DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/27 - 4/2/2024 - Sit Tight, Take Hold... Thunder Rosa

So we're into another week and we're a few weeks from Dynasty.   Here's what's on tap from Quebec!

GJmVMRwXEAA3HLC?format=jpg&name=small

TABERNACK! 

• Like 2

Tony announced the rankings! return again after Dynamite and Swerve/Takeshita will be for the #1 spot.

Other matches added are Skye vs Statlander vs Anna Jay vs Willow for a TBS title shot at Dynasty, with Mercedes Mone on commentary

and Trent/Orange vs Undisputed Kingdom in the tag tournament.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I really wish they'd stop putting Takeshita in positions where he has to lose.

Who are you to doubt Komander?!

Edit: eh, doesn't really make sense but whatever.

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, I would take hold of Thunder Rosa...

Anyway, other than the tag matches (which will be fine) this looks to be a great night. I imagine we’ll hear from Adam Copeland as well.

• Like 1

Things I remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Missed last week due to Royals Spring Training on TV.

Ospreay/Shibata looked fun, Bucks/Private Party too, the women's match had Willow bulldozing people a few times, I didn't realize Mone's shirt was open and not a design for a moment, Main event was fun

also we got Dustin on TV. The Butcher on TV. Dustin is facing the Butcher.

The other tag match was also fun and I'm sure Bucks/Friends should be pretty solid.

• Like 2

Ospreay/Shibata awakened some classic DVDVR haterade within me. Nothing mattered and nobody cared who won. It made me want to shout at some kid on reddit about how Taue's better than Kobashi.

5 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Ospreay/Shibata awakened some classic DVDVR haterade within me. Nothing mattered and nobody cared who won. It made me want to shout at some kid on reddit about how Taue's better than Kobashi.

Yeah, look. Can I just watch the women’s match or should I watch the Kingdom match too? 

Weirdly enough the Young Bucks have an uncanny ability to make Private Party seem important. I struggle to say this without grinding my teeth, but any haters and habitual fast-forwarders should keep an eye on what they're doing under their new gimmick.

• Like 6

So which of the half-puroresu matches was better? Shibata and Ospreay started off all Britwres and had a weird moment where Shibata raised a crossed leg and hovered his arm below it for... reasons? After that it turned into basically a plain ol Shibata match (probably better than a plain ol Ospreay match) but totally lost me when the first elbow got the one count and then that mean Tiger Driver got a two. Nope. Meanwhile we got Swerve doing whatever he could to climb up the brick wall of Takeshita but falling over and over again, since the bricks liked to jump out and smash him right in the face. They lost me totally AGAIN when after teasing the stomp forever and a day (this match was actually really good for Takeshita countering or avoiding offense) they had our Lad of Lard wait and wait and wait before Swerve hit it. And then they just kicked out, got up and reset! That was actually preferable to getting a three off it, at least to me, but still. 

Ignored the tags, first one because Bucks (nice mustard suit) second one because I was looking for a record that I had a hard time finding. Women's match was good for getting a lot of people on the show, but it suffered from the pains of all multi-persons in AEW, with egregious laying on the floor and egregious finisher/pin breakup/finisher/repeat action. Dustin called his matches this year "all bangers" and I just thought of Phil immediately haha. His "what's that smell" face and "IT'S MY MUSTACHE IT'S GOT ITS OWN MUSK" cracked me up 😄 So did Mankiewicz showing up again! So, not all was lost. 

Side note, and this is some board drama so if you don't want to read, you don't have to:  

Spoiler

I got called out for "thread hijacking" by a certain member who shall remain unnamed. I probably shouldn't give this the time of day but I have a purpose.

In his rant he ended up unloading on me for apparently writing about the women on shows in these threads in a creepy, "misogynist" fashion, bringing up Skye Blue's ass or whatever too much. First off, I am no misogynist and the accusation sickens me. I have friends that I've supported through some harrowing shit that would like to have a word with anyone accusing me of that. Second, I don't think I've gone over any line and I've certainly had no complaint from anyone else. To everyone reading this: If you do feel uncomfortable with anything I write, please tell me. I will change my tone accordingly. Nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable reading anything on here or like this is some sleaze-pit. I do make remarks about body parts and people's wardrobes, but I consider this to be adult conversation and rendered tastefully. If you disagree, then tell me to shut the fuck up, and I will. (Unless you're a jerk who thinks I ruin everything by talking about music too much or asking too many questions or just posting too much period. You can go to hell.) 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Good show, but why were the Montreal fans chanting "Swerve's house"? Shouldn't it have been "Chez Swerve"?

Several times it sounded like they just started chanting "Ko-ba-shi" to me. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Weirdly enough the Young Bucks have an uncanny ability to make Private Party seem important. I struggle to say this without grinding my teeth, but any haters and habitual fast-forwarders should keep an eye on what they're doing under their new gimmick.

The Bucks did a match with no superkicks, I really noticed that!

Shibata/Ospreay felt a bit like Shibata was cosplaying Minoru Suzuki, but with more athleticism and grappling skill.  Not a horrible thing, but not what I'd want out of Shibata, though I got a bit of what I wanted out of Shibata to start.  I enjoyed Pure Rules ROH Shibata more.

Swerve/Soup was awesome!

Liked the women's 4-way, and glad Willow won.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 2

I really, really liked the beans-on-toast first half of Shibata/Ospreay and wish it hadn't turned into an AEW match midway through.

The house style is really starting to wear on me

• Like 2

That fucking ruled. It’s so crazy. WWE is killing it on stories and in ring segments and backstage stuff and AEW is killing it doing more of a sports style booking and more matches. That’s not to say that WWE’s matches are bad, I don’t care much for the tv style, or that AEW’s stories are poor, but they definitely need more planning and cohesiveness, but it makes for an excellent week of wrestling tv.

I swear, Takeshita looks like he murders everyone he faces. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I swear, Takeshita looks like he murders everyone he faces. 

This is why even if the matches have no consequence or whatever, I still enjoy them, and him. It's impossible for me to dislike someone who just gets in the ring and pastes people like that. 

• Like 3

The crowd seemed to be pretty hot/warm for being a crowd in a market with a lot of people who don’t speak English, so they did a pretty solid job with Quebec City than they did with places like suburban Salt Lake City

• Like 1

Enjoyed all the matches even with all having mostly obvious outcomes. Ospreay/Shibata was a fun exciting opener. Thought Private Party had their best showing since returning here. I think I liked the women's 4 way the best, that was a blast and Skye looked awesome throughout. Swerve/Takeshita felt pretty epic by the end of it. 

• Like 2