DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/27 - 4/2/2024 - Sit Tight, Take Hold... Thunder Rosa

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

When she's finally cleared(?) and able to lace up the boots for a bout I'm pretty confident this shitflinging will subside. 

There's some fans who will still hate on her because she left their precious WWE and then there's other fans who will hate on her because she's "WWE.."  but when she starts to wrestle she will likely win some people over with her ring work. 

Cole's stable is the worst stable quite possibly in AEW's short history.  They do nothing and have accomplished nothing and there's no direction for them at all. It doesn't help that the only guy who was interesting was Roddy and they pretty much took away what was working for him.  Roddy yelling at people was actually funny. 

Also, nobody gives a shit that O'Reilly is back...  I like him but it's a hard sell.  Another guy who needs to be in a captivating story line because by himself he's incredibly boring. 

• Like 1

Kyle O'Reilly could be a huge babyface, if they just talk about his actual life story. He has Type 1 Diabetes. It's a lot he had to overcome to just have one wrestling match in his life, let alone a two decade career.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I haven't missed the MJF/Cole stuff on TV at all... either guy individually (though we've seen Cole), the angle, any of it. Until you guys brought it up I forgot about it. Probably says a lot about my interests specifically but if anyone else has moved along too, perhaps they should as well. 

Honestly, dude, I was gonna say similar, but didn't want to hurt the feelings of anyone still holding out for a blowoff - that's why I opened my last thing with "If this *has* to be done..."

Yes, they sold some shirts, and held down the fort at a very tumultuous time for the upper card/main scene, but I have zero desire to go back to it.

I'd posit that if TUK didn't have such a heavy TV presence currently, most of the rest of us probably would've forgotten about it too.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Cole's stable is the worst stable quite possibly in AEW's short history.  They do nothing and have accomplished nothing and there's no direction for them at all. It doesn't help that the only guy who was interesting was Roddy and they pretty much took away what was working for him.  Roddy yelling at people was actually funny. 

I agree on the lack of direction of the Undisputed Kingdom. It's quite remarkable. 

Also, nobody gives a shit that O'Reilly is back...  I like him but it's a hard sell.  Another guy who needs to be in a captivating story line because by himself he's incredibly boring. 

Easy! Maybe I'm alone, but I give a shit about Kyle O'Reilly. I think he's really talented. I'm into this low key story of Kyle wanting to see if he can still hang after the mounting injuries. It seems clear the direction is a feud with Roddy which I totally look forward to.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

In a perfect world, if this MJF/Cole thing *absolutely* has to be paid off,

It absolutely does. Depending on whether MJF comes back cooled off or his absence makes the audience's hearts grow fonder, they can modify how much TV time it gets and how long it takes. But just dropping it completely would be terrible writing.

I would have MJF terrorize Cole and TUK to the point that the audience actually begins to feel a bit badly for Cole, and there's a de-facto double-turn. Like, ruin the dude's life. Home invasion during a Chugs stream, show up at the dentist's office and beat up DMD's boss, the whole nine.

I don't know if this would effect a double turn, though. I mean, Swerve did shit like that to Hangman and came out of that feud a bigger face than Hanger. So I'm not convinced it would suffice to turn MJF back heel.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

don't if this would effect a double turn, though. I mean, Swerve did shit like that to Hangman and came out of that feud a bigger face than Hanger. So I'm not convinced it would suffice to turn MJF back heel.

That's a great point. I was thinking of like, Undertaker going down to OVW in '02 to beat up David Flair in the lead-up to Mania that year, but forgetting that he was already a heel - that's my bad.

You may very well be correct that it could garner a babyface anti-hero reaction (in which case, I suppose mission accomplished if they wanna keep him babyface and stay the course?)

In re-framing my post through your lens I do kinda now realize that some of the 'heel terrorizing' I was referring to could have just as easily been rebellious-babyface-stuff ripped from something like the Austin/Vince story in the '90s - so you're on the money.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

Honestly, dude, I was gonna say similar, but didn't want to hurt the feelings of anyone still holding out for a blowoff - that's why I opened my last thing with "If this *has* to be done..."

I think a nice MJF vs Adam Cole blood feud would be a perfectly fine upper mid-card special attraction showcase feud, similar to Hangman vs Moxley last year.

The main event scene and AEW title doesn't need to revolve around it.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

I think a nice MJF vs Adam Cole blood feud would be a perfectly fine upper mid-card special attraction showcase feud, similar to Hangman vs Moxley last year.

The main event scene and AEW title doesn't need to revolve around it.

Completely agree on the second point re: the title, and I *also* think a blood feud between the two would be great!

I just think it's not gonna be as good as it could've been if their alignments were swapped - it's nothing against MJF at all, I think he did the best he could with what he was given during his reign (cue a second Hangman comparison) - I just simply grew tired of him as a babyface. Doing Hogan's shit at Wembley was the shark jumper for me with that, I think.

Similarly, while I enjoy Cole as a heel more than I enjoy MJF as a babyface, I'm a little tired of him as a heel too, I think because so much of his current act is already-treaded-ground from NXT. And really, the Devil stuff sucked. It just did. The quicker they can move on from that, the better IMO.

But dude, if they could find a way to make it happen in the inverse - like If MJF gets the Kingdom to fuck on Cole, and says 'they were working for me all along' or some other Russo-retcon-type shit? Hell yeah, I'm in.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's some fans who will still hate on her because she left their precious WWE and then there's other fans who will hate on her because she's "WWE.."  but when she starts to wrestle she will likely win some people over with her ring work. 

I'm sure, but here's the thing: her theme sounds like someone else's in a different company at the start and then has a forced chant element. The presentation is all off from the moment she walks out. It's late-era Luger in WWF vibes.

I WANT her to succeed and be the big deal Saraya never really became but we're several examples in and the postmatch staredowns on Dynamite made Mercedes feel like someone who'd crashed a party and not in a fun way. She shouldn't be the vestigial part of a program but that's how she's presented, just taking up the Jade Cargill aesthetic.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I'm sure, but here's the thing: her theme sounds like someone else's in a different company at the start and then has a forced chant element. The presentation is all off from the moment she walks out. It's late-era Luger in WWF vibes.

I don't think anyone should be talking in absolutes about the theme because I've heard everything from what you're saying to it being "brilliant" because it conditions fans to want to chant her new moniker and I don't think either side is wrong about it.  

What I think is wild is how people are already writing this off as "going nowhere" when it's three weeks in and she hasn't wrestled a single match.  That's what hate looks like. 

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Holy shit, I agree with you. The problem with Kyle o Reilly is that he’s never been interesting a day in his life. He’s a talented worker, but he’s not in the upper echelon of AEW. There’s nothing you can get from KOR or any of his UE buddies that you can’t get from a dozen or more other guys on the roster. The insistence that adam Cole is a guy that this company needs to orbit around remains baffling to me, and Matt Taven and Mike Bennett getting tv time weekly when Ricky Starks and Big Bill don’t is mystifying…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

The insistence that adam Cole is a guy that this company needs to orbit around remains baffling to me, and Matt Taven and Mike Bennett getting tv time weekly when Ricky Starks and Big Bill don’t is mystifying…

I don't know if Tony operates this way but they likely overpaid for Adam Cole to pry him away from WWE and with him being one of the first big free agent signings, he might still feel that he's supposed to be one of THE guys in the company.  The ROI on that signing right now is at 'The Marvels' or 'The Flash' level.  

As for Ricky Starks, I argued about how they should be pushing him more for years but I think at this point Tony probably feels Starks is waiting to jump ship so he's stuck in no man's land. 

• Like 1

First off, the worst stable in AEW history was and will always be the Nightmare Collective. Never forget that it had Brandi in her goth phase, a broken down Awesome Kong, a worthless Luther, and someone who was decent to good on the indies but totally froze when it came to national TV in Melanie Cruise.

I’m not prepared to write off the Mercedes stuff yet, unlike a lot of people. They’re clearly building towards something, so I’ll let it simmer. But if she doesn’t wrestle at Dynasty, it’ll feel really weird. Also, does Gunther even use Symphony No. 9 or whatever anymore? I only watch WWE for Punk, so I’m not sure. Either way, does it matter?

And as for Ricky Starks.. well, I’m just gonna say it. He kinda sucks.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I’m not prepared to write off the Mercedes stuff yet, unlike a lot of people. They’re clearly building towards something, so I’ll let it simmer. But if she doesn’t wrestle at Dynasty, it’ll feel really weird. Also, does Gunther even use Symphony No. 9 or whatever anymore? I only watch WWE for Punk, so I’m not sure. Either way, does it matter?

He uses the intro and it transitions into an original track so they start the same. Does it matter? Only if there going to be confusion in the marketplace between Gunther and Mercedes

Why do we need Dustin Rhodes, whose only storyline is to pop up every 7-10 weeks and say “I’m old but I still love rasslin,” getting 12 meaningless minutes on TV?  They’re never doing anything else with him.  Maybe let one of your younger, more talented JTTS guys like Kommander or Bryan Keith get a TV win and invest in your future a bit.  Jesus fuck.  What does Dustin on TV do for anyone?

• Like 2

This time? Probably to remind the people who are fantasy booking Dustin to help Cody at WrestleMania that he’s under contract to AEW, and allowing him to appear does nothing for AEW.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ricky in my eyes died in that promo segment with Edge where he got absolutely brothered and his comebacks were...not great.

• Like 1

I see they booked Hobbs vs. Ospreay for the Worcester show.  That's going to be a very good match but I do think Khan needs to start protecting Hobbs and Takeshita.  He doesn't protect the big guys too well and like it or not those are the guys who look like stars.  I'm not one of these "everyone needs to be 6'5" and 275 lbs" type of people but when you see Hobbs and Takeshita and see what they are capable of in the ring, it's madness not to protect them. 

• Like 4

I think Takeshita is fine. It’s mostly evenly split with the Jericho/Omega stuff, but to have singles (and tag) wins over both inside a few months - and two of his Omega victories were within the same week - I’d argue he’s doing just fine. He’s still presented as being a a crown jewel for Callis, and that’ll only being bolstered once Ospreay officially leaves the group.

Hobbs has been drowning for years now, though. 

• Like 3