DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I joked about an NXT invasion angle in the NXT thread on Thursday after the show, but a lot of people both here and elsewhere seem to think that putting those guys on TV is going to be some sort of magic bullet for the main shows, and unfortunately I don't think that would be the case.

If they want to improve Smackdown, they should call up the NXT creatives rather than the wrestlers.

• Like 1

When Vince says that Cena grabbed the brass ring, he really means it. Cena was initially treated as an after thought to Batista and Randy Orton on RAW, but he managed to get so over that Vince had to pay attention. Vince seems unusually willing to abandon Orton/Batista plans when a babyface gets hot. 

If not for the brand split, Cena would've never gotten pushed over the Evolution guys. 

I joked about an NXT invasion angle in the NXT thread on Thursday after the show, but a lot of people both here and elsewhere seem to think that putting those guys on TV is going to be some sort of magic bullet for the main shows, and unfortunately I don't think that would be the case.

If they want to improve Smackdown, they should call up the NXT creatives rather than the wrestlers.

SD! and NXT already swapped head writers like two months ago, I think. Which I guess means the positions are mostly meaningless.

If they are serious about trying to get people to watch Smackdown again they need do SOMETHING to make it different. It should have a totally different announce team from Raw. Not sure who they could pair Regal with but that's who I would go with as the color guy.

Renee Young. Wanna make the show different? Give it the first female play-by-play commentator on a major show in history. Plus, her chemistry with Regal is insane.

SD! and NXT already swapped head writers like two months ago, I think. Which I guess means the positions are mostly meaningless.

I say this as someone who has written copy for a living: Fuck writers. (Literally, cuz I need to get lai-I kid I kid) But no, wrestling doesn't need writers, at least not TV writers. Or at the least, it doesn't need more than a couple, the way NXT gets it done with one, just to help flesh out the work. Wrestling isn't written, it's booked.

• Like 4

If they are serious about trying to get people to watch Smackdown again they need do SOMETHING to make it different. It should have a totally different announce team from Raw. Not sure who they could pair Regal with but that's who I would go with as the color guy.

Renee Young. Wanna make the show different? Give it the first female play-by-play commentator on a major show in history. Plus, her chemistry with Regal is insane.

She is significantly worse than anybody on the main shows. She always sounds like she is reading a book and calling a show at the same time.

• Like 2

RandomAct, on 15 Dec 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

Depends on if the crowd has a favorite.  If they put someone like Ambrose in that shit, I think a town like Philly or NYC would def be upset with a Reigns win.

Why would anyone expect Ambrose to win a match at this point? The biggest obstacle they face with Reigns' reaction is not having a Brock/Goldberg repeat at Mania. I think the Mania crowd will shit on Brock big time if they know it's his last match, and he may be going back to UFC. They could turn on the whole thing.

For me the safe bet is doing Reigns/Cena at Mania in a Hogan/Warrior repeat with the same result. You know the fans will hate Cena so this will be Reign's best shot at a big baby face pop for winning the gold.

Reigns should be fine in the short term. He's still quite over even with his deficiencies on the mic and in ring.

I'm ambivalent about Reigns, but I'm pretty ambivalent about all the ex-Shield guys right now. They were all better as a group than individually, even Ambrose, whose neo-Brian Pillman impression/gimmick/tribute is wearing thin to me right now.

• Like 1

I watched that whole damn Global marathon earlier this year and I swear I didn't see a single match with Manny Fernandez or Killer Tim Brooks. I just turned Global on as a fluke and there they are as a tag team. How long did that last? I have to add, that is one gross-looking and incredibly singular tag team. They just scream "sleazy, tough fucking wrestlers". 

I am just tired of reading the whole DB got buried argument when, next to Cena and Punk, he was given the most shit to do since 2011. It's mind blowing how he got over because his fans wouldn't accept that DB got squashed at WM when that was the fucking point. 

No, it wasn't. The squash was meant to tie a rocket to Sheamus.

• Like 1

Shit, if you get tired of watching Raw or want to see something in between commercials, Global on ESPN Classics is showing Bill Dundee vs. Eric Embry. I guess they're finally showing the good episodes!

EDIT: Billy Joe Travis has REALLY, REALLY good punches. #DVDVRbubble

I turned it on and I have to say Jeff Jarretts hair is incredible.

Shit, if you get tired of watching Raw or want to see something in between commercials, Global on ESPN Classics is showing Bill Dundee vs. Eric Embry. I guess they're finally showing the good episodes!

And a REALLY, REALLY bad haircut.  Like Gary Spivey without the glitter.

I turned it on and I have to say Jeff Jarretts hair is incredible.

Quite an unexpected surprise. Nice change of pace from Raw.

Punk made serious accusations about WWE's backstage procedures. I think it's worthwhile to discuss that.

At the very least Punk brought to light that the WWE has been doing what we know all wrestling companies have always done. Telling guys with serious injuries to man up and keep on going. Because if you don't well unless you're someone the boss like (IE. Reigns), there's no guarantee that you'll have your spot when you come back.

Bret tells the story in his book when Dino Bravo shoved him off the ring and he hit the guardrails at the Boston Garden chest first and he broke his damn sternum and bruised his heart. He was back on the road I think in ten days because "well, there's no guarentee your spot will be here if you're out for say a month or two".

Above all else that's the good that's come out of this punk thing. Maybe now guys won't have to fear wrestling with serious injuries just so they can keep their position.

Nothing will change.