DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know, Corbin would probably make a good Von Raschke, if they gave him fake ears. Actually, I dunno, it may mean more prosthetics than that... body-wise too... hell, who DOES look like him? 

That Lars Sullivan dude could've maybe pulled it off if not for the other general awfulness

• Like 1

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

This company looks like a sinking ship right now.  Nothing going right. 

Except for the C2 being universally enjoyed, being #1 in cable on Weds, a great looking ROH PPV tonight, and awesome sales #s for Revolution and All In. Plus Ospreay won’t even debut for a few weeks.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Except for the C2 being universally enjoyed, being #1 in cable on Weds, a great looking ROH PPV tonight, and awesome sales #s for Revolution and All In. Plus Ospreay won’t even debut for a few weeks.

That's all good but they've lost three of their biggest stars to WWE,  they've lost others to injury,  their ratings on Saturday nights have plummeted,  their ticket sales for Collision/Dynamite have been very weak, they are still losing money and now there's rumors that they might not be staying on WBD.   

They really need a big TV rights increase next year.  Their immediate future is dependent on that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They really need a big TV rights increase next year.  Their immediate future is dependent on that. 

I'm not really sure what basis there is for believing that. Tony Khan is going to be just fine.

I'm not going to pretend that I really love AEW right now, and WWE definitely got some wins. But nothing is forever. In a few months, Cody completes his story and the ppl remember that he's actually kind of annoying, and who knows what Roman Reigns will really do when he loses the belt? Rhea is over af but they don't really have any good way to book her, CM Punk.....will likely remain a decent special attraction, but the shine comes off in time, Gunther's run....also will end, and then what?

Not trying to be down on WWE, just pointing out that these things change over time. Strickland is going to work out as a main-eventer, Mox is still Mox, Ospreay is coming in, Hangman seems to be getting over again....I mean there are things I would do differently in AEW, but I think there's still a strong groundwork for the next 2-3 years bing built. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I can't tell if that last bit was meant to imply that things would get even better in a few weeks, or if you were listing Ospreay's current absence as another example of something gone right.

• Haha 5

But for the sake of adding some more intelligence because others already did a good job of pointing out why it’s not a sinking ship, Kenny has been a non factor for months now. He can barely wrestle singles matches and has been in a mid card feud basically since returning from injury. That feud was elevated to some main event matches, but this has not been his show since dropping the title.

Same thing with the Bucks. They’ve basically done nothing for what feels like forever because they’re both fucked up and the mini feud with FTR was half baked.

All three of them are non factors. The company is carried by other wrestlers now. That’s why I said a few days ago that in hindsight, it probably would have been better to just let Kenny, the Bucks, and Jericho all walk and stick with Punk. The only problem with that is the incident at Wembley.

• Like 3