DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

27 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I

Abadon does nothing for me but makes the board and the internet happy without bothering me so enjoy their push y’all.

This isn't in reference to this board, but i feel like more wrestling fans need to take this mentality.  Not everything is for your taste, just the way something you love might not be for anyone else.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I believe it was during Bret's never ending feud with Isaac Yankem.

I didn't know he could do it on cue, but it did seem like an old timey parlor trick.

It was something like "all I have to do is pick my nose from this certain spot and it will start to bleed,"

Also, from what Lawler tells, Vince wasn't aware of this skill at the time and was concerned once he noticed it, thinking that Jerry is that afraid of heights and started calming him down on commentary. If that is true or not, I don't know, but they did show a clip of the commentary where Vince was standing up at the desk and saying "You're going to be alright" to Jerry.

Edited by Shartnado
The Vince story
  • Like 1

AEW is running Dynamite in Quebec City in March which will be interesting for at least one reason

Languages, Montreal vs Quebec City

• Montreal: English and French 59%, French only 27%, English only 12%, neither English or French 2%. 63% list French as their mother tongue.
  • Quebec City: French only 57%, French and English 43%, English only 0.4%, neither English or French 0.4%. 91% list French as their mother tongue.

(percentages from the 2021 Canadian Census)

So... if you're a French speaker working for AEW in March, you might be very useful.

If there's a lack of French on the AEW roster by then, Jon Moxley will become French for the purposes of Quebec City. Jean Mox-lee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

This isn't in reference to this board, but i feel like more wrestling fans need to take this mentality.  Not everything is for your taste, just the way something you love might not be for anyone else.

Nah, that sounds like bullshit. 

Kidding. I'm trying very hard not to bitch as much about stuff I don't like.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Nah, that sounds like bullshit. 

Kidding. I'm trying very hard not to bitch as much about stuff I don't like.

Same here.  I was very much on the straight douchebag train about Punk, and while I still would rather watch paint dry than him wrestle(for the most part), im happy for his fans who get to see him in WWE.

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Shartnado said:

It was something like "all I have to do is pick my nose from this certain spot and it will start to bleed,"

Also, from what Lawler tells, Vince wasn't aware of this skill at the time and was concerned once he noticed it, thinking that Jerry is that afraid of heights and started calming him down on commentary. If that is true or not, I don't know, but they did show a clip of the commentary where Vince was standing up at the desk and saying "You're going to be alright" to Jerry.

I think the story was something like Lawler had broken his nose and could open up the scar tissue that way

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Far as I'm concerned they need to stay gone. They've gotten pretty old and pretty annoying out there and need to go away for awhile. 

I wish you were wrong. I like Bowens and Castor. I like Dad Ass in a non-wrestling role. That said, I don't think Assy is entirely to blame for their awful run as Trios Champions. 

Yeah, I can't remember an Acclaimed talk segment that wasn't one of the shittiest 1/4 hours of any broadcast the company has done in 2023. Still, I'm here for some sort of ideal bounce back even if I assume we're getting nothing more than rinse repeat 'comedy'.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Sad 1

In their last couple appearances it seemed to me they were kind of getting heelish reactions (along with some indifference). The best idea would probably for them to go back heel when they return and really lean on it. People would probably be expecting the happy-go-lucky nature and bite on it if they went in the other direction. You have to do it right though, I can see them doing it and it feeling half-cooked too. If they can be annoying they'd have to really get under people's skin. 

Herein lies the problem of having such a bloated roster. Lack of consistency with various angles. Guys appear then disappear for weeks.

Tony Khan signed way too many people than he has the time or capacity to book. Then he needs ROH to handle the runoff.

• Like 1

Bryan Danielson names his four favourite AEW matches:

Spoiler

Bryan Danielson vs. Jon Moxley. AEW Revolution 2022.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada. AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023.

Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks. AEW All Out 2023.

https://www.dazn.com/en-US/news/wrestling/bryan-danielson-names-his-four-favourite-aew-matches/k3edfphr97ef1merw1f1p9jid

The Natural's:

Spoiler

Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr. AEW WrestleDream 2023.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021.

Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite 2021.

Bryan Danielson vs. MJF. AEW Revolution 2023.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I wish you were wrong. I like Bowens and Castor. I like Dad Ass in a non-wrestling role. That said, I don't think Assy is entirely to blame for their awful run as Trios Champions. 

Yeah, I can't remember an Acclaimed talk segment that wasn't one of the shittiest 1/4 hours of any broadcast the company has done in 2023. Still, I'm here for some sort of ideal bounce back even if I assume we're getting nothing more than rinse repeat 'comedy'.

The Acclaimed's raps were hit or miss for me, but they were an act where I came for the comedy and stuck around when they started to get good in the ring. Their first match with Swerve and Lee where they almost won was a total MOTYC and a sign they'd crossed over to becoming legit good wrestlers. Ever since they aligned themselves with Billy Gunn and started doing the "Scissor Me" segments, they've regressed to being comedy workers again. A lot of their recent bits have been Attitude Era DX skit level of cringe. Someone upthread mentioned that they weren't into something, but glad it made the fanbase as a whole happy and hoped it continued. I get that their antics sell merch and are over with a demographic, but it makes them actively worse in my book.

• Like 4

Somebody really needs to make a bootleg DVR (or "private" website of streaming files) of the Best of Danielson in AEW. I've probably seen all those matches but I couldn't pick out the Page, the Moxley, the Omega... some of them run together because though they're all different they're all great and you forget about them because "well, it's another great Danielson match, what's next". Like if I had to make my own top four or even top three I couldn't do it. The goodness runs together! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Acclaimed's raps were hit or miss for me, but they were an act where I came for the comedy and stuck around when they started to get good in the ring. Their first match with Swerve and Lee where they almost won was a total MOTYC and a sign they'd crossed over to becoming legit good wrestlers. Ever since they aligned themselves with Billy Gunn and started doing the "Scissor Me" segments, they've regressed to being comedy workers again. A lot of their recent bits have been Attitude Era DX skit level of cringe. Someone upthread mentioned that they weren't into something, but glad it made the fanbase as a whole happy and hoped it continued. I get that their antics sell merch and are over with a demographic, but it makes them actively worse in my book.

I haven't looked back in on that Swerve/Lee bout, but Assy was already in the fold and a big part of their presentation. It was during that bout that the 'Oh Scissor Me Daddy' choir began. Not to take away from the solid work they all put in, but the heat of the Chicago crowd clearly made that match memorable. The rematch in Queens where Bowens/Castor captured the titles was no MOTYC nor was it particularly good. Castor in particular was incredibly sloppy, I remember some elbow botch/selling a knee, but their act was well enough over to make it work for a very nice moment. I can't recall a single other match that was particularly good (there must have been  at least one? FTR?). They were always a comedy/Sports Entertainment act, and I can accept that. I'm just oppose to the weak material. 69 day!? Yeah, DX would be a good comparison. The fact that their skits are more pointless and less entertaining than those rotten DX quarter hours is a testament to just how rotten this trio have been. All that said, I still think Bowens/Castor are likable and full of potential. They just need a modicum of awareness that not every one of their basic ideas/whims are actually funny/entertaining. They would also benefit from a good writer. I like their association with MJF which may have some legs. And could be something that helps steer the ship passed basic bad comedy.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

Once Billy Gunn became their full time partner instead of sometime manager, they became a Flanderized one-note comedy gimmick act.  They never were great but they were at least better than they are now.  They were at least interesting, say, when feuding with Sting and Darby.  

They went from being CB4 to being Wacky D.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2023 at 11:54 AM, Matt D said:

It's been over a month since the Acclaimed have been on TV. Feels weird, especially as they just released the DLC with them, no?

I was thinking Wednesday night that I hadn’t seen them for a while, up but I’m also behind on Rampage and assumed that’s where they’ve been. I felt like for a while they’ve been using them for Rampage to keep people around for the taping and get the crowd woken up.

3 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I still love The Acclaimed but I am ready for them to get back to being a tag with Daddy as a manager and I would really like a Bowens singles run. 

Yep. I know he's short, but the money is in the Bowens single run. He has such a connection with the crowd and is very smooth.

• Like 7