DVDVR Message Board

Big fuck you to news sites that refuse to moderate comments. Racist pretty much run wild and the site does nothing to moderate them. And by racist I don't mean the cute veiled shit you see on some news stations. I mean flat out Mississippi Burning shit.Nothing is done about it and you see the same people making vile comments repeatedly. This could be solved by actually screening comments, having moderators monitor threads. Or simply eliminating comments. At this point, I am going to assume these sites endorse racist behavior. 

This used to be a major issue on ESPN.com.  Then they switched to using Facebook for comments and it had two effects: 1) It cut the # of comments by about 90%; 2) It cut out 99% of the vile garbage

• Like 2

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of attention whoring behavior whether it comes from a man or a woman. I'm not outraged by it because it is not my family but it does make me shake my head. Again, the bigger issue with the Miley shit to me is her (and her handlers if we need to address them as well) acting how they *think* black people are supposed to act, etc.

It's hard to fault someone for attention-whoring when their entire livelihood is based on being the center of attention. I blame the people who prop up the whole celebrity culture and industry.

I agree with the bolded part though, that is definitely the problem (in Miley's case).

Big fuck you to news sites that refuse to moderate comments. Racist pretty much run wild and the site does nothing to moderate them. And by racist I don't mean the cute veiled shit you see on some news stations. I mean flat out Mississippi Burning shit.Nothing is done about it and you see the same people making vile comments repeatedly. This could be solved by actually screening comments, having moderators monitor threads. Or simply eliminating comments. At this point, I am going to assume these sites endorse racist behavior. 

This used to be a major issue on ESPN.com.  Then they switched to using Facebook for comments and it had two effects: 1) It cut the # of comments by about 90%; 2) It cut out 99% of the vile garbage

This might be literally the first thing I would point to in favor of Facebook, ever, so well done.

Again, the bigger issue with the Miley shit to me is her (and her handlers if we need to address them as well) acting how they *think* black people are supposed to act, etc.

this is an interesting statement. And if you don't mind I'd like to hear it clarified. I totally don't pay attention to this kind of stuff, but I follow horrible people on Twitter, so it's invaded my consciousness. Is Miley Cyrus telling people how they're supposed to act through her music?

For me, it's Miley thinking that having a bunch of black women booty shaking around her is a true representation of urban culture.  She doesn't know enough about that to even have a clue.

She's not telling anyone how to think.  But like many white singers/musicians before her, she found the easiest aspect of a lifestyle she doesn't fully appreciate or understand, and is using said aspect to make money.

• Like 1

Can we have a separate Miley thread please?

All this faux concern and outrageousness about her deeply entertains me and I'm especially interested in

I'm beyond tired of this double-standard slut-shaming hypocritical nonsense that everyone always applies to any female celebrity who dared to first become famous when they were a young girl.
point that Jingus made.

I just feel it's kind out of place in this thread (which I try to avoid because it makes me uncomfortable).

Can we have a separate Miley thread please?

All this faux concern and outrageousness about her deeply entertains me and I'm especially interested in

What amazes me is that people still get worked up about "the kids these days and their provocative dancing and their lewd behaviour" and don't realize how preposterous it is (or how the performances are specifically designed to draw that sort of response).

But yeah, the rampant slut-shaming is bothersome. Glad I'm not seeing that here.

• Like 1

A hearty 'FUCK YOU' to my mother-in-law for telling the wife and I that our three year old daughter must have some sort learning disability or developmental disorder because she doesn't really talk a lot when she's not around us. She's three years old and reading close to 100 words, thanks to your baby can read, and has a memory like a steel trap (we were looking at toys and when I pointed to Goofy and said 'who's that' she guessed Dutch Mantell, because I was watching his shoot interview the day before). Apparently, the idea that the girl is just shy never dawned on her.

Fuck you, Summer!  I loathe heat and humidity.  This has been a fairly average summer in my neck of the woods and I've hated it anyway.  Just tired of it all.  My wife and I have been arguing for two years about where to live.  She wants to move back to the South to be closer to her family.  She also envisions us living in the South without air conditioning (she grew up in Alabama w/o  AC),  I'm too hot here in the Ohio Valley.  I'm not moving somewhere warmer.  I've actually been applying for jobs in SF, San Diego, Seattle.

At this point, our relationship is... not good.  I'm anticipating we move two different parts of the country in 2014 (there are other issues in the marriage, but this is the most contentious).

A hearty 'FUCK YOU' to my mother-in-law for telling the wife and I that our three year old daughter must have some sort learning disability or developmental disorder because she doesn't really talk a lot when she's not around us. She's three years old and reading close to 100 words, thanks to your baby can read, and has a memory like a steel trap (we were looking at toys and when I pointed to Goofy and said 'who's that' she guessed Dutch Mantell, because I was watching his shoot interview the day before). Apparently, the idea that the girl is just shy never dawned on her.

Dude, I feel your pain, I've had that issue personally, I'm a shy person, don't need meds or anything like that, thankfully my parents understood that.  But I never understood, why can't we be shy?  Why do we have to be social and not quiet?  Pisses me off when people say stuff like that.  And good on you for not listening to her.  She sounds like a good normal kid. 

F you to my house's air conditioning that decided to crap out on the hottest week of the year so far.  It only blows room-temperate air right now...had to open a ton of windows and crank all the fans up to full blast.  Worried about my dogs until I can figure out the problem.

Dude, I feel your pain, I've had that issue personally, I'm a shy person, don't need meds or anything like that, thankfully my parents understood that.  But I never understood, why can't we be shy?  Why do we have to be social and not quiet?  Pisses me off when people say stuff like that.  And good on you for not listening to her.  She sounds like a good normal kid. 

The most abnormal thing about her is that she'd rather read a book instead of stare at the idiot box and watch a cartoon. I don't think that's a bad thing in the least.

Fuck you to a girl I know who posted her engagement pics on Facebook and is pretending like she's some celebrity/reality TV star/actress. The guy she got engaged to looks like he runs a convenience store while she looks like a skinny model, so no loss for me. I'm not bitter, really (I can hear some of you say "yes you are"). I don't mind other girls I'm friends with/acquaintances on Facebook getting hitched because they are mostly not bad. But I just find this particular girl annoying.

Fuck you to a girl I know who posted her engagement pics on Facebook and is pretending like she's some celebrity/reality TV star/actress. The guy she got engaged to looks like he runs a convenience store while she looks like a skinny model, so no loss for me. I'm not bitter, really (I can hear some of you say "yes you are"). I don't mind other girls I'm friends with/acquaintances on Facebook getting hitched because they are mostly not bad. But I just find this particular girl annoying.

God, I hope that's not just your way of saying he's brown.

God, I hope that's not just your way of saying he's brown.

Or this maybe:

Posted Image

Guys you know how I always portray myself as the smart switched on dude who is superior to all of you in opinions and intelligence?

Today I applied for a job and realised that for the last two years of applying for jobs on and off, I've been doing so with the wrong phone number on my resume.

• Like 8

Guys you know how I always portray myself as the smart switched on dude who is superior to all of you in opinions and intelligence?

Today I applied for a job and realised that for the last two years of applying for jobs on and off, I've been doing so with the wrong phone number on my resume.

Was it at least an old number you used to have? 

Fucking migraines. Second one this week.

Also, I don't get all of the Miley hate. Never in a million years would I have the guts to go out and do something like that and look an ounce as good as her. Like Jae said, make that money grrl.

How long to does it take to restack six pallets(42 cartons, 1100 lbs/pallet) of ball bearings that tipped over because no effort was made in any way to secure said piles of cartons to said pallets? An hour and a half with the help of a preacher, a fork lift and a pallet jack. Also those six pallets became nine and they were a hell of a lot easier to manuver around than the tall, narrow leaning Towers Of Pisa Imminent Disasters that they originally were. A big THANK YOU to the preacher. A big ATTATBOY to me for not cursing like a sailor. And a BIG FAT SWEATY GREASY GRIMY FUCK YOU to the manufacturer in Vietnam for placing the boxes on narrow CARDBOARD pallet to begin with. A smaller fuck you to the company I haul for for not having ratchet straps available so that the leaning towers of doom could've been secured so that they wouldn't have tipped over. At least I was able to strap down two of them with straps I had in my car. Looks like I'm going out this weekend and buying straps of my own to make sure this never happens again. Plus it means I get to claim them on my taxes at the end of the year. Also ninety minutes is more than enough time to sweat completely through two shirts. And when sweating so much don't be surprised if you almost slide off of the toilet seat when you go to sit down because your legs are sweaty too.Also a huge FUCK YOU to me for rambling on for so long.

Gonna go ahead and drop a big one on various doctors and therapists who put me on an abnormally high dosage of Zoloft in 1996 and just left it there for 17 years, without ever really articulating how unusual it was, or reminding me at some point between then and when I took myself off in March that severe weight gain is a prominent side effect of SSRIs at high doses. No wonder I failed so hard for so long, then suddenly started making progress.