DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I started Terraria. I whimped out and used a basic guide that shows you how to build a house. I also cut down enough trees so that I have some wood armor and a wooden sword. I feel like Link.

First night a zombie knocked on my door. I opened it and killed him with my wood sword. Then I shut the door. Now there's an evil giant eyeball flying around outside while I wait for morning.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Seems good.

I started Terraria. I whimped out and used a basic guide that shows you how to build a house. I also cut down enough trees so that I have some wood armor and a wooden sword. I feel like Link.

First night a zombie knocked on my door. I opened it and killed him with my wood sword. Then I shut the door. Now there's an evil giant eyeball flying around outside while I wait for morning.

Its 2d Minecraft so anything you damn well want

Why did they stop making those 4-player Godzilla fighting games like Destroy All Monsters Melee and Save the Earth? Those were good times. And they could be more popular than ever if they make another in time for the next Godzilla movie.

• Like 1

Yeah this game is pretty great. I like how you basically keep stumbling on some new thing every time you play and get just a bit further. Like, I just made a bucket so now I can move small bodies of water. And it finally dawned on me I can plant these acorns to make new trees and get even more wood to build more houses. Lots of the little discoveries like that make me smile. Like the first time a Mario brothers looking star fell out of the sky at night and oh, okay, I can craft things with those. Cool.Oh, and the moment when I discovered you can pick up treasure chests you find in caves after you empty them and then you can take them back and stick them in your houses, so you basically have infinite storage if you keep exploring. The actual exploring of the world is neat too. All the enemies so far are really basic but it gives me a sort of old school Legend of Zelda vibe, except it's crossed with a game where you build stuff. So far my little town only has three buildings, where the guide, merchant, and the painter have moved in. Going to build a couple more next session probably.

I'm diggin' tunnels but still haven't hit one of those health power ups the guide says I should keep an eye open for. Gotta keep looking. Only died four times so far. One of those was the first time I was mining and saw a chamber full of water above my head and I said "hmmm I wonder what happens if" and then yep I drowned because that took out my torch and I couldn't see shit to get to an air pocket again. Some people just get what they deserve.

The way the environment changes dynamically is very cool. Not just things like being able to move bodies of water. But little shit like I put a torch on a cave wall and since there's a light source moss starts growing on the floor suddenly. Little details.

It's a very charming game but it seems to have a lot of depth to it too. After about 6 hours play I can't remember why I was on the fence about this one to begin with.

Awesome Games Done Quick is ending after tomorrow and it's something worth watching every year. Basically, people try to complete games as fast as possible. The highlight for me has been someone playing Tetris The Grandmaster 3, which only came out in Japan on the Xbox 360.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah this game is pretty great. I like how you basically keep stumbling on some new thing every time you play and get just a bit further. Like, I just made a bucket so now I can move small bodies of water. And it finally dawned on me I can plant these acorns to make new trees and get even more wood to build more houses. Lots of the little discoveries like that make me smile. Like the first time a Mario brothers looking star fell out of the sky at night and oh, okay, I can craft things with those. Cool.Oh, and the moment when I discovered you can pick up treasure chests you find in caves after you empty them and then you can take them back and stick them in your houses, so you basically have infinite storage if you keep exploring. The actual exploring of the world is neat too. All the enemies so far are really basic but it gives me a sort of old school Legend of Zelda vibe, except it's crossed with a game where you build stuff. So far my little town only has three buildings, where the guide, merchant, and the painter have moved in. Going to build a couple more next session probably.

I'm diggin' tunnels but still haven't hit one of those health power ups the guide says I should keep an eye open for. Gotta keep looking. Only died four times so far. One of those was the first time I was mining and saw a chamber full of water above my head and I said "hmmm I wonder what happens if" and then yep I drowned because that took out my torch and I couldn't see shit to get to an air pocket again. Some people just get what they deserve.

The way the environment changes dynamically is very cool. Not just things like being able to move bodies of water. But little shit like I put a torch on a cave wall and since there's a light source moss starts growing on the floor suddenly. Little details.

It's a very charming game but it seems to have a lot of depth to it too. After about 6 hours play I can't remember why I was on the fence about this one to begin with.

54ffdcfa1961d3412ba33b78f37fd746.jpg

THE TALOS PRINCIPLE: The best game that also repeatedly triggers my death anxiety.

I bought it looking for some kind of fix inbetween now and the release of The Witness, which I intend to beat entirely without any FAQs, outside help, or anything. It'll be my meditation. Half of the game is an abstracted puzzle game about lasers and boxes and fans and whatever. The puzzles are all so, so abstracted that it creates an additional unreality to the story, which oscillates between kind of silly, very thoughtful, and fucking horrifying.

The story starts as an AI creation myth and is veering towards questions about the nature of consciousness, the values of life, and and how modern culture could respond to knowledge that humanity is over and there's nothing that can be done about it. Specifically, what it would mean to preserve humanity if we are alone in the universe. I've been playing it in basically thirty minute chunks because the things that are discussed cause, uh, issues that require me to stop engaging the game. But I've played enough to know HEY, YOU SHOULD PLAY THIS GAME.

Basically, it is not the Citizen Kane of gaming, but it might be the Slaughterhouse Five and that's way more impressive. It's probably the Actual Best Game of 2014.

Also it's from Croteam and one of the writers is the writer of The Swapper. Weird combo that's kind of completely incredible.

TURBO DISMOUNT: Once upon a time, there was a developer who created the original "ha ha, rag doll physics are amazing" game: PORRASTURVAT, or STAIR DISMOUNT. I'm typing those in all caps because I say them in all caps, because they're great names for games. Here's how it worked: they put a crash test dummy at the top of a stair case, and you could choose which limb to push, which angle to push from, and how forceful to push them down stairs for a high score.

After that game's vaguely terrifying wonder wore off, they figured "what's another rag doll event that could be funny?" Someone said "car crashes" and so they came up with REKKATURVAT, or TRUCK DISMOUNT. This time, you are provided with a moving truck with a removable windshield, two toggleable ramps that can be staggered, and a wall. Also, you could move your dummy from the seat, to the front of the truck, to the top of the truck, and more!

So after the last sale I saw a game on sale called TURBO DISMOUNT. I chuckled, thinking about those old games, and went "man I dont know if this is actually the developers but I'll pay $5" for it. Apparently they asked the "how do we make ragdolls cool" question again and this time the answer was "movie stunts gone wrong." You have a variety of vehicles, a variety of different ragdolls, and a variety of obstacles from orange cones to land mines. Want to send a sports car into a loop-de-loop with a solid wall at the end? Can-do. Play chicken in a shopping cart? Easy. Hold onto a wrecking ball while you slowly drive through a busy intersection? Possible. Ride an office chair off a skyscraper? You get the idea. It's stupid. It's really really stupid. And fucking funny.

MONSTER HUNTER 3 UPDATE: I have been hunting large scale monsters. I am using a metal bagpipe and armor made from a bear with spikes all over his body. I am aspiring to make a raptor hat that will help me gather materials faster. I am also aspiring to harvest bug shells so I can solve my paralysis issue.

Monster Hunter is probably my favorite game now.

Finished off Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare today. As it is for all of CODs single player campaigns it didn't take too long to beat. It did feel a little harder than past cods, or at least a little cheap at times. I'd clear out an area, move on and random enemies would just seem to spawn behind me and kill me. Happened a few times and I've never noticed that in a Call of Duty game before. Still, entertaining enough and i enjoyed it more than Ghosts. Still haven't tried it out online yet, but its been 2 years since i last played COD multiplayer so i'm sure i'll be a little out of practice when i finally do.

As for Destiny. Haven't done any more story missions yet, though i'm guessing i'm almost at the end. Pretty sure we're on the last planet at least and there haven't been a lot of story missions on each planet so far. We've been doing mostly strike missions and the daily missions lately, leveling up and getting better gear. The problem is i don't think my character needs to be all that strong to finish off the game and it feels like i'm spending time leveling up for the sake of it rather than actually needing to to beat it. Its a frustrating game, its a lot of fun to play, especially if you get a little group together, but there's just not enough to it before it starts to get repetitive.

Going to fire up Alien: Isolation for the first time tonight.

Far Cry 4 is good times.  I don't know if the stealth is easier this time around, but I've cleared 3 outposts without being seen.  First one I let loose an elephant and he did my dirty work for me.  Second one was all arrows from on top of a hill.  Third one I hid on a roof and lured guards behind a building one by one, took them out, and hid their bodies outside the wall of the outpost.  

I had the bizarre experience yesterday of playing Terraria and realizing one of my five faovourite songs ever, Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime, is essentially a review of Terraria.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052610539/recommended/105600/

A pretty accurate review, at that.

• Like 1

Today's Gaming LOL:

Assassin's Creed Unity has been nominated for a Writers Guild Award for Achievement in Video Game Writing. Anybody's who played the game can tell you that the writing/story/dialogue are not exactly earth-shatteringly great.