DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

40 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

still a shame that Sabu bounced out of WCW so quickly in 1995 that we never got a Sabu vs Macho Man Randy Savage 4 minute TV match (Sheik was one of the first promoters to use Randy, so you know he would have worked with Sabu at least once)

Considering how he was so eager to work with Liger around that same time. That definitely would have happened and it would have caused the other bigger wrestlers not to be shy about wanting to work with him because of the size difference.  In WWF you have everyone but Bret and Kid not wanting to sell for Hakushi and it really sabatoged his run. With Sabu , the hardcore style could help or hurt him with some people but if Savage was to work with him he'd be having Hogan wanting to squash him in 5 mins lol

2 hours ago, caley said:

Vince Russo is the answer.

WCW brought Awesome in and, suddenly, the guy who looked like such a monster in ECW, didn't look so big next to guys like Nash or even Hogan. Couple that with his dreadful promos, instead of pushing him as a monster, they pivoted and made him 'That 70s Guy' because he had a mullet. I mean, the easier thing to do would be to pair him with smaller wrestlers and give him a mouthpiece but that wasn't Russo's style. Then he became the "Fat Chick Thriller" so that Russo could script segments with obese women. Seeing as all that stuff basically buried Awesome as a comedy-level guy, they needed to rehab him and Lance Storm's Team Canada group (That had almost NO Canadian wrestlers, outside of PCO who was only around for a show or due to some sort of visa reasons) was pretty hot, so they added Awesome to the group in a hilariously ill-designed turn where Awesome turned around to reveal the Canadian flag on his tights but instead just looked like he was pointing at his asshole.

He largely went back to being Mike Awesome once he was back in Storm's group but I honestly can't recall a single good match in his time in WCW. His ECW style wasn't really transferable to WCW (IIRC one of the few times he did that brutal Awesome Bomb over the ropes through a table, Vampire ended up with a concussion) and, really, the only matches through the Russo/Bischoff era that are memorable are weird anomalies like the Funk-Candido brawl that ended  up with Funk getting kicked by a horse or the Goldberg-Steiner match which is overbooked to hell but largely memorable because both guys seemingly repeatedly forget that it's not a real fight and beat the life out of each other.

They should have done the one thing always guaranteed to get Awesome over: bring in Masato Tanaka for a night and let them kill each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Sabu was in WCW for a while. They had the actually  good idea of having him wrestle Jerry Lynn, who designed a masked gimmick for his run. But he didn't have a name for it right away. He was making suggestions like The Phantasm or whatever, but then Dusty said "Fuck it, we'll call him Mr JL".

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvknux

Oh, I was referring to the 2000-signing (that was actually on WCW's website IIRC) before Heyman quashed it by saying he was under contract to WCW that effectively ended his impending WCW tenure before it started, as well as his ECW tenure (I remember Lance Storm and Justin Credible beating up someone backstage and Storm saying something like "That's one more foreigner out of this company" which was seen as a thinly-veiled, slightly obscure (I mean, he was billed as being from Bombay...Michigan) and final reference to Sabu!).

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

WWE were actually stupid enough to try and make Sabu talk, to which he responded by tearing up their script and getting fired.

Who would have thought Sandman would have a better run in WWE in 07 than Sabu.

Sandman was actually a serviceable worker at least by his standards 

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Considering how he was so eager to work with Liger around that same time. That definitely would have happened and it would have caused the other bigger wrestlers not to be shy about wanting to work with him because of the size difference.  In WWF you have everyone but Bret and Kid not wanting to sell for Hakushi and it really sabatoged his run. With Sabu , the hardcore style could help or hurt him with some people but if Savage was to work with him he'd be having Hogan wanting to squash him in 5 mins lol

A Hogan/Sabu match would have been the weirdest thing ever. 

Take your vitamins and say your prayers Hulk Hogan vs tattooed heavy metal maniac Brody King.

Plus you know Brody would bump like a freak for Hulk's comeback.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Octopus said:

You have a time machine and Vince is horny for some Hulkamania. Who would have been good monster feuds for 80’s Hogan to vanquish?

My immediate thoughts: Lance Archer, Powerhouse Hobbs, Jeff Cobb, Brody King, Jacob Fatu, Keith Lee, Toa Liona, JD Drake, Bear Boulder, Jonah...

That's 10. Gimme a sec. I'll come up with a few more, make a top 20 or something

WALTER. Him and Archer would be my top 2.

Also Dutch, Nicky Boy, Hikuleo. 

Trying to think of dudes who could legit make Hogan sympathetic but also as Zimbra says, bump like maniacs for the big comeback.

Oh! Otis!

If we can also bring opponents from the past then Don Leo Jonathan

Hama. 

Still need 3 more. Back to the past! Strong Man. Bruiser Brody. (Sorry, Matt) and 

CRUSHER BLACKWELL 

EDIT: I can see Technico's point (below) that a lot of those guys aren't tall by 80s standards, but: Orndorff and Sheiky Baby were only 6'0" , Piper 6'2"

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

You have a time machine and Vince is horny for some Hulkamania. Who would have been good monster feuds for 80’s Hogan to vanquish?

I'd target THAT Nathan Jones who had that strangely good match with Scott Steiner on that WWA PPV, as well as trying to pinpoint the healthiest and buffest Big Poppa Pump and snatch him while I'm at it and have those two terrorize Hogan as a tandem for a half a year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

My immediate thoughts: Lance Archer, Powerhouse Hobbs, Jeff Cobb, Brody King, Jacob Fatu, Keith Lee, Toa Liona, JD Drake, Bear Boulder, Jonah...

That's 10. Gimme a sec. I'll come up with a few more, make a top 20 or something

Also Dutch, Nicky Boy, Hikuleo. 

Trying to think of dudes who could legit make Hogan sympathetic but also as Zimbra says, bump like maniacs for the big comeback.

Oh! Otis!

If we can also bring opponents from the past then Don Leo Jonathan

Hama. 

Still need 3 more. Back to the past! Strong Man. Bruiser Brody. (Sorry, Matt) and 

CRUSHER BLACKWELL 

Brock can bump and sell when he wants to

• Like 1

@Gordi the former AEW fan's list is my list, straight up. No notes. That said, I think (for obvious, and correct reasons) we're all thinking monster-of-the-month with it - to mix it up, what about guys who could give him something like a less comical version of the Shawn match at SummerSlam that one year? There was a lot of Bucks debating in the AEW TV thread this week, I think either of those guys would've been great Hogan pinballs. And along those lines, you certainly can't say pinball without Darby. Here's one for @The Natural: how about Danielson vs Hogan with Danielson being a smaller, meaner Stan Hansen?

Edit: He's obviously a racist dog, but the kid in me is a little bummed we didn't get a 'Hulk Hogan: Deathmatch Worker' run

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

random: currently imagining the music video of Gunther chopping people set to "Der Kommissar" by After The Fire

Speaking of time machines, I can absolutely see this video in early 80s WWF! 

11 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Ugh…AXS is no longer on Verizon Fios…no more NJPW for me 😞

I take it you also have Fios Internet?  Why not drop linear cable TV and use something like Sling; $40/month and has AXS? 

A lot of these guys we're saying would be great time traveling monsters for Hogan are big by today's standards but are too short by 1987 standards.  Brody King is only 6'3" Jacob Fatu is two inches shorter.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

Keith Lee seems too naturally likeable to be a Hogan monster to me. They could try to roll in elements of Lanny Poffo's "Genius" gimmick, I suppose, but I'm not sure he could be smarmy enough.

7 hours ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

WALTER would be my #1 from current day. I also second the suggestion of Giant Gonzalez, although the matches would absolutely stink from a technical perspective.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Truth's a treasure.

I totally missed Truth photobombing that until you said this 😆

The "Brody in WWF" what-if is still interesting to me. He obviously would have butted heads with Vince and left, but when and how and over what is the question. The answers are probably "soon", "no-show" and "money", but it'd be interesting where Vince would put him. Monster-of-the-Week probably wouldn't even be what he'd want to do or agree to.

• Like 4