DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

417557276_697931142464872_24404848070393

"This picture dates back to the summer of 1995.

I’m holding the UFC Championship and the NWA World Title. Sabu is holding the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship and propably the NWA Independent World Title. Sabu is the only person to ever hold that title."-Dan Severn

• Like 4

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

Did Ted Turner have the power to do that? I thought he lost that ability to dictate programing post-merger

What stations did Turner have in 2004? I think he was only on the Board of Directors for AOL/Time Warner at the time. 

5 hours ago, Octopus said:

Which is the best Funks vs Abdullah and the Sheik match? 

It's a tossup between RWTL (Real World Tag League) finals: '77 and '79

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_veOBiaK14&ab_channel=ClassicsPuro83 '77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5wtCuzOg4&ab_channel=ClassicsPuro83 '79

But there are apparently some '78 matches I need to watch now just to make sure. Thanks!

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

What stations did Turner have in 2004? I think he was only on the Board of Directors for AOL/Time Warner at the time. 

Turner Broadcasting still had a WTBS that didn't air the same programming as TBS. Turner South aired some wrestling archival stuff in 2001 too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Currently thinking about a world where TNA rebrands as Turner Nonstop Action in 2005 post-FSN/pre-Spike in order to get on a Ted network.

Barnett as in Jim Barnett who turned 80 in 2004, had severe health issues and died in that year?

22 hours ago, zendragon said:

I’m holding the UFC Championship and the NWA World Title. Sabu is holding the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship and propably the NWA Independent World Title. Sabu is the only person to ever hold that title."-Dan Severn

I'm pretty sure the "NWA Independent World Title" was a vanity belt that was only defended on shows promoted by Sabu in Michigan/Ohio around 94/95. Those were the shows that were colloquially known on tape lists for many years listed under the banner of "NWA Sabu" though I'm guessing local promotion probably just listed them as "NWA Wrestling"

LOL, even Cagematch lists the shows during this time under the promotional banner of "National Wrestling Alliance Sabu"

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=356&page=4

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Robert S said:

Barnett as in Jim Barnett who turned 80 in 2004, had severe health issues and died in that year?

Maybe it was Bob Barnett?

Whatever happened to Bob Barnett??

51 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Maybe it was Bob Barnett?

Whatever happened to Bob Barnett??

Hell, it could Josh Barnett before his Bloodsports endeavour, trying to get his feet wet in the business in his early tweens, then going to MMA when it didn't pan out...yet.

• Haha 1

Ah, you think Xitter has a wealth of ads that they can target you because they're attracting lots of ad business. Oh, you sweet summer child.

A little late to the Brody discussion. Surprised to see the push back to it. By no means am I 100% certain it would have happened. But it's more than plausible to me. Are two super violent big vikings coming in as team like Bruiser Brody & Berserker Nord (in a more serious presentation) not a logical improvement over a fake cop & a white man pretending to be an African man? I definitely could see them slotted in the Mega Powers feud slot.

The Bad News Brown slot could have been him as mentioned before, but also wouldn't he have been a good fit for Tthe Earthquake feud? Instead of large fat man sitting on him (which was basically a singles redux of The Twin Towers stuff) it could've been mean violent viking man stabbing him or something. Just squashing dudes leading to that big Summerslm payday when Hogan comes back. Doing the same table non-finish to get more house show business in.

Seems like there's a lot of opportunities for him to be an upgrade over what we had in that era. It's just that it's so ingrained in our nostalgia brains that it's hard to fully wrap our heads around it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Berserker Nord (in a more serious presentation)

Hence, the pushback. I think it was trying to do the googly eyes that did him in.

No, I get it. I would have loved to seen Brody come in. There are several programs you could have insert him in after what would have been his passing. Also, you would start seeing a crazy amount of turnover every year so each year there is a fresh new crop of talent.

I think my issues come down to Brody not being there before July 1988 and likely chose to squeeze out all the money out of what was left of the territories beforehand like other folks did. in addition, there is no guarantee that Brody doesn't get the treatment that Nord did or some bizarre gimmick that he ultimately turns down. You cannot assume he comes in as Bruiser Brody as we know and love. What's stopping Vince from making him like Giant Gonzalez and putting him a bodysuit with hair on it? Nothing. Let's say Brody tried to come in not in the 80s but like 90/91. He'd be old, but the standard of working in that time he could still get away with his style. They saddle Brody in some stupid gimmick and then they try to put him with Hulk Hogan when Hulkamania was starting to circle the drain. I don't see anything in my mind that works in that time period that wouldn't have worked better in five to eight years earlier when Brody was IRL alive and didn't work with Hogan. 

Remember when they tried to bring in Joe LeDuc, a big territory star and damn near the same age as Brody? He had probably the most forgettable WWF run of all time for a guy of his stature. Since you couldn't bleed buckets every night and Vince wasn't going to allow anyone to use weapons, he stunk the joint out. 

The Brody variable is fine especially if he's willing to do business, but it being the WWF in the late 80s/early 90s ran by Vince McMahon is the variable you need to worry about.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You cannot assume he comes in as Bruiser Brody as we know and love. What's stopping Vince from making him like Giant Gonzalez and putting him a bodysuit with hair on it? Nothing. Let's say Brody tried to come in not in the 80s but like 90/91. He'd be old, but the standard of working in that time he could still get away with his style. They saddle Brody in some stupid gimmick and then they try to put him with Hulk Hogan when Hulkamania was starting to circle the drain. I don't see anything in my mind that works in that time period that wouldn't have worked better in five to eight years earlier when Brody was IRL alive and didn't work with Hogan.

See this is why I think he gets Bushwhackered or close to it, because that's exactly what happed with the Bushwhackers. Blood-soaked brawling team for two decades? No, you're a kid-friendly team that boops each other's noses. HEYYYYYY WHOAAAAAA

Not like that's a bad thing, they had a long run that extended their career, and I think him and Nord as a Viking-based spin on that would be fine. But the WWF of 1989/1990 isn't bringing in anyone to stab someone with a sword and do violent brawls, especially not with Hulk Hogan. That's just out of the question.

• Like 1

You can’t really compare Brody with LeDuc, Brody was a superstar with a presence only a few in the business ever had and could work. LeDuc was a star in some territories, had a crazy look and promos to go with it but was average to way below average in the ring, plus didn’t he have drug issues. 

Timeline wise I can see Brody coming in from July 1989 to around May of 1990, taking Mr. Perfect’s spot in house show main events for December to March, basically another version of Hulk vs. a monster like his runs with Kamala and Killer Kahn. Brody’s vignettes would start in July, he debuts at SummerSlam squashing someone like Tito Santana, maybe a house show run in the fall against Snuka, run some sort of angle with Hogan before Survivor Series for the markets who are getting the first of their house show matches, do another angle with them right after Survivor Series for the national audience, then their house show run goes from December 1989 to March 1990. After WM not sure what they’d do, was SWS going at that point? Would Brody work for them then maybe come back in the Summer to work some more house show mains with Hogan?

• Like 1