DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

https://twitter.com/WrestleOps/status/1776328715909181642

one of Trips better takes

16 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Say what you will about Ian, but his post match promo at Tournament of Death 5 was great. Listing things he's seen and ending with "I've seen royal weddings. I've even seen two goats fucking. But I've never seen anything like the Necro Butcher." Had me dying. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndBw-sJO9vg&ab_channel=champsky12

All billionaires are policy failures and fodder, but HHH pulling the boomer grindset for his rapist billionaire father-in-law while TK provides a family-friendly schedule sure is some shit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

16 hours ago, JLowe said:

All billionaires are policy failures and fodder, but HHH pulling the boomer grindset for his rapist billionaire father-in-law while TK provides a family-friendly schedule sure is some shit.

If you're a top guy.

Otherwise, you have to risk getting fired for getting injured working indy's to suppliment the maybe one show you work.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

If you're a top guy.

Otherwise, you have to risk getting fired for getting injured working indy's to suppliment the maybe one show you work.  

Yep, the workers need to organize.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

According to the clips of the Wrestlemania documentary that aired after night one. They had be had that Mania card booked before Vince left back in October. I thought that was interesting because many people assumed Rocks involvement was to deflect from the Vince scandals 

NCAA Final Four big venues that haven't hosted a Wrestlemania: Alamodome, Kingdome (no longer exists), Lucas Oil Stadium, Metrodome (no longer exists), NRG Stadium, Tropicana Field (just for non-baseball season events), US Bank Stadium (not yet)

NCAA Final Four big venues that have hosted a Wrestlemania: Astrodome, AT&T Stadium, Superdome, Ford Field, Georgia Dome, Hoosier Dome, Lucas Oil Stadium, Reliant Stadium, University of Phoenix Stadium

NCAA scheduled the Final Four for Mercades-Benz Stadium in Atlanta for 2020 which might get a Wrestlemania one of these days.

I just found out that the HHH comments were over Ospreay signing to AEW instead and with that crucial piece of context, it is such hilariously passive-aggressive horseshit, even more than it already felt. Yelling "WELL WE DIDN'T WANT HIM ANYWAY HE WAS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR OUR SCHEDULE" and then running away is what it sounds like, with Chris Tucker standing there telling Ice Cube "He gonna cry in the car."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

NCAA Final Four big venues that haven't hosted a Wrestlemania: Alamodome, Kingdome (no longer exists), Lucas Oil Stadium, Metrodome (no longer exists), NRG Stadium, Tropicana Field (just for non-baseball season events), US Bank Stadium (not yet)

NCAA Final Four big venues that have hosted a Wrestlemania: Astrodome, AT&T Stadium, Superdome, Ford Field, Georgia Dome, Hoosier Dome, Lucas Oil Stadium, Reliant Stadium, University of Phoenix Stadium

NCAA scheduled the Final Four for Mercades-Benz Stadium in Atlanta for 2020 which might get a Wrestlemania one of these days.

IIRC Wasn't the Alamodome built to attract a NFL team to San Antonio? I say that because one of the first big events there was the Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Pernell Whitaker robbery in 1993, and that was something they mentioned on commentary throughout the PPV if I am not mistaken. 

I thought it was bold move they did the 97 Rumble there because they weren't exactly knocking them dead in late 96/early 97. I mean most of those IYH PPVs in 1996 were in real small mid sized arenas. To go from that to doing that crowd at the Rumble tells you that momentum largely is just an opinion.

the only NBA game i've seen in person was Spurs/Lakers in the Alamodome, so San Antonio settled for putting their basketball in a dome for a few years after missing out on 1990s NFL expansion

but yeah, the only reason why they ran the Rumble in San Antonio is obvious (HBK) and I suspect the only reason why they might run the Alamodome again is also HBK

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

IIRC Wasn't the Alamodome built to attract a NFL team to San Antonio? I say that because one of the first big events there was the Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Pernell Whitaker robbery in 1993, and that was something they mentioned on commentary throughout the PPV if I am not mistaken. 

I thought it was bold move they did the 97 Rumble there because they weren't exactly knocking them dead in late 96/early 97. I mean most of those IYH PPVs in 1996 were in real small mid sized arenas. To go from that to doing that crowd at the Rumble tells you that momentum largely is just an opinion.

Yes. 

And one reason they looked luchadors for that ppv was to draw Hispanic fans to help fill the Dome. 

• Like 1

When WCW did their one or two shows there, they were just Nitros at a stadium. Nothing memorable or anything. Just your average Nitro. It felt once WWF started to turn the tide that WCW started treating those dome shows with any type of reverence (fingerpoke not withstanding). Too little, too late, but that's probably what they should have been doing from the beginning.

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

You listed Lucas Oil for both. The RCA/Hoosier Dome hosted WM8. That was torn down years ago. Lucas Oil was built near where the RCA Dome was. Lucas Oil is really fucking nice and holds over 70k. It’s also a retractable roof. It would be nice if WM would be there. Downtown Indy is pretty nice, Bankers Life Fieldhouse is right down the road to host SD, Raw, and the NXT PLE. Then not that it matters to WWE, but there’s a bunch of great smaller venues for indy shows like the Egyptian Room at the Old National Centre. And parking is pretty good and easy. Plus, Indy pulled off hosting a Super Bowl at Lucas Oil and it was a huge success. There was a ton of stuff to do downtown. Indy should try to pivot from hosting another Super Bowl and try to land a WM.

• Like 2

If the next WrestleMania comes to Minneapolis then I’m taking that week off (or some of the days around it lol). Hopefully cool people like Suzuki fly in for the week of shows. 🤞

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

thought it was bold move they did the 97 Rumble there because they weren't exactly knocking them dead in late 96/early 97. I mean most of those IYH PPVs in 1996 were in real small mid sized arenas. To go from that to doing that crowd at the Rumble tells you that momentum largely is just an opinion.

Indeed - the December 1996 PPV was held in the former West Palm Beach Auditorium (capacity 6,000), the site of where I watched Ric Flair bleed a gusher at a random CWF house show in 1985.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 7:55 PM, sabremike said:

https://youtu.be/AXc7ZcrtW6M?si=X_onDDw0jklMnInh

Danielson-Blue Panther highlights. Good lord this was amazing, AEW needs to find a way to do a TV taping at Arena Mexico.

Since when have luchadors who dropped famous mask matches been allowed to re-mask? I guess another little grain of integrity in wrestling has been swept into the dustpan of history.

• Thanks 1