DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

The WWE does not need CM Punk. They are doing better business than they have ever done. Why take him back considering you just saw him act like that in a place where he was given a lot of leeway and still screwed that up? Other than a pop for a few weeks and some edgy promos (that aren’t all that interesting) what do you really get? All downside. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Is there a Dom or Sub majority?

There's more subs but they only get half a vote. Maybe they'll get a whole vote when they do what they're told and stop squirming.

Crowd responses tonight and tomorrow feel pivotal in a way I wish they wouldn't be. Chicago likes to think of itself as a "smart" crowd, at what point does said smartness cover for the ability to admit that the dude CLEARLY shouldn't be around pro wrestling in any capacity? It only takes one nutcase, and I'm afraid we're going to see ugly things coming out of this - hopefully not on camera, but who knows. Wrestling fans, man.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Greggulator said:

The WWE does not need CM Punk. They are doing better business than they have ever done. Why take him back considering you just saw him act like that in a place where he was given a lot of leeway and still screwed that up? Other than a pop for a few weeks and some edgy promos (that aren’t all that interesting) what do you really get? All downside. 

Because he won't be given that leeway. Wrestling doesn't follow the normal conventions that most entertainment endeavors do.

Some guys are on like the 59th chance in pro wrestling.

suing the WWE actually sped up your return to the WWE in some years but when you consider the WWE is about to finalize their buyout soonish.. they're probably not taking on Punk

the one recurring rule of any "guy is suddenly available" wrestling story is that it doesn't align with the timing in the other promotion. Bret in 1997 as Starrcade approached. WCW being bought just before Wrestlemania.

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

Honestly the only reason I could see them doing it was if Fox really really wanted them to, and even then more as a Brock-level attraction (with a pre-determined storyline agreed upon start to finish) then long term contract. There is really no other upside, and also no guarantee he'd be happy there either. I think there is a way it could work but they would be absolutely insane to sign him to a multi-year contract.

I just listened to the Cornette/Tim Hornbaker story that included a recounting of the time that they almost put Ric Flair on a WWE PPV with Reid and I thought up an idea of the WWE saying "there's a former champion in the audience tonight" then cut to Punk, and then move the camera over to AJ Lee and introduce her to the audience.

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

Honestly the only reason I could see them doing it was if Fox really really wanted them to, and even then more as a Brock-level attraction (with a pre-determined storyline agreed upon start to finish) then long term contract. There is really no other upside, and also no guarantee he'd be happy there either. I think there is a way it could work but they would be absolutely insane to sign him to a multi-year contract.

I can see him showing up on Fox every now and again because it appears that if anything remotely interesting is suppose to happen on Smackdown, it affects the ratings positively.

Juxtapose that on AEW where it legitimately takes a big effort to affect the ratings in ANY major way. It also doesn't help that the past few months, they were in a holding pattern before All In.

7 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

There's more subs but they only get half a vote. Maybe they'll get a whole vote when they do what they're told...

Well that's the thing: if you actually understand dom/sub dynamics, technically the subs are the ones holding all the power 😇

13 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

People do seem to be forgetting that when he was seemingly in a decent place and willing to come back with Fox pushing WWE to make it happen, WWE expressed no interest. They were fine with him working the talk show, but wanted no part of him on the wrestling side of things.

I was really excited for Punk because he looked so happy when he came back, and the matches were good. But once he started doing the "these kids don't know how to draw money" act I really didn't care if he came back.

• Like 10

Good on Tony for going through with it, unless he’s just giving into Punk’s desire to be fired. It sucks they couldn’t figure this out but honestly my main concern is whether Collision suffers. Ultimately, I just want a good wrestling show to watch and Punk seemed like he was integral to that happening, I hope it can continue

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Good on Tony for going through with it, unless he’s just giving into Punk’s desire to be fired. It sucks they couldn’t figure this out but honestly my main concern is whether Collision suffers. Ultimately, I just want a good wrestling show to watch and Punk seemed like he was integral to that happening, I hope it can continue

Mystery Collision GM booking the show via text message

Adam Page booked to cut constant promos saying "I am soft"

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Super Ape said:

with cause (possible lawsuit)

So, IANAL, but how exactly does that work?  "With Cause" means he violated his contract, right?  I know anyone can file a lawsuit for anything, but assuming that the general contract language says you cannot physically assault your coworkers, and that there is security footage (along with eyewitness testimony) of Punk assaulting Perry, what grounds would Punk have for a lawsuit? Could he try to argue disparagement/defamation or a hostile work environment? 

I thought the idea of bringing Punk in was going to be awesome, and there sure were some incredible moments that it produced. However, at the end of the day, it just   like the problems far outweighed the positives for the company. Is Punk really that big of a draw (not talking merch sales) because after the novelty of him being back wore off, I don't really think so.

Seemed like every other day there was something something Punk news that was just detering from the in ring product. I am glad I got to see him wrestle once, but damn the drama was just too much. All the stories made it seem like he thought he was bigger than the promotion. I mean if it's true, fucking lunging at your boss?! Come on, that shit can't be allowed anywhere.

I question if we will see ripple effects, but even FTR/Brodie King/Danhausen can't be dumb enough to condone that type of behavior. 

My guess is they drop the real World title stuff and now we see the champion bouncing between shows. Anyone is fair game for Collision now.

Edit - Now Collision can fully become the Jay White/Juice Robinson show. Fuck. Yes.

Edited by Krone
  • Like 5