DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I like him when he's snarky. Like the other night he said about the New Day "something's wrong with these guys...no one's that happy with out being on something". If you ever watch him on Fox News on Saturday Mornings on their business block he's pretty damn knowledgeable. It's amazing to see JBL and Trapper John (Wayne Rogers from MASH) on the same show sometimes.

It's obvious he's handcuffed by Vince's micromanaging of the commentating. But it's just great when he supports the heels. I wish he would go full Ventura and just hate on Cena like Jesse would on Hogan during matches.

I think the biggest problems with JBL is that he's way too forceful, and his arguments (Even when he's absolutely wrong) sound so reasonable and he has no one to properly debate or argue with him without sounding like they're just whining that he ends up under-cutting the faces way too often (Like when he called Jack Swagger a failure for losing to Rusev and Cole said something ham-handed like "He tried his best!" that it makes you think "JBL is right, he did fail").  

The other biggest problem is that when he is badmouthing someone, Cole and Lawler almost always end up laughing along.  What always made my fave duos (Gorilla/Ventura, Gorilla/Heenan, Schiavone/Ventura and even early JR/Lawler) so good was that the commentator would mostly be indignant at the heels jokes ("Will you stop?!").  So, in the rare moments when the heel commentator made the face laugh (Schiavone, in particular, had a tough time not laughing when Jesse or Brain was really hitting) it made it seem much funnier because he'd finally made the pbp guy laugh.  When Cole and/or Lawler laugh at pretty much every joke JBL makes, it kinda makes everything seem less funny, and also hurts the faces by basically having everyone laugh at them.  Gorilla Monsoon would have never laughed at the Bunny getting tombstoned, and he would have been furious at Ventura for mocking the incident.  So, Ventura gets over how much he hates the face and endorses the heel while Monsoon gets over the seriousness of the incident by not laughing along and being upset.  Everybody wins.

• Like 4

Nigel McGuinness is pitching... something. Seems to be a TV show with a lot of wrestling involved. Or kind of a promotion? I don't know exactly. The pitch actually sounds a lot like the Wrestling Revolution Project. BUT, I love Nigel! He actually helped me out a lot way back when. And I think he's a smart and creative guy, so I'd actually like to see what this thing is. And his documentary turned out great.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nigelmcguinness/la-fights

JBL's problem is that he is either really, really into someone/something or he will refuse to give a fucking fuck and bury the shit out of it/them.

He's like me, and we all know how terrible I am at discussing things.

• Like 2

The commentary team resembles the insufferable political talking heads who show up on the msnbcs/fox news split screens.

If Cole makes a point, no matter of how minor or unimportant the point is, here comes JBL guns blazing to shoot it down and make a point that is the complete opposite.

Most of the points are repetitive (i.e. Do we miss the authority? Did Rollins sell out?) and have nothing to do with the match on TV. So it just amounts to subjecting the audience to dumb conversations you've already heard from people you don't find entertaining.

• Like 1

Sadly, it's going to take a lot bigger drop before WWE actually makes any real attempt at change.  We can hem and haw about how bad the numbers are all we want, aside from football, it's still the most watched cable show on Mondays.  Aside from Major Crimes on TNT, nothing else is even close.

TV and cable numbers are down in general and WWE will use that as an excuse long before they take the "our product is stale and boring" as the reason.

The current WWE product is pretty stagnant and it seems like they wont be changing it up any time soon.

Also what the fuck does stuffing instead of potatoes mean? and why when I wrote stuffing instead of potatoes did it auto correct to stuffing instead of potatoes?

EDIT: see what I mean.

• Like 1

Was thinking about a gimmick and I assume this is the place to ask, but has anyone run with an Incredible Hulk type gimmick before?

The idea being you have this regular guy backstage etc, mild mannered dude trying to be a pro. He's a little skinny but he tries hard dammit.

Then he has a match, he comes to the ring as his normal self. Then the heel would beat the crap out of him. But it's not until the heel cheats that the magic starts, suddenly he gets angry. He doesn't appreciate cheating. He'll start hulking up then all of a sudden the lights go out, a few strobe effects here and there, lights on and it's a big huge roidy fella with torn gear and he goes to town on the heel. Roidy dude kills the heel dead, then the lights come back on and our original guy is back cowering in the corner with his clothes hanging off. He makes the pin for the 123.

Obviously there is a degree of suspension of disbelief required here.

• Like 1

I don't know, I don't watch TNA.

EDIT: wait isn't that Abyss? That was the same dude. I'm talking about 2 dudes playing essentially the same character, albeit a Jekll and a Hyde type situation.

Mason Ryan may have been good for the monster. He just shows up under dodgy lighting, does 3 moves, doesn't sell or speak and sods off.

Joesph Parks was awesome. The feud with Bully Ray was great, when they did the contract signing for the Slammiversary match and the crowd was super into it was magical and I like the Slammiversary match. The little things were great, Parks wrestling in a track suit, not having entrance music, holding the chair upside down and The Abyss run in at the end all great touches. I did think the match could have went another five minutes but I really like that match and feud. I even liked the stuff Parks did with Hogan and him gong to OVW to train with Danny Davis was a cool little character trait. Then TNA fucked it all up.

• Like 1