DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Apologies if this was posted but WWE.com has a fun article about the history of the Riberia Steakhouse. Has quotes from the usuals as well as Hansen, Dreamer, Animal, and, curiously enough, Cabana.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/inside-ribera-steakhouse-26137247/page-1

I enjoy the pecking order of the "players."  Jericho over Punk, Roberts over Regal.  Meanwhile Justin Roberts basically kills all the credibility with his quote.  All the wrestlers talk about what an honor it is, to get a Ribera jacket means you've made it, and then Justin says he has one because Jericho felt sorry for him, and then everyone immediately starts dumping on the tradition and saying how meaningless it all is.

PUNK: Somewhere along the line, it got a little bit soiled because — just like anything — it lost its luster after a while. Everybody wound up going to Japan for a hot minute, so everybody wound up getting a Ribera Steakhouse jacket. I actually refused to get a Ribera Steakhouse jacket because of it.

"Everybody else is getting one so I won't."

That reminds me of Excalibur on that recent Dr. Keith show (sans DK) talking about how at a certain point, there would be five or six Ribera jackets in any given indy locker room in the States.

Punk is a bit of a douche. Take the fucking jacket. 

Over/Under on how long before you see some fucking smark in a WWE tv audience wearing a replica and say:  "Fucking smarks and their stupid fucking Ribera jackets."

and then the cock will crow a third time and you will repent having ever doubted Punk's foresight.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/kayfabe-lies-and-alibis-buddy-rose-shoot-interview/#.UgOfF20iy2B

I do shoot reviews elsewhere, today's was on "Playboy" Rose - enjoy and please offer thoughts if you so desire.  This is my labor of love!

Rose touches on his career high points, argues about who the best wrestler alive is and tells his opinion on how pro wrestling should be!  I add a career overview with video highlights to supplement the "Playboy's" interview.

Are you just coming to this revelation?

I like Punk's work.  But I remember the one thing I took away from that documentary they put out of him last year (his DVD set), was "wow, I had always heard he was a bit of a fucking asshole, now I understand.....that was pretty much accurate."

• Like 3

Lifetime needs to throw all their money at Hogan for his life story.

All the Lifetime regulars can have a role:

Rob Lowe as Vince McMahon

Josie Davis as Linda Hogan

Brooke Burns as Brooke Hogan

Dean Cain in a fat suit as Bubba the Love Sponge

Lindsay Lohan as Bubba's ex-wife

Mitch Buchannon's son Hobie as Nick Hogan

Wonderful.

Lifetime needs to throw all their money at Hogan for his life story.

All the Lifetime regulars can have a role:

Rob Lowe as Vince McMahon

Josie Davis as Linda Hogan

Brooke Burns as Brooke Hogan

Dean Cain in a fat suit as Bubba the Love Sponge

Lindsay Lohan as Bubba's ex-wife

Mitch Buchannon's son Hobie as Nick Hogan

Wonderful.

Jeremy London as Eric Bischoff

Eric Close as Randy Savage

Lori Loughlin as Miss Elizabeth

• Like 1

HALLMARK!

If it's Hallmark, then we're really opening up the floodgates for more star power:

DJ Tanner

The fast-talking daughter from Gilmore Girls, who is married to Pete Campbell

Chuck

My gawd. 

If this doesn't happen, then it will be a travesty. A total miscarriage of justice. 25,000-PLUS standing on their feet and going bananas.

And Aunt Becky as Miss Elizabeth is something that needs to happen.

Punk has the jacket, guys. He's been photographed wearing it.

He says he took one (he didn't say begrudgingly but...begrudgingly) on the second tip because he's not going to turn down a gift.

I think I can speak for Stan Hansen here. That ring announcer whining his way into a jacket is a fucking disgrace.

He was already getting a jacket, just not an authentic one.  Jericho made sure he got a real one.

Over/Under on how long before you see some fucking smark in a WWE tv audience wearing a replica and say:  "Fucking smarks and their stupid fucking Ribera jackets."

and then the cock will crow a third time and you will repent having ever doubted Punk's foresight.

I've never had a problem with fans wearing replica belts. That is a hair up somebody else's butt. 

FWIW, I was talking to Karl Anderson about this one time, and the current mindset among than gaijin working the big Japanese promotions is that Ribera jackets are for marks. If you go back far enough on Twitter, you can find him and Bernard giving a ton of shit to younger guys that took the jacket.

Take the Ribera jacket? Mark.

Pay money for a wrestling ticket? Mark.

What else?

I'm gonna guess if you're an indy and you tell someone you liked their matches you're also a Mark.

• Like 3

Becoming a wrestler seems like the absolute worst thing you could do if you love wrestling.

Only having your daughter or sister get romantically involved with one ranks higher on that list.

• Like 1

Take the Ribera jacket? Mark.

Pay money for a wrestling ticket? Mark.

What else?

I'm gonna guess if you're an indy and you tell someone you liked their matches you're also a Mark.

You're a mark for even trying to figure this out.

• Like 3

FWIW, I was talking to Karl Anderson about this one time, and the current mindset among than gaijin working the big Japanese promotions is that Ribera jackets are for marks. If you go back far enough on Twitter, you can find him and Bernard giving a ton of shit to younger guys that took the jacket.

I think I give more of a shit what one half of the Road Warriors & Stan fucking Hansen think than jobber-ass Karl Anderson.

• Like 5

Hell a few of the indy guys I know think having a "shoot" job makes you a mark.  I heard a guy being given hell because he couldn't take bookings on Sunday evenings because he worked a factory job that actually, you know, payed his bills and fed his kids.  This wasn't just joking around either, they were seriously laying into the guy about how he was a mark for putting that ahead of wrestling a match.