DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 5/22 - 5/28/2024 - Fill My Eyes, With That Double Vision!

Posted (edited)

I know Gordlow is taking a break of sorts and with respect to his reasonings when he was "summoned" I don't want to necessarily tag him.  But in case I forget we need to make sure he goes back and watch Malakai/O'Reilly.  It was easily the MOTN and something that would be so up his alley.  And it sure as shit was up mine too because man that ruled so much.

The show itself was pretty damn great.  It had a mix of great matches and the story beats leading to up to DoN worked very well for me.  The post-match stuff all worked but the bloodbath, Nana's return and Darby with a fucking flamethrower made things really exciting.  Dare I say it captured some of the early Dynamite vibe that I always love?  Yeah, I think I dare.

EDIT:  Oh, right how could I forget Danielson/Singh?  Something that was lost in all the hype was that Singh was technically with the Mavericks (he never played NBA proper but the smaller leagues) and with the Mavs playoff game tonight it was smart to feature him.  And he looked great in the process.  Not sure if they had a plan for the announce table but it was funny seeing relatively small Sonjay accidentally wipe it out.  I at first was not feeling the DQ but for the Anarchy match it worked out pretty well.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tony Khan driving up with Darby Allin and a fucking flamethrower is the carniest fucking shit and I am HERE for it.

Swerve-Nick Wayne was excellent, post-match was even better. Christian is the ultimate stooge.

Toni and Mariah carried Harley (who has some potential given her bumping and selling, atrocious on offense though) and a washed but game Saraya to a solid match. Post-match maybe showed some needed course correction on the heel-face alignment, but Deeb kills another crowd.

Danielson-Satnam made me very nostalgic for the days of Andre matches, I honestly hope Satnam keeps working and learning because true giant matches are so rare now. I don’t know if he’s up for a dropkick (which I would mark out like crazy for) but he can bump and is more mobile than your average giant. I know Danielson booked a perfect match but still, there might be something here.

At first, I thought Hook watched Shibata throwing forearms in the corner and was learning, then he reverted to his shitty strikes and dangerous throws and then we get the dumbest fucking ending to a match. Poor Bryan Keith, Jericho was trying to get him over but that booking makes him such an afterthought.

Mox just walking in and decking Lard Lad with the mic ruled.

Ospreay-OC tag team had a ton of chemistry and I’m super intrigued to see what they could do with that. Great match.

KOR-Black was very different, would not want a lot of those matches but it was nice variety. I think Fish and Cole were holding O’Reilly back. Do I want Brood Adam Copeland? No, I do not. Am I going to get it? I guess so.

Mercedes-Willow video package was solid stuff until the end, when it seemed as though they added booing to the audio after Willow bombed Mone through the table when in fact the crowd was popping (and obviously so in video).

oh joy, Death Triangle is back...

• Like 3

Lots of good build to Double or Nothing which looks pretty stacked. 

Women's tag was fun.  We definitely need Bryan vs Jarrett after all this, an epic first time ever encounter.

Loved the ending angle with Tony revealed as the driver and Darby bringing the flamethrower, that ruled.

• Like 2

I like chickenshit Nick Wayne way more than I like flippy Nick Wayne. That was the most I enjoyed a Swerve match in a while.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I know Gordlow is taking a break of sorts and with respect to his reasonings when he was "summoned" I don't want to necessarily tag him.  But in case I forget we need to make sure he goes back and watch .  It was easily the MOTN and something that would be so up his alley.  And it sure as shit was up mine too because man that ruled so much.

The show itself was pretty damn great.  It had a mix of great matches and the story beats leading to up to DoN worked very well for me.  The post-match stuff all worked but the bloodbath, Nana's return and Darby with a fucking flamethrower made things really exciting.  Dare I say it captured some of the early Dynamite vibe that I always love?  Yeah, I think I dare.

EDIT:  Oh, right how could I forget Danielson/Singh?  Something that was lost in all the hype was that Singh was technically with the Mavericks (he never played NBA proper but the smaller leagues) and with the Mavs playoff game tonight it was smart to feature him.  And he looked great in the process.  Not sure if they had a plan for the announce table but it was funny seeing relatively small Sonjay accidentally wipe it out.  I at first was not feeling the DQ but for the Anarchy match it worked out pretty well.

Thanks Niko! I was actually half-watching "live" today while getting ready for work, etc. 

Malakai vs O'Reilly had my full attention and I definitely enjoyed that! Good call drawing it to my attention, it would have been a drag to miss that.

I think it might be reasonable to say that, even though neither match was actually BAD, that we saw pretty easily Bryan's worst singles match and arguably Toni's worst overall match in AEW today. Though that's as much a compliment to Bryan and Toni (because they have set such a high bar that a "fine" match is at the bottom of their lists) as it is shade on Saraya/Whatsherface and Satnam (who was 100% "fine" as a Main Event Singles Superstar).

But overall today was more confirmation that a huge amount of the stuff I loved about AEW (good guys having -and being - loyal friends, no fuck finishes, guys just being themselves on commentary, etc etc) is no longer part of the show, and has been replaced by cheesy member-berry-tickling Sports Entertainment and so AEW in 2024 is not really for me.

Neither is current HOT-dominated NJPW. 

I had been counting on Forbidden Door to re-ignite that fire... But with Ospreay and Okada and Shibata already in the fold...

Maybe we'll get more Cobb? Maybe Shooter? Tsuji? I think Tsuji in AEW would be pretty fresh! 

Of course I will ALWAYS mark out for more Suzuki and/or Ishii in AEW!

It's kind of on topic:

I really got back into No Man's Sky after the last expedition, a couple of months back. (Which was designed to bring back lapsed players).

The game was massively hyped but was a massive disappointment when it first came out. EXACTLY like Fight Forever.

But, 100% unlike FF, the NMS developers added literally dozens of massive updates to the game FOR FREE and it's now an awesomely enjoyable space exploration sandbox. And they have therefore sold millions of copies of the game, generated a ton of positive word of mouth and built up an enormous loyal fanbase. 

In stark contrast, Fight Forever continues to hilariously overcharge for tiny disappointing updates in a desperate bid to recoup some of their development overrun.

It's absolutely contributed to me souring on AEW as an organisation. Oh how I wish they had learned from No Man's Sky!

- Gordi, the former AEW fan.

EDIT: Here is how curmudgeonly I have become toward AEW (if anyone was wondering):

In my opinion, flamethrowers are NOT "professional wrestling" 

I didn't pop for that, I didn't think it was cool, and it in no way made me more excited for Anarchy in the Arena.

I didn't HATE it. It's just firmly in the "not for me" zone.

EDIT 2: I straight up HATED the bloodbath. But I was IMPRESSED with how quickly they cleaned that up. I assume Mox ran out, put his forehead in the blood and soaked it all up to use later.

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 4

Malakai/KOR was good stuff. A little change in formula goes a long ways.

Swerve/Wayne was good too. I think we take for granted that Nick Wayne is 19, when he wrestles like a 15-year vet. Swerve is in his prime and he's been good at getting the right amount of offense in his TV matches. He doesn't do long heat segments against guys that shouldn't be working over a top champion, and makes it feel like lower ranked guys really have to earn offense against him. Everyone comes out looking better in the end.

Darby ending the show chasing off the heels with a flame-thower was pro wrestling AF.

• Like 5

Loved how OC was locked on to Trent from minute 1, I'm really looking forward to their match Sunday. Is the endgame of the Callis/OC interactions that Ospreay breaks away from Don and OC joins the Empire?

"Darby got final destinationed by a bus in New York"

"Was that a kick Jones?" " You're really pissing me off Schiavone!"

Noticed @The Natural holding up his "Push Penta" sign in the crowd 😉

Lots of faces standing tall tonight for a go home show 🤔

Nick Jackson was my MVP of the closing angle with his excellent screaming after going through the table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Really enjoyed most of this show especially Nana coolly sipping coffee as he cut off Christian. I really hope they never break up Swerve and Nana.

Did not like the flamethrower. Also not for me. In kayfabe, what's to stop someone from bringing a gun if someone has a flamethrower? It didn't ruin the show for me but I wasn't a fan.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 6

I'm 2/3rds through Dynamite. I thought it's been a pretty strong go home show, all things considered. Cassidy and Ospreay were fun interacting with one another. Ospreay works well in a tag setting where he can hit big shine offense and then be there for the hot tag. Commercial breaks were fun with Taz calling Bakersfield Armpit Jones and then later, Tony screwing up the Jones by trying to say "Kick Jones" and getting piled on by Taz and Excalibur (He redeemed himself with "One-eye Jones"). Having heard the Bucks on AEW Unrestricted on the way in this morning too, their act is way too close to Jericho's. I hate to say it but they should probably merge them. It'd ensure they get heat instead of some cheers maybe. Though you can't really picture Perry next to Jericho right now. 

I think this is a strong PPV card overall. Lowest on the list for me personally are the trios match and the Ospreay match and I think both will be very good for what they set out to do. Roddy will destroy Ospreay's back but that's probably not how to deal with him. I thought the Taylor match was very effective in not using body part focus but instead a lot of interference and distraction in order to keep the heat. That meant when he had his comeback he didn't have to shrug off anything. If I was putting together an Ospreay match, I'd try to find ways other than a body part focus to keep over on him. But anyway, should be a good PPV. Hopefully they have a hot crowd. With Vegas you never know.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

The first fall finish to a (rarer) three way elimination was just rotten. I was on board for the beginning of this Learning Tree, but my confidence is wavering. Edit: I realized after that this was a three way ‘eliminator’ match. They've being doing some proper elimination rules lately. Probably worth mentioning the triple threat rules, no?

On the Chauffeur Khan - weak choice to film the screen rather than switch to the goddamn camera outside. A flamethrower, uh, alright fine. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I guess they could have had a Danielson vs Dutt/Jarrett/Satnam gauntlet match if they wanted to do Danielson vs Jarrett and Danielson vs Satnam without having Danielson spend 2 shows on this group.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Did not like the flamethrower. Also not for me. In kayfabe, what's to stop someone from bringing a gun if someone has a flamethrower? It didn't ruin the show for me but I wasn't a fan.

You say that, but Cash is in Anarchy in the Arena this Sunday - so I'd just hold my tongue for a second.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I get why people didn't like Darby with the flamethrower but I feel it's on brand for him.  He's a risk-taking SOB who maybe felt after FTR was taken out he needed some high-powered backup.  It doesn't feel like much of a leap for me to assume he either has done or knows somebody that would have a flamethrower for giggles.  Then you toss in TK who would normally know better but after taking the TK Driver is himself blinded by revenge.  So yeah I can see him hearing Darby's pitch and in that state of mind going for it.

Again I'm not saying "This is cool and you're wrong for hating it!"  It's just more me figuring out why and also me admitting to still being an AEW apologist (have always been actually but just largely keep quiet about that)

But if nothing else Darby does look pretty damn cool with the fire so I'm sure they're getting plenty use of promo stuff while they have that on hand.

• Like 4

When I saw Darby with a flamethrower, my first thought was, "Oh, of course he has a flamethrower." I could buy that being something he had laying around the house.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But if nothing else Darby does look pretty damn cool with the fire so I'm sure they're getting plenty use of promo stuff while they have that on hand.

That was my thought, too - a little bit goofy, sure, but that's gonna get so much mileage in commercials, hype packages, show intros, etc.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

He needs to at least blow fire on someone. Bring a sickle like Mr. Pogo, light it on fire and pop someone with it. 

Yeah that's a good point actually - even if he just used it to light a table or something, no one wouldve thought about it that much

• Like 1