last year, but I'm not sure how that worked, considering a lot of the sidequest stuff was designed to utilize all the Vita gimmicks. Like, you have to collect these pieces of paper, then hold the Vita's rear camera up to a light source to reveal a hidden icon, and stuff like that.

Fair enough.  Game Traders didn't have Brotherhood.  Might check gamestop in a couple days.

Semi-related bitching.  Tuesday I was at Game Traders.  Told me I could trade in Destiny (PS4) for 20 bucks store credit.  Bring it in Friday.  They won't take it.  "We have too many copies."  There is not a single copy of it for PS3 or PS4 on the shelf for sale.  So I guess I'll dump it for like 13 bucks store credit at Game Stop instead and look for Brotherhood.

So i didn't play a lot of new games for the majority of last year. I had every intention of eventually getting a PS4 so i shied away from a few games that i would have probably purchased in favor of waiting to get them on a new system. I can count on one hand how many titles i purchased and even less that i finished. Thinking back, New Super Mario Bros. 2 and A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS might be the only 2 i played through to the end.

Anyways, thanks to the UK continuing its adoption of Black Friday (and thank god i got out of retail a few years before it became a thing here!) i picked up a PS4 and a whole bunch of games at the end of November. Enough to see me well into 2015 with only a couple more titles i plan on purchasing along the way.

First up was getting up to date with Call of Duty so i started with Ghosts. I've been playing this franchise since the first Modern Warfare and there are no surprises here. Its your typical somewhat short but still entertaining single player campaign. I've not played it online yet, i sunk way to many hours into the PS3 titles over the course of 3 or 4 years, but i'll probably jump straight to Advance Warfare for online play to see if I've still got the skill/patience for these in multiplayer.

Next was Shadow of Mordor. While i said i hadn't played much last year, so its lacking in competition, this was easily my game of the year. I managed to clock up about 26 hours over the course of 2 weeks and it never really felt like it got repetitive, a problem i find with these open world games. The ending was a bit of a let down but other than that it was so much fun just getting into fights with wave after wave of Orcs and hunting down captains in revenge. I've only done about 65% of it and still jump back in for a quick play to do a couple of side missions. Even if there is no direct sequel storyline wise i'd love to play another LotR game in this style.

With those 2 largely out the way I've got 2 games i'm currently working my way through. The first is Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. I've only played the first 3 missions but its a step in the right direction for the franchise. There are only so many games you can set in previous wars and present time before it gets a little repetitive so i'm enjoying all the new weapons and gadgets. I fully expect the solo campaign to be far to short and over in a few hours but with it being the current game in the franchise i'll give it a play online once i'm done to see if it grabs me as much as the first 2 MW games did.

Destiny is the other title i'm playing, working my way through it online with a friend of mine. Gotta say i'm a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, its a good game, it looks great and plays great but for something that was supposed to be this epic title with hours upon hours of playtime it sure does feel like it will be over quickly. Its not bad, just not what i was expecting.

I can see my self losing a lot of hours to the PS4 over the next few months as i play through this backlog, more time than I've spent on games in the past few years.

If you guys are looking for some entertainment this week is Awesome Games Done Quick, a speed running marathon to benefit the Prevent Cancer Foundation.  Pretty much every generation and type of game is played and it's a total blast.  They've been up for 5.5 hours now and already have 64k in donations, not counting Humble Bundle sales and T-shirt sales from Yetee.

https://gamesdonequick.com/

Finally got around to trying Killzone: Shadow Fall this weekend.  Didn't like it.  At all.  Takes forever to get into doing anything action-oriented.  Then it drops you into an area with terrible weapons* and it's tough to figure out where you're supposed to be going.  Just a mess of a game.  And that's from a guy who loved #2 and #3.

* - why the heck do games do this?  I get it if you've crash-landed or whatever but if you're "on a mission", shouldn't you at least be decked out with some serious gear?  How many times have you been dropped into a war zone with a single grenade and a pistol?  Shadow Fall isn't quite that bad but the gun you're given - a pulse rifle - takes sooooooooo long to charge that it's useless given the # of opponents you face.

Just press down arrow to change to a regular rifle....it'll work better. The first mission feels a little 'short' to me though.

I can't believe I platinum'ed Killzone Shadowfall. And Knack.

Woah. Greg Miller, Colin Moriarty, Nick Scarpino, and Tim Gettys have all quit IGN and made their YouTube channel, Kinda Funny, their full-time jobs. As a big fan of theirs and IGN, this is weird.

I like their Playstation podcast on IGN but...I don't see this ending well for them.  Will miss them on IGN.

Well, if you liked Podcast Beyond, you can now watch "Greg & Colin Live!" every damn weekday. It's on now actually and it's really good.

I may give it a shot but being outside the IGN umbrella has me worried a bit.  I get the feeling it's going to regress into a morass of puerile humor and profanity, something they complained about not being able to do on IGN - constantly.

In fact, this feels inspired by Giant Bomb.

Probably is a bit. Also, Greg has said repeatedly that after he appeared on The Gauntlet Season 2, that Burnie Burns is now his hero (and Kinda Funny started soon after Greg's appearance on that show). So maybe half Giant Bomb, half Rooster Teeth.

The boys are playing Smash Bros right now, if anyone's interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames

Well, if you liked Podcast Beyond, you can now watch "Greg & Colin Live!" every damn weekday. It's on now actually and it's really good.

I may give it a shot but being outside the IGN umbrella has me worried a bit.  I get the feeling it's going to regress into a morass of puerile humor and profanity, something they complained about not being able to do on IGN - constantly.

Colin's always there to keep the level of discourse at a high level.

Woah. Greg Miller, Colin Moriarty, Nick Scarpino, and Tim Gettys have all quit IGN and made their YouTube channel, Kinda Funny, their full-time jobs. As a big fan of theirs and IGN, this is weird.

I like their Playstation podcast on IGN but...I don't see this ending well for them.  Will miss them on IGN.

They just mentioned on the stream that Colin and Greg are still gonna host Podcast Beyond (as freelancers) for the foreseeable future. Until IGN gives them the boot. Same thing with Greg on Up At Noon too.

I finally got back into Alien: Isolation after putting it off for a few months, in an attempt to get through the linear, story-based games in my backlog to free up time for endless time wasters. Christ, I'll probably take twice as long as the average playthrough time due to my extra cautious nature around the alien. It hasn't killed me yet but androids have multiple times. What great intensity, atmosphere, and pacing. Clenched cheeks the entire time. So good, yet so nerve-racking. It's only taken about 35 years, but we finally got the Alien game the franchise deserves.

Did anybody else play this? Beat it?

• Like 1

I played it, it's a great game - I might double dip and get the PS4 version. My advice for the droids is to learn to use the distract devices. The alien is hard to predict but usually telegraphs where it us via sound. I found clearing the DLC with the orginal cast was good in teaching how to get around the alien.

Thanks for the tips. I'll plug away at the original cast DLC before heading back into the campaign mode. I'm in the med facility right now, where you get 1 v 1 with the xeno for the first time in truth. It pretty much had me way back at the other section of the ship but the door closed just as it was about to pounce on me, allowing me to tuck my ass in a locker. I hope I picked up all of the blueprints up to this point. 

Watched some clips on youtube, and having the xeno in the vents with you is terrifying. I just know at one point in the game, I'm going to be a clever boy and hide in the vent, turn around, switch on the flashlight only to see that sum'bitch right in front of me a la Dallas.

One of the DLCs reenacts that part (though you can play it with Ripley or Parker also). You don't want to stay hiding too much, it's best to keep crouched and move around cover (desks, boxes, etc). If you do have to hide, I don't think the game ever mentions you can hold your breath (Click down on the right stick) if the alien is right by you.

I wanna get Alien eventually. I was pretty hyped for it, but then my friend convinced me not to get it because he felt it was too hard. Said it felt like he was not making progress because of how unforgiving it was. But I like Dark Souls and he doesn't, so maybe I'll appreciate this type of challenge.

Didn't they patch this to add an easier difficulty? Is it better to play it with the normal difficulty, or is it indeed too hard?