DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

I'll concede the point that I don't know that Bryan-Sheamus was the original plan (any more than you know that it wasn't) but if it's all the same with you I'll continue to give Dave the benefit of the doubt.

WWE Network on your PS1 sometime down the line.

• Like 3

Ezekiel Jackson saying he's gone from WWE: http:// instagram.com/p/meyOq_waGy/

He basically got to collect his downside for 2 years; they gave up on him pretty much as soon as he dropped the IC belt to Cody Rhodes in August 2011. He was probably hurt by "The" Brian Kendrick's depush a little, but really he wasn't good enough.

Zeke in the back part of WWECW was pretty good w/ Regal & Kozlov, but it seemed like the clock was ticking when Cesaro and Big E (both are younger and better with the same gimmick) came up, and then once Bray started using his finish as a cutoff spot it seemed like it was going to be sooner than later. Just unlucky to get hurt when he did.

Yeah, I remember Zeke looking really good right up at the end of ECW, but then he really never grew from that, partially because he spent time injured. 

On another note, now that we have probably a bunch of new WWEN subscribers that got it to get WM, do you all think that the WWE will book the next bunch of shows in a way that the biggest show six months from now (slated to be Hell in a Cell) is so intriguing that on-the-fence subscribers re-up? I'm talking to the point of making this show at least as big as Summerslam, if not moreso.

I'm sure someone here has mentioned this possibility, but it seems like the logical thing to do is to book to when the bulk of your subscribers are trying to decide whether or not to keep the service. 

Yeah, I remember Zeke looking really good right up at the end of ECW, but then he really never grew from that, partially because he spent time injured.

On another note, now that we have probably a bunch of new WWEN subscribers that got it to get WM, do you all think that the WWE will book the next bunch of shows in a way that the biggest show six months from now (slated to be Hell in a Cell) is so intriguing that on-the-fence subscribers re-up? I'm talking to the point of making this show at least as big as Summerslam, if not moreso.

I'm sure someone here has mentioned this possibility, but it seems like the logical thing to do is to book to when the bulk of your subscribers are trying to decide whether or not to keep the service.

I think we will see things evolve to where we see big pushes, either for shows or new content, to help retain subscribers.

Anyone know the story behind John Cena  and Betty Skaaland? He has sat with her during at least two HOF ceremonies and Cena is always sure to give her some acknowledgement at Mania. Why? What part did Arnold have in the development of Cena?

There's also this: 

https://twitter.com/JohnCena/status/18389462540

Maybe Cena is just a big fan? He did grow up in the Northeast and does seem to be acting as a Bob Backlund style babyface. 

I'll concede the point that I don't know that Bryan-Sheamus was the original plan (any more than you know that it wasn't) but if it's all the same with you I'll continue to give Dave the benefit of the doubt.

I never get tired at this.

So I decided to look at the number of hits the torrent sites got for Mania.  I was feeling relieved when I saw that a total of maybe 3000 people downloaded from XWT and PWT.  I'm thinking "ok, that's not too bad".  It should be much less, but I expected higher.  Then I look at kickass.to and they have over 20,000 people getting it.  I say this as someone who has zero investment in what WWE does, but if you are still illegally downloaded instead of only paying $10, you have no rights to complain and really are what's wrong with the business.

While I won't pretend to justify it, it is worth remembering that they could almost all be based outwith America, where the Network is not available.
That is very much a possibility, and I'll justify bootlegging a $70 show lol.  I was pleasantly surprised at how low the XWT numbers were though.  Mania typically does about 20k on there every year.

Of course, its also interesting to ask how many subs to the Network currently are people from outside the US.

I think a lot of people are sharing login info too.

I never get tired at this.

I wonder if Meltz has any info on the Dreamcast release. Been waiting a while for that one.

I'm anticipating Paul Heyman to do one of the great heel/manager gloat jobs in the history of mankind tonight. In order to properly compare/contrast, what are some other good ones?

Flair's "A tear in my eye!" as Heenan and Perfect cackle in the background after the Royal Rumble comes to mind. I also love Mr. McMahon's antics at Survivor Series and on Raw the next night after they introduce The Rock as The Corporate Champ.

What else am I missing?

She's been in the business for 9 years, maybe she's picked something up.

True, but she's spent most of that in TNA, where I doubt she learned much good about booking.

dr_evil.jpg

Perhaps...a communicable disease?

Well, there was only one option left unaccounted for in "Rock & Rave Infection." Lance Hoyt being redubbed Lance Rock, as he was ...

• Like 1