DVDVR Message Board

Collision - 6/17/2023

I enjoyed the majority of this show. The energy was boosted by a hot Chicago crowd and a bunch of shot in the arm returns.

Punk promo had good energy. Not a lot of ground breaking content. But he got to set the stage for being a tweener. Hoping him carrying around the belt in the bag isn't leading to split championships. More likely a match where Punk works MJF and puts him over without a loss? Ladder Match?

Luchasaurus & Wardlow is not the match I would have started off with. At different points the crowd was into it. I loved Christian's stooging. Think this is an obvious transition for Jungle Man to take the title off Luchasaurus.

Buddy & Andrade was some real good shit. Loved it. Also thought it was a good touch them both pulling out their significant other's submission finishers near the end stretch.

Miro match was fine and the crowd was happy to see him.

Seeing Schiavone in the scissors spot made that whole segment worth it lol.

Women's tag was very good and nice moment for Skye Blue finally getting a big win.

Main was excellent. Punk looked rusty / hurt at certain points but that is to be expected. He'll get back in that groove soon enough. His interactions with Joe were great. All the chaos happening around him was great. FTR & BC Gold put their god damn working boots on.

Loved the stage they used. Not as big a fan of the announcers at ringside. BUT if you're trying to differentiate the shows that is a clear visual cue that they are different. All red ropes didn't bother me or distract me. Thought they fit the show and the look just like they do on ROH. Kevin Kelly was not on his game tonight. Lots of flubs and confusion. I generally like him okay in New Japan commentary. Maybe he's just working out some kinks here? Nigel sounded good. Putting JR out there was a waste but again probably a concession for Punk and FTR. He was inoffensive in his few sound bytes.

I'd say an overall win for the night. But like Matt D said not shooting a big angle is kind of a head scratcher. Yes there is a PPV next week and a lot of TVs next week. But this needed something as a hook. Something to give Collision a stamp of must see. There was a lot of very good wrestling. But I don't think anything was really must see drive the viewers to this super important show in any way.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 2

They did shoot a big angle though. Just so happens that it was at the start of the show, but the “big hook” of the first episode was Punk returning, wrestling and “what’s he gonna say?”. The hook for following weeks, like it or not, is that this is where you see CM Punk and other misfit toys like Miro and Andrade.

• Like 2

This first show was a roller coaster. Not in the sense of being the most exciting ride I have ever experienced, but in the sense of being entertaining while still having plenty of ups and downs.

The ups: Buddy and Andrade tearing down the house while staying (mostly) grounded (It will be interesting to see if Andrade can pull off face when he is so naturally a heel). Skye Blue looking strong in front of her hometown crowd (much stronger than her mama's slaps anyway). Powerhouse Hobbs promo (He looks and sounds like an absolute star). Joe/Punk standoff (nostalgia hit me hard with this one. It took me back to 2004, which is so long ago that it probably meets the flippy fisty criteria of not being cutting edge).

The downs: The announce team (on a positive note, I'm going to learn Spanish so I can just enjoy the SAP with the SAT going forward). Wardlow/Luchasaurus had its moments but was not a good effort overall (I get where they are going with this, and Christian is awesome, but I don't want to see MJF/Wardlow redone. I will never care enough about Luchasaurus for that to work. Also, how do you screw up Wardlow? He is athletic, talented, has a look that the ladies and gentlemen seem to dig, and is a genuine sweetheart in real life. This should be a no brainer).

The ups and downs: Punk's opening promo (I felt like Punk reined himself in pretty well here for the most part and got his point across. However, if there is any truth to Zaslav calling Punk One Bill Phil and the reasons behind it, how does that change the power dynamic of AEW? Network executives badmouthing EVPs has to be seen as diminishing to their legitimacy and power, I would think). I agree with the person who said that Miro's return should have been a surprise. I was very happy to see him, but I feel it would have come across better if he would have just answered a Tony Nese challenge. I am always happy to see The Acclaimed, but the whole Daddy Ass schtick is starting to grate on me a bit. (While I am griping, The Acclaimed are still super over, but seem to have been relegated to the outside looking in as it regards the tag division).

Overall: I can definitely see this show being required watching. It felt completely different than any other wrestling show currently on, and that is a good thing. I am glad to see Lexy Nair getting a bit more air time, and I would love to see some RJ City in the mix as well.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

I heard Meltzer gave CM Punk vs the guardrail he broke his foot on 5 stars. Would’ve been six if it was in Reseda or the Tokyo Dome.

I guess he should have just piled on the injuries and left them untreated for years, like Omega.

Youre out here getting worked and baited, HARD, by a clearly tweener leaning heel Punk. But you do you, fam. Even the Bucks are in on it if their Twitter bio is anything to go by.

I don't know if this applies to you, but let the record show that Montreal Truthers exist. Not everything is a work. A_K thought the broken foot was a work.

• Like 2

I'm a fan of Punk. And I'm going to watch regardless. But I just don't think Punk & the misfit toys is enough to support a whole pseudo second brand. I certainly could be wrong (and really hope I am, I'd love for this show to blow up). I just think the timing of this being a week before Forbidden Door is what held them back from shooting a real angle. And that's fine. But they are going to need more than Hi I'm Johnny Knoxville (CM Punk) And Welcome To Jackass (Collision) as their calling card to get all of the fans that watch Dynamite to watch it vs getting Rampage numbers.

• Like 2

I'm going to probably be on the minority side  on the bookends of the show) but.. eh.. here goes.

Count me on the side of those not impressed by the opening promo. Why? A couple of reasons. 1) It smacked of the Insider Knowledge "fake shoot comments that are really shoot comments" bs. 2) It didn't do a thing to sell the main event of your very first show. (which is something I'll get back to).

Women's Tag  Match: If they don't give Skye Blue some gold in the next six months, they're missing an opportunity. It'd probably have to be new Women's Tag Team Championships, but has anyone had more of a rocket push over the space of a few weeks.

AEI/Buddy Matthews was 10 pounds of great in a six pound bag.

Other than Christian Cage's celebration, did Luchasaurus/Wardlow mean anything or do anything for the TNT title? It feels like we're in a "I dunno what we're going to do with this title going forward, so let's switch it every couple months so it feels like anything can happen". I honestly think that the International Title has moved in front of the TNT title  because despite it only having one champion,. it's been defended often, and more and more often, you've been given compelling reasons to watch the match and to guess about what's going to happen.

Miro kicks ass well. Nese takes a ass kicking well. That makes a good segment, but not one I'm sure really deserves to be on the debut episode of a new show.

Now, the main event. First off, I will say in the bounds of what it was, it is a good story they're telling. However, it didn't do a thing really to use the Impetus of Punk's return match to make their opponents. Jay White (especially) and Juice Robinson really could have used this to springboard up in the fans eyes, but did Punk speak about them and build them up in his promo? Did they get a chance to speak on their own behalf? No. That's why, to me at least some of this is "You didn't beat anybody because you made no body" (Sorry, Bully Ray, for butchering your oft-quoted promo). We KNOW Joe's an ass kicker, but from an AEW centric point of view, is there any reason one of your top stars in his return match ISN'T going to go over two guys who are fairly new to the company and haven't been placed at Punk's level? It's almost literally "These are guys who Punk can have a good match with for workrate with no doubt who wins", and the fact that there was no real promo time or buildup from either side of it proves it.

Combined, makes me put this in the good but not great side with glaring holes

edit: I forgot to give One Dill Pickle Phil (sorry, couldn't resist) deserved props for taking that sign into the ring post-show.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 6

and one last bit that may explain my antipathy towards the show. I am a fan of AEW. Will freely admit it. It seemed to me like two major parts of Collision were rewarding people who were assholes (off screen) in AEW. That being Punk and AEI. It feels weird that they're getting rewarded for being off-screen assholes.

I'm going to use a pretty weird analogy here, but if AEW is a skyscraper under forever construction, the actions of AEI and Punk came off more like someone taking a wrecking ball to the skyscraper from the inside, and being rewarded for it. Weird analogy, but while I think they're good wrestlers, I don't think their past actions towards the company they were contracted for deserved being rewarded with a whole show dedicated to them

edit: Miro too, to some degree.

Edited by SirFozzie

This show rocked. 

I don't think it really needed an angle at the end or a hook for next week's show. This felt, to me, like an "educating the fanbase" introductory show. There was a lot more breathing room in every match on Collision that isn't there in a lot of matches on Dynamite/Rampage. I think it was pretty telling that Andrade vs Matthews wasn't anywhere near as balls to the wall as those two are capable of. That main event was AWESOME. For a match with no build, that thing had heat. Yes, it's in Chicago, and yes, CM Punk was in it, and yes, Samoa Joe and CM Punk haven't locked up in almost twenty years, but the work cranked all those factors up and milked them for all they were worth. I think the women's tag wasn't really much different than what they would have done on Dynamite, but if anyone looks better wrestling at a slower pace in the women's division, it's Ruby. Toni and Willow can definitely hang with that, and I think Skye Blue has a lot to gain working in this kind of environment. 

As an aside, Joe threw that first chop like he'd been waiting 20 years to throw it. GodDAMN, that was awesome. 

Looking forward to next week. 

Edited by southofheavy
  • Like 6

Great show, dig the vibe thus far. Loved the Punk opening, had a big time feel to it. Glad to have him back.

Shocked to see Wardlow drop the TNT title once again, seems like every time he's gonna have a long run then he just loses it out of the blue. Good for Luchasaurus though and I look forward to how it plays in to Jack Perry's story.

Andrade/Buddy was good stuff. Enjoy seeing Andrade back hope he still has some LFI backup for a trios. Nice touch using the Figure 8 for the win. 

Awesome women's tag and I love to see Skye get the big hometown win coming off her performance on Dynamite. Everyone involved did great here.

Epic main event, the pop for Punk vs Joe happening was the best. 

And now tons of stuff to look forward to from here on the upcoming events, including a Briscoe/Jarrett Concession Stand Brawl!! They missed it in Tupelo but glad they were at least inspired by it. Suzuki on Dynamite! Plus the "Blind Eliminator"  tag tournament which has me hoping for a Battle Bowl

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

So between this observation and this show having a dope theme song by a music legend, maybe should I give this show a shot?

Sounds like I need to peep this.

That was my thought but I don't see others echoing what I said so maybe it was just me Lol.  But yeah it's worth a watch at least this episode and then tell me if you agree,  I thought stylistically it was different than the usual matches I see on Dynamite (which I also like).

Thought it was a really good show. Major league stage, I’m a big fan of Kevin Kelly. Andrade and buddy beat the crap out of each other. I thought it was a great debut and I’m looking forward to dynamite and collision before forbidden door.

Bucks need to do a promo on Wednesday in Chicago. 

• Like 3

Since we all know Punk lurks on this board, I'm gonna guess he's read the last several pages and nodded his head with a smile on his face cuz everyone is taking the bait. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The promo kind of felt like he was trying to do the 97 Bret "Heel, but a babyface in Canada" thing, only he was in his babyface location.

• Like 2

I do wonder what happens if he’s not actually booed in other cities. It’s entirely possible, I said it in the Discord but people underestimate how much Punk is liked just because the internet fans like to shit on him now post-All Out. Canada will boo him most likely, but it’s not entirely unlikely to me that he might get cheered in other places.

• Like 1