DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/29 - 5/5/2024 - Chadeness (Part I)

Tatum tweeting "MY HOME" after Ivar and Oba smashed through the barricade was great. A bit unfortunate that she wasn't on the show after last week.

Jacy was bleeding quite a bit after her match, I hope she's OK.

Fallon's outburst makes sense given what she's been through the past months (taking Jazmyn's Pele for Thea, being on the outside of the Stand and Deliver celebration, regretting breaking up with Brooks and Jensen, getting upset by Jaida without anyone in her corner). It also feels more real than Jacy's one-dimensional (albeit delightful) contrarian villainy, and it's not out of left field to be exasperated with Chase U - but it'll be disappointing if it leads to a YOU FANS promo and slide towards cruelty for the sake of it.

I really like Sol as a basically reasonable person that everyone is OK with, it lets her interact with a lot of Big Personalities and find a more sure footing as a character. Jaida was a bit nervous on the mic but ultimately delivered; Sol seemed to be rushing a bit to hit her marks. Both Sol and Jaida had good asides while Ariana was talking, and Mia is probably in the ladder match to steady it out.

Ridge on the verge of being pulled into the Chase U vortex is intriguing. Him and Andre being reasonable to each other was really nice to see, somehow.

• Like 2

That Natalya Niedhart vs Lola Vice NXT Underground match was bloody terrible. 

Firstly, the work itself was showing a lot of holes. Lots of times, someone would be wide open for a strike, and their opponent would just stand there, or do a big wind-up for one, despite that not being what shootstyle is. What shootstyle is, is bringing pro-wrestling down to it's essence as a fake fight. So you take away all of the unrealistic things that make pro-wrestling look unlike a real fight. This attempted that, but they could resist from adding a lot of the extra bullshit sprinkles back in.

Like. take down the ring ropes and don't have any inorganic running or jumping moves, that's a great idea in principle. Only they did put a bunch of inorganic running and jumping in, they just did it diving from the ring to the floor. But table spots? Ringpost spots? A run-in? A distraction finish? That's the kind of bullshit that shootstyle is supposed to eliminate. But of course, these indoctrinated, McMahon-brained minds can't envision a bullshit free version of what they do, because it's all founded on bullshit. It has a fundament of nonsense. Here's these two professional combat sports athletes, they hate each other, they're going to try to beat one another's brains out, but if something dramatic happens away from the ring, by golly they'll abandon a fully applied submission hold to go and take care of it. It's bollocks. Khabib didn't jump out of the cage to attack Dillon Danis until after the referee had stopped the Conor fight.

But of course, they weren't trying to be "WWE does Bloodsport". They were doing BloodSports Entertainment. It's like having the X Factor winner do a cover of a great song; The Simon Cowell production values kill the authenticity of the song, reduce it to a dull, formulaic puddle of nothing, and then Simon Cowell himself sits there smugly congratulating himself on how he's actually improved Hallelujah, and Alexandra Burke's version is better than Jeff Buckley's (because it sold more).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

That Natalya Niedhart vs Lola Vice NXT Underground match was bloody terrible. 

Firstly, the work itself was showing a lot of holes. Lots of times, someone would be wide open for a strike, and their opponent would just stand there, or do a big wind-up for one, despite that not being what shootstyle is. What shootstyle is, is bringing pro-wrestling down to it's essence as a fake fight. So you take away all of the unrealistic things that make pro-wrestling look unlike a real fight. This attempted that, but they could resist from adding a lot of the extra bullshit sprinkles back in.

Like. take down the ring ropes and don't have any inorganic running or jumping moves, that's a great idea in principle. Only they did put a bunch of inorganic running and jumping in, they just did it diving from the ring to the floor. But table spots? Ringpost spots? A run-in? A distraction finish? That's the kind of bullshit that shootstyle is supposed to eliminate. But of course, these indoctrinated, McMahon-brained minds can't envision a bullshit free version of what they do, because it's all founded on bullshit. It has a fundament of nonsense. Here's these two professional combat sports athletes, they hate each other, they're going to try to beat one another's brains out, but if something dramatic happens away from the ring, by golly they'll abandon a fully applied submission hold to go and take care of it. It's bollocks. Khabib didn't jump out of the cage to attack Dillon Danis until after the referee had stopped the Conor fight.

But of course, they weren't trying to be "WWE does Bloodsport". They were doing BloodSports Entertainment. It's like having the X Factor winner do a cover of a great song; The Simon Cowell production values kill the authenticity of the song, reduce it to a dull, formulaic puddle of nothing, and then Simon Cowell himself sits there smugly congratulating himself on how he's actually improved Hallelujah, and Alexandra Burke's version is better than Jeff Buckley's (because it sold more).

Haven't watched the match but man, I can't stand the X Factor and Simon Cowell. Feel same way about Ant and Dec, Piers Morgan, Simon Cowell and Amanda Holden from Britain's Got Talent.

My biggest worries for wrestling for 2024 are

1. AEW doesn't get a good enough renewal
  2. Danielson gets hurt really bad and can't finish his retirement run
  3. Seth Rollins signs with AEW

Thankfully, crisis averted on #3.

Speed tourney final was fun but I don't totally see the point of a title that by definition has no storylines. They announced that next week starts a 4-man mini-tournament to see who challenges next.  And it's a hoss v hoss match and a cruiser v cruiser match, so I'm guessing the winner will be the hoss who's not already on TV every week to give the champ a successful defense vs a giant.

• Like 1

Title matches having a 5 minute time limit instead of the usual 3 minute time limit was a nice touch. I also like that the matches do feel decidedly different to me from how matches on the regular shows feel.

In the back of my mind I'm waiting for them to have two wrestlers that keep drawing against each other which results in them having a "Best of X" series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

Title matches having a 5 minute time limit instead of the usual 3 minute time limit was a nice touch. I also like that the matches do feel decidedly different to me from how matches on the regular shows feel.

In the back of my mind I'm waiting for them to have two wrestlers that keep drawing against each other which results in them having a "Best of X" series.

Thinking about the gimmick match variations:

10 minute iron man match

last man standing with a 5 count

royal rumble with 10 seconds intervals

• Like 3

LVLUP was fun this week. Eddy Thorpe/Kale Dixon was decent, Kelani Jordan v Kendal Gray was neat because Gray was an undefeated amateur wrestler and you really don't see women do a lot of amateur-style spots, and Je'Von Evans vs Riley Osborne was exactly what you'd expect from those 2 working a minor-show main event--fast, short, fun as hell while it lasted. I picked the right week to check in after a couple months of not doing so. I still absolutely do not understand the "you can watch this 30 min taped show 'live' on Peacock on Friday, but if you miss it you have to wait til Sunday, go to Hulu, and it will have needless Raw recaps added to stretch it to an hour" model for this show.

Posted (edited)

I haven't checked out the show but those matches sound like fun. I'll have to catch this in the morning for some Saturday morning goodness. 

Oh, yeah Smackdown. Crowd was really loud and fun though they got annoying when the face off happened. Aside from that they were great. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Bayley/Naomi/Bianca/Jade vs. Tiffany/Dakota/Asuka/Kairi was pretty fun with some decent action and great crowd reaction. Dug Bianca & Jade's Dominator double team, and I loved Bianca clearly being at odds with Bayley during the match and even after in the backstage interview.

Authors of Pain vs. New Catch Republic was good. The Authors were their usual monster selves with Bate and Dunne putting up a good fight with spirit, cleverness, & speed. Glad this got to happen in front of such a receptive audience in France. 

Knight/Angel was decent. Knight's promo with Santos afterwards was better.

The RKO show was alright. I enjoy the revelation right before that Heyman hasn't actually spoken to Roman since Wrestlemania. Adds another nice wrinkle in the current Bloodline story.

Street Profits vs. Theory/Waller was pretty solid.

The faceoff between AJ and Cody was good and brought some decent drama to the table. 

Nothing here was great despite a good match in AOP vs. NCR. The crowd added a ton to the atmosphere with everything being made a bit better with their reactions. Hopefully Backlash delivers a show well worth this kind of hot crowd though I think it will be fun at worst.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I haven't checked out the show but those matches sound like fun. I'll have to catch this in the morning for some Saturday morning goodness. 

I haven't tried to check on Sat since the Heritage Classic league tourney last summer, but at that point it was Sunday morning. The whole setup with it being "live" on Peacock, then replays for a month on Hulu, then month-old eps going back to Peacock for the archive, is infuriating.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That fucking crowd. I can't wait to wake up and watch Saturday morning wrestling at 9:30 local time. They were fuckin' NUCLEAR. No idea what the hell they were doing during the main event talking where suddenly everyone in the background was looking like France had just won the World Cup again but I'll take a hyped crowd 10/10 times unless it's a bunch of smarky neckbeards.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Boy, people online really seem to hate gable Steveson, all the oeopke wanting him fired/released today.

According to Meltzer, seems they got their wish. Other than it being a dick move to not let him do the Olympic qualifiers if they were going to release him anyway, no notes.

And if you didn't know, apparently he raped a drunk girl at a party and got away with it because of a loophole in Minnesota state laws at the time. To quote: "a person who is sexually assaulted while intoxicated isn't considered "mentally incapacitated" if he or she consumed alcohol or drugs voluntarily". That has since been changed.

5 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

That fucking crowd. I can't wait to wake up and watch Saturday morning wrestling at 9:30 local time. They were fuckin' NUCLEAR. No idea what the hell they were doing during the main event talking where suddenly everyone in the background was looking like France had just won the World Cup again but I'll take a hyped crowd 10/10 times unless it's a bunch of smarky neckbeards.

I am sure someone will easily tell me other situations, but I can't remember the last time I heard something like this concerning wrestling in a major arena

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/1786516096138269138

Well except for Karrion Kross. The man is as about as popular as a Zima on dollar beer night at a game.   If you can't get a reaction from that crowd it is over for you

6 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

People on Twitter saying it was this famous party song they were singing 

• Haha 1

Holy shit. This was maybe the hottest crowd I’ve ever heard. Louder than MitB 2011. WWE needs to do the NFL, NHL, and, well, I guess all pro sports thing and show the decibel reading for the arena. 

5 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

According to Meltzer, seems they got their wish. Other than it being a dick move to not let him do the Olympic qualifiers if they were going to release him anyway, no notes.

And if you didn't know, apparently he raped a drunk girl at a party and got away with it because of a loophole in Minnesota state laws at the time. To quote: "a person who is sexually assaulted while intoxicated isn't considered "mentally incapacitated" if he or she consumed alcohol or drugs voluntarily". That has since been changed.

How is keeping that fuck from making the Olympics a dick move?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dragonzombie said:

They will announce where WrestleMania 41 is taking place next year.

EDIT:  Never mind mentioned on the main board

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1