DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Random thought popped into my head watching the AEW and thinking how they can differentiate their Womens product, as well as inject some lifeblood into it.  What if they had a female color commentator come on during the womens match (or even transition to an all lady commentators table?)

Thinking back to the Monday Nitro days, when WCW brought in cruiserweights for matches, Mike Tenay added a certain dynamic to commentary to not only get us up to speed on the history of the wrestlers but also the moves and origins, etc. Without much deeper emphasis put on it other than the initial thought, i figured i would run it by you all to get your opinions and who you would choose to commentate (Renee Moxley is there of course, but other than that). 

• Like 3

Madison Rayne. Because it would be very funny if it turned out that as well as being a better wrestler than her husband, she was also a better commentator than him.

• Like 3

well it would certainly turn out better than when WCW would trot out Lee Marshall for the women's matches. 

i always kind of appreciated that idea in WCW (obviously moreso with Tenay and the cruisers) because it did give you JUST a slight more reason to pay attention.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:20 AM, zendragon said:

I feel like Bray would have been better used as a manager who also wrestled based on this match. His in ring usually never really matched up to his promo ability, or if WWE has a trios belt

I thought Bray was becoming a very serviceable worker before all the bells and whistles with the Fiend gimmick and stuff. I remember before the end of Rybacks run they had a really good match on a PPV. Also the angle he had with Orton as the odd couple tag team that lead to that horrible WM match between them. Every that lead to it was some of the best things since they brought back the split in 2016. He wasn't going to be anywhere close to as good as Harper Braun or Rowan who was becoming really good as well but in my opinion I thought Bray was coming along as decent enough to not need the extra stuff in alot of his matches. Maybe he wasn't confident enough in his own work which is another reason why it was ridiculous of WWE not to have the Wyatt family members together again. Especially considering how close these guy were outside the ring. I'm sure Bray pushed hard to have these guys on his side at the hights of his push.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gorman said:

Veda Scott made a few appearances as a color commentator on AEW Dark.

Veda is great. Sign them up. Madison Rayne was good as the colour analyst with Impact, so she could be Veda's partner, or you could rotate some of the active female wrestlers in there. Great chance to try and give some additional personality to the women. 

Edited by Dewar
Correcting pronouns.
  • Like 3

Veda Scott is a She/They non-binary.

Anyway, the list of who is getting WWE tryouts leaked:

• Copeland Barbee
  • David Goldy
  • Jay Malachi
  • Richard Holliday
  • Brogan Finlay
  • Jamie Stanley
  • Ray Jaz
  • Damaris Largo
  • Hollyhood Haley J
  • Kelsey Heather
  • Valentina Rossi
  • Madi Wrenkowski

Brogan Finlay is Dave Finlay junior's lil bro. He's also apparently very good friends with Billie Starkz.

• Like 2

several of those names look like they could be stolen to rename other wrestlers

Brogan Finlay... well, if you shorten that to Bro Finlay, then you can recycle the Matt Riddle gimmick on him. A beach dude sort of gimmick on a pale Irish dude, let's do it

I read one Redditor with the idea of a tag team between Finlay and Regal's kid. There's probably some situations where you could team up the kids of two feuding wrestlers and have their fathers be displeased with the whole concept. Sort of Romeo and Juliet without the sex, presumably

Also, Richard Holliday should be hired already.

Ray Jaz is really good, versatile (as in, he's an unstoppable main event heel in Beyond Wrestling, and an undercard comedy act in MLW), and has freakish power. And the type of physique that Vince would absolutely love.

Spoiler

But he's also well under 6 feet tall. Which might work against him.

On 9/17/2023 at 10:43 AM, Brandon Bones said:

As much as I am a MXE fanboy.  Stan Lanes karate gimmick was always its least impressive attribute.  

I will also confess my unfairness when I state that opinion is entirely based him whiffing the kick in the finish with the Southern Boys at GAB90. 

It was a different time.  Having two kicks in your arsenal meant you knew at least three martial arts, just like having 2-3 suplexes meant you were a "scientific wrestler."

21 hours ago, FourPostMassacre said:

Stumbled upon this and thought someone might get a laugh out of it like I did.

LOOOOOL the same "I'm just saying some of it makes sense" or "I'm just asking questions" defense every conspiracy goober makes when called out on their ridiculous beliefs and stupidity.

19 hours ago, Gorman said:

Veda Scott made a few appearances as a color commentator on AEW Dark.

Veda was my first thought on that, too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It was a different time.  Having two kicks in your arsenal meant you knew at least three martial arts, just like having 2-3 suplexes meant you were a "scientific wrestler."

If you threw a dropkick, holy shit! You were a high-flyer!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1