DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 5/1 - 5/7/2024 - Little Ditty 'Bout Jack & Tony Khan

Oh yeah, life goes on...

tony-khan-aew.gif

...long after the meta spike piledriver was done. 

I'm sure this week will feature lots and lots of fallout from The Greatest Turn in AEW History Of The Century was done.  I just had to get this stupid pun out of my head. 

Spoiler

Let it rock... Let it roll...  Let the Kenny O, come and save my soul....

Enjoy your week! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

To the previous AEW thread conversation surrounding the need for more story. I personally don't need or want any kind of elaborate Story, but setting the table of any contest with a modicum of build thru production packages and promos goes a long way in providing a crucial shine. The last number of weeks of AEW TV has provided lots of worthwhile and necessary reminder/builder videos, and it's a quiet improvement. It's not perfect, but it's a good sign. There's also been a lot of really good promos - it is a bit unfortunate that so many of the best ones go unseen on twitter.

• Like 7

That's probably a better way to say in writing what I say to myself in my head before I mangle it in the process of typing it. I do think there should be an overarching general direction for your company and the titles, but I don't need weeks of setup for everything. I like legit sports. Sometimes the Red Sox & Yankees play and it's a huge deal because of the decades of beef. Sometimes the Red Sox play the Padres and there's zero history, other than the Red Sox' best player signing with the Padres last offseason. Not every encounter is going to be steeped in narrative. That's ok. Sometimes it's just about winning and getting paid. I do wish they'd say that on tv more.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

They added a Joe vs Kassidy mauling, Claudio vs Brian Cage, and a Cassidy interview for Dynamite and White vs Dante for Rampage. 

Interesting. For some reason, I thought Joe was off filming Twisted Metal or something. Now, I think there's a good chance that he ends up being Swerve's challenger. Maybe that dog collar match someone mentioned?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Not every encounter is going to be steeped in narrative. That's ok. Sometimes it's just about winning and getting paid. I do wish they'd say that on tv more.

Nothing makes me go colder on a match than when someone goes "let's go out there and put on a great match". I literally could not care less, to me that phrase is code for "this match doesn't matter and we're just doing it for ratings from Meltzer". How does that help someone get a title shot? How does that help someone get paid more? Why should I cancel all my plans to watch?

Your example about how the Red Sox signed the Padres' best player is actually a great example. That first game's going to have intrigue. Then if the Padres' pitcher beans the guy who used to be on their team, hey I might just watch the next game to see if someone else gets beaned in response. Which is impressive for me because I think baseball is boring as heck. But if the tension doesn't carry over, then I might only check in when I get a text from my partner about how a game has been delayed due to a bee swarm so I can look at all the shots of cute bees.

But yeah. Little things like "this match can help you earn more money" or "this match gets you closer to this title" or whatever. It's not hard. It's easy to do. It doesn't detract from the meat of the match whatsoever. I have literally no idea why people are so resistant to the idea.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

So Shibata repeatedly complementing Renee is going to get him mauled by Mox, right?

Shibata is booked against Jericho tonight, which I don't really want to see Jericho go over Shibata. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Log said:

Interesting. For some reason, I thought Joe was off filming Twisted Metal or something. Now, I think there's a good chance that he ends up being Swerve's challenger. Maybe that dog collar match someone mentioned?

Yeah that was the general belief, which for me came from hearing Mike Mitchell on the Doughboys podcast talk about heading to Canada soon to film the show.🤷🏻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Shibata is booked against Jericho tonight, which I don't really want to see Jericho go over Shibata. 

Nor do I - but in a strange way, I'm really eager to see Jericho in with a guy at Shibata's level after the Hook match just to get a better sense of what specifically went wrong there (meaning - was it on Hook's greenery, was it on Jericho needing to listen to his body and slow the pace a bit, was it simply an off-night, is it a layout or agenting thing similarly to my theory on the Cole match from last summer, etc).

Edit for clarity: since everyone knows I'm a long time Jericho guy despite his recent overexposure, I thought I should emphasize here that I'm not like, warming up and winding up my pitch to shit on Hook or anything - I'm equally prepared for the outcome here to be that '22 was Jericho's last great year as a full timer.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

We're gonna see another Dog Collar match before the year is up because of DEAN I bet. 

@Dolfan at least you didn't try and work the "suckin' on a chili dog" line into something... (man I read those lyrics and there is a line about finger banging in there?!)

Also, we should be counting our blessings: Jericho gets to be ground into powder by Shibata! I don't care if he loses, he still gets to pummel that aging muppet. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

No disrespect intended to Joe/Swerve whatsoever, but they've got a steep mountain to climb having to follow the other two AEW dog collar matches in Cody/Brody and Punk/MJF - the former is probably one of AEW's top 5 matches ever for me, and the latter not only makes the top ten as well, but for all the talk about "storytelling," was probably among the best theyve ever done in that departnent. That said, if anyone can get it done, it's probably these guys - I actually kind of thought they were foreshadowing a Swerve/Hangman collar match when he hung him off the ring post in their Texas death match

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Those both feature guys that aren't with the company anymore (unfortunately really not with the company regarding Brody) so they've got even further reason to bust one out.

I kinda had that thought too, I go to myself at least they'll have a new one for hype videos, intro packages, and the like

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I mentioned after last Saturday's Shibata & Garcia team up that I would like to see them together as a regular team.

Now that we're getting Shibata vs Jericho, I wonder if this is the start of a battle for the soul of Garcia - Sports Entertainer vs Wrestler.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

Now that we're getting Shibata vs Jericho, I wonder if this is the start of a battle for the soul of Garcia - Sports Entertainer vs Wrestler.

That could be cool. Lots of stuff to reference there with the JAS history, and because they were around so long and interacted with basically everybody, there are also tons of guys you could pull into that story - I was just talking about Jake Hager the other day in relation to the burgeoning Big Bill angle - something like your idea would be a nice way to get some TV reps in for folks like him, Ortiz, Menard/Parker, maybe we see returns from Sammy, Yuta if he's healthy. You have some pre-existing issues with folks like Danielson and Kingston. I like it

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

No disrespect intended to Joe/Swerve whatsoever, but they've got a steep mountain to climb having to follow the other two AEW dog collar matches in Cody/Brody and Punk/MJF - the former is probably one of AEW's top 5 matches ever for me, and the latter not only makes the top ten as well, but for all the talk about "storytelling," was probably among the best theyve ever done in that departnent. That said, if anyone can get it done, it's probably these guys - I actually kind of thought they were foreshadowing a Swerve/Hangman collar match when he hung him off the ring post in their Texas death match

I love those dog collar matches. Ditto #FTR vs. Briscoe Brothers in ROH.

• Like 3

Enjoyed Mariah/Serena. And nice to see the concerned side come out of Toni. 

Skye Blue/Willow was awesome. Skye is so much more fun as the deranged heel. 

• Like 3

Things I Remember from tonight's episode of Dyna-page:

This won't go in any sort of chronological order because it went 3+ hours

I think that Rampage was sort of the afterparty tonight even if it had matches that looked good when I looked at the TV.

The angle ending Dynamite was sorta predictable. Choose to believe what you want in regards to Kenny's ability to do anything without ending up in a hospital. It's Kenny Omega, so there's probably a strong chance that he's actually gonna try to wait out what he has.

The Bucks as the evil overlords of the show is fucking lame and lazy booking.

Although them cutting off Tony's intro was kinda fun.

Chris Jericho is as lame as ever but they might be leaning into that.

Feels like hitting someone with a bag filled with hockey pucks is how you assault someone in Canada

Orange is all alone because Chuck Taylor is gone

Swerve is now feuding with Christian Cage in a "tie up the strings from 8 months ago" feud

Oh yeah, Brian Cage showed up and lost.

Buddy Matthews vs Copeland looked fun

I remember nothing about Joe/Kassidy

Of all the nights, this was one of them.

• Like 1

I think the show ending angle tonight worked infinitely better than last week's. I also liked how the angle carried over into Rampage for about 15 minutes.

Tony Schiavone had the line of the night, "We need to call the police, guys!"

• Like 2

I saw Shibata wrestle live. Fuck yeah what a night. And he got hit in the face with a hockey puck, puts all his New Japan matches in the trash

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2