DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

15 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Those TV reality shows that were on before they were called reality shows were the best tbh. Better than anything that ever came after.

The MTV True Life’s were almost always interesting and good, but the “I’ll gut you” guy from the Wedding one was most likely the genesis of Jersey Shore. 

• Haha 2

The best True Life was The Travelers. It introduced me to Tom Waits, train hopping, squatter culture, pill abuse and severe alcoholism... so a couple things. In fact those last three might just be the same thing. It was also funny as shit and beautifully sad in its way. The main folks documented in it were wearing Bathory and Hellhammer (and Dimmu Borgir, ugh) shirts so I was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS and was pretty mind-blown by it all. You can find it in a couple parts on Youtube. 

EDIT: Here's part 1, you can go from there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPf6ghoB1no&pp=ygUedHJ1ZSBsaWZlIHRoZSB0cmF2ZWxlcnMgcGFydCAx

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ha!  You can kinda see me in the background during Paperboy's match. I was just breaking into the business, and the veteran that took me under his wing worked this show, so I tagged along and helped out putting up the ring and such. I think there were 20 paid fans at that show...

All the publicity that Les got from this and the Pillman shows filled the school up, so I never worked HWA until much later...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The best True Life was The Travelers. It introduced me to Tom Waits, train hopping, squatter culture, pill abuse and severe alcoholism... so a couple things. In fact those last three might just be the same thing. It was also funny as shit and beautifully sad in its way. The main folks documented in it were wearing Bathory and Hellhammer (and Dimmu Borgir, ugh) shirts so I was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS and was pretty mind-blown by it all. You can find it in a couple parts on Youtube. 

EDIT: Here's part 1, you can go from there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPf6ghoB1no&pp=ygUedHJ1ZSBsaWZlIHRoZSB0cmF2ZWxlcnMgcGFydCAx

I completely understand the fun and beauty that you speak of in situations like that, and that’s what made that show and the others great. The most true to life parts were those parts. They were like the Jed Clampett bum from 1 of the best Andy Griffith episodes. He laughed and was beautiful somehow, and you understood him perfectly. I want to use another example citing Robert Clampett but I better not lol!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mister TV said:

The MTV True Life’s were almost always interesting and good, but the “I’ll gut you” guy from the Wedding one was most likely the genesis of Jersey Shore. 

I think I’m getting a shore house with Tommy The Guido was the genesis of that

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That fucking show went on until 2017.

Anyway, there's one based on backyard wrestling too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA9GDMBCTFg&ab_channel=BackyardWrestlingCentral

I'm assuming this is after Mick Foley's appearance on I think 20/20 where he was shown backyard footage and said it wasn't that bad, the negative press pushed the WWE into the "Don't Try This at Home" stuff.

18 years ago tonight one of the strangest moments on live TV as Edge celebrates winning the WWE Title by having "sex" with Lita in the middle of the ring. 

Edge won the title at New Year’s Revolution the night before when he cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase and beat John Cena for the title. It was strange and awkward to witness the fan's reaction in the building but It was one of the highest rated segments in Raw history.

Happy Anniversary to the live sex Raw

I sincerely hope they make changes to production.  I don’t watch WWE anymore that often at all, but I did try to check out the 2023 Rumble and tapped out after counting 35 camera cuts during one short sequence.

• Like 9

On 1/8/2024 at 10:00 PM, SovietShooter said:

You can kinda see me in the background during Paperboy's match. I was just breaking into the business, and the veteran that took me under his wing worked this show, so I tagged along and helped out putting up the ring and such. I think there were 20 paid fans at that show...

All the publicity that Les got from this and the Pillman shows filled the school up, so I never worked HWA until much later...

Nikita!! Holy shit, man - I remember you from (I believe) Slam fans I want to say? Hope all is well!!

15 hours ago, Infinit said:

Raw to Amazon?

It opens doors for sure, but I can see them losing alot of their more less tech savvy viewers, especially the older ones.

Agreed. This isn't meant to be a knock on WWE, but I do seem to recall reading that their audience does skew older than one would expect - I'm really, really curious to see how many follow the show. Prime *is* fairly ubiquitous, but at the same time, look how many people dropped off when the show originally moved from USA to TNN and never came back - I think you're on to something with this post.

I think we can all agree that the funniest outcome, by far, would be WBD moving Collision to Mondays on MAX. Monday Night Streaming Wars!!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have Amazon Prime and I couldn't be bothered to switch the HDMI to watch Raw if I had to. 

It's a dedicated button on most remotes these days.  If you can find The Boys, or any of the infinite movies they have, you can find Raw.

The NFL does fine on Prime, the WWE should be okay too. 

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's a dedicated button on most remotes these days.  If you can find The Boys, or any of the infinite movies they have, you can find Raw.

The NFL does fine on Prime, the WWE should be okay too. 

Didn't think about that; our front room TV has one. Mine in the bedroom requires some fiddling -- separate remote, HDMI changes, switching out the Chromecast for the Firestick -- since it isn't the main connection. So that's where I was coming from. Our internet connection on the TVs (which Prime is dependent on, along with any On Demand, Dish landscapes, etc.) keeps going out and requires resetting too which is a pain because I can't do it from back here (of course). 

Considering the Tweet you posted: WHO? MIKE JONES. WHO? MIKE JONES. (281) 330-8004 MIKE JONES. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed. This isn't meant to be a knock on WWE, but I do seem to recall reading that their audience does skew older than one would expect - I'm really, really curious to see how many follow the show. Prime *is* fairly ubiquitous, but at the same time, look how many people dropped off when the show originally moved from USA to TNN and never came back - I think you're on to something with this post.

I think we can all agree that the funniest outcome, by far, would be WBD moving Collision to Mondays on MAX. Monday Night Streaming Wars!!

That was also 23 years ago, when viewing habits were much different. If my father, who is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and calls me almost weekly to figure out some tech thing for him (setting up Apple Music for him was an ADVENTURE), and once called me to yell at me for not visiting him enough as I was literally sitting across from him, can figure out how to set up a Roku to watch his football games by himself, I'm pretty sure people who are dedicated enough to want to watch a show will find a way.

• Like 3