DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/7/2023

The Natural

MJF's title defense against the Pillars was a pretty breakout match for him.  That performance coupled with Adam Cole getting a long overdue title shot has piqued my interest in this match.  It is strange because last year this time, I did not give a shit about either of these guys.

Don Callis is a heat magnet.  Putting Take-soup with him was a good idea.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I won't harp on it. I'll just say that it's very telling that all the "heelish' things MJF said about Adam Cole were true, and I have no idea why I'm supposed to boo MJF. I'll again be interested to see how many viewers that segment loses, and who certain folks on here will shift the blame onto to avoid being honest with themselves about Adam Cole.

The rest of the show was a showcase for guys who should be in the spot Cole is in now. Without exaggeration, I thought there were at least seven guys who showed up for tv tonight where dwarf Adam Cole in both in ring ability and charisma. Knife Guy, Stroke Daddy Starks, Jungle Juice Jack, Hook, Mox, Swerve, OC, and Swiss CC are guys who'd present a much more believable challenge, and Wheeler Yuta and Lard Lad aren't far behind. Lots of good shit on the tv program tonight. Anna Jay has good instincts. She's still too hesitant at times, but it seems like she's getting a real feel for what goes where and when. I'm so happy for Kris Statlander.

Not a single bad match on this show. I thought Starks should've gone over, but I always think that. At least the finish protected Ricky. I'm not super psyched for more weeks of the Jacksons getting to "Stand tall" against the BCC, but you can't have everything, I guess. I also would've probably had Strickland go over, but I understand why they didn't. Looking forward to Forbidden Door. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, elizium said:

They did, but super quickly. Something like “he’s got the tights too”

Punk, Brody, and Danhausen as running buddies, something I never would have thought I’d say a couple years ago 

I mean, Brody is the singer of a legit hardcore punk band and Danhausen has a lot of punk roots too. Honestly, they may be too punk to hang out with Phil.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

I’ll have to take y’all’s word on it about MJF-Cole, I hit FFWD about 2 minutes into MJF doing the world worst celebrity roast, gave Adam Cole a minute and then was back leaning on that sweet >>

Really thought Swerve was going to win. Match started good but hit next level during PiP and really had an amazing finishing stretch. What a run for OC, another classic. Post-match angle seems a little weird. Wonder if they’ll have OC lose at Wembley?

BCC vs Roppongi Friends was good, not my fave but Yuta getting to be a little prick again is always going to be a yep from me.

I love Stat and while I complained about Jade’s squashes I think Stat should have been more dominant. Anna Jay has top tier WOW heel mannerisms.

Did NOT expect that Texas Tornado match to be that violent, it started pretty rough and the early brawling was mostly just there but then Vance hit a gusher and that seemed almost seemed to flip a switch.

Main also started a little slow but once he got going it was fire. Jay White is great. I guess the price of Starks pinning Juice clean is multiple screwy finishes. Gunns were a major disappointment but given the general state of the Bullet Clubs around the world they kind of fit.

Rampage looks fine. Next week’s Dynamite is stacked!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Knife Guy

KNIFE PERVERT~! I forgot all about that nickname. 

I only made it through the open but it was a damn good match. It felt like not only us but the entire crowd there were biting on the idea of Orange losing until he finally pulled it out. Honestly it almost felt like we were cheated! In a good way though, I suppose. Who takes the title now is beyond me. It's gonna have to involve some chicanery, right? 

Shall return later with feelings about the sweet sweet blood...

• Like 5

LOL holy fucking shit

Rampage spoilers

Spoiler

In what might be a "cinematic match" on the Briscoe farm: Mark Briscoe, Papa Briscoe & Aubrey Edwards versus Jeff & Karen Jarret & Jay Lethal

fuck Forbidden Door, that's amazing

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Can it be explained to me why it's okay to body shame Adam Cole? I hated this shit when they do it to Kingston. It's not any better to do it to Cole, but no one seems to have a problem with it on here. It's gross.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

If you're going to let MJF rip the babyfaces a new asshole, don't have the babyface standing in the ring with him during promos

Tonight felt like that RAW promo from years ago where CM Punk ripped on Kevin Nash, but at least they weren't both in the ring for that

Like when the Pillars did their promos together a few weeks ago - why not have one at ringside, one on the ramp, one standing on a table, and one in the ring. By having them all within spitting distance it was just silly.

No one with any balls would have just stood there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mystman said:

Can it be explained to me why it's okay to body shame Adam Cole? I hated this shit when they do it to Kingston. It's not any better to do it to Cole, but no one seems to have a problem with it on here. It's gross.

I absolutely have a problem with it. A few others do too, from what I've seen. But it's seemingly okay to do it just because lol Adam Cole sucks or "doesn't look like a pro wrestler" or whatever the fuck the excuse is this week.

I'm not even a huge fan of Cole, or the Bucks, but it's really fucking annoying. Especially when two of AEW's top babyfaces are smaller guys and don't have immaculate bodies (Orange Cassidy & Darby Allin)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Casey said:

LOL holy fucking shit

Rampage spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

In what might be a "cinematic match" on the Briscoe farm: Mark Briscoe, Papa Briscoe & Aubrey Edwards versus Jeff & Karen Jarret & Jay Lethal

fuck Forbidden Door, that's amazing

AEW rules the motherfucking world!!!! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I’ll have to take y’all’s word on it about MJF-Cole, I hit FFWD about 2 minutes into MJF doing the world worst celebrity roast, gave Adam Cole a minute and then was back leaning on that sweet >>

This.

That was, what, a 20 minute segment?! I couldn't believe how quickly the show blew by when I hit the FF as soon as MJF came out and didn't let up until they had moved on.  WWE does this shit all the time where a heel runs down a face who just stands there and takes it, then says something not nearly as vengeful back, and looks completely lousy.  I think the better use of time would have been for MJF to start running Cole down only to walk into a superkick and Cole walking out like a "I'm not going to play this little game with you".  Would put over Cole as a guy who isn't going to get caught up in MJF's head-games and force MJF take another tact with him (Sneak attacks, payiing off other guys to beat him up...your standard MJF playbook...man am I tired of him...)

This feud is probably good for @just drew as I don't think anyone in AEW has gone into a feud with MJF and come out hotter/more over than when they went in.

JungleHook-Vance/(I don't know how to spell his name) was really fun though a little part of me was disappointed that Taz didn't get up out of his seat and clobber Jose. Did anyone catch what was said post-match when they were talking about how good-looking JungleHook were and it cut to that, ahem, bouncy woman cheering, something was said and then the announcers just kind of chuckled and moved on?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mystman said:

That's what happens when Vince McMahon dictates the direction of pro wrestling for 40 years.

Anyway, I thought the MJF/Cole promo was mostly good, though could've been trimmed down. MJF reading back Cole's promo against Karrion Kross was the good kind of deep call back. Cole blew off all the cheap heat stuff and got to outsmart MJF to set up the match.

Jay/Ricky ruled up to the finish. The only silver lining to the Gunns being there is that keeps hope alive for a Powerhouse face turn to save Ricky at some point.

Claudio's uppercut on Trent might have been his best ever. The timing on that spot was impeccable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Good announcement from Tony Khan. CM Punk and FTR vs. BC Gold/Samoa Joe should be a damn good match.

It will probably be a good match, but I'm not sure that's a match that's going to make non die-hards go "man, I've got to see that". For the debut of a new show I would have expected something bigger.

• Like 1

Kind of a transitional show this week, but that's OK because you sometimes need shows like this. I think making Okada vs. Danielson and Ospeay vs. Omega the top two inter-promotional matches for Forbidden Door is great, and they did a good job building them up, especially with Danielson on commentary again this week and it was the Blackpool Combat Club vs. the CHAOS faction of Best Friends and Romero. 

I like Orange Cassidy and all, but I'm sort of ready to see him lose already. I feel like AEW is trying to turn him into their version of Cena. I think Swerve should've won tonight. These Cassidy title defenses are becoming a bit repetitive.

I'm fine with doing Cole/MJF for right now. It's a new opponent for MJF, but I don't think Cole is the hot hand right now. It's got nothing to do with how Cole looks, but I'm just not sold by Cole as a top-tier babyface. That might change, but we'll see.

I'd be fine with this feud with Christian Cage continuing if it means we can get some more Wardlow/Luchasaurus matchups. I think they had a match way back when during the pandemic era, and I recall it being pretty fun. Also, where is Hobbs? Yet another guy who has disappeared from TV.

• Like 2

I've got the last three matches to go. No bullet points. MJF missed the boat by not talking about how Cole's offense wasn't credible. Both of them were babbling on about their "great matches." The world has gone astray. I need to rewatch Swerve vs Cassidy but I like how back and forth it was. It had a big title match feel and was worked very different than a lot of Cassidy matches lately, so I completely disagree with the post above. I'm excited for the 8 man tag next week. BCC vs Chaos managed to have a different feel than the Tornado Tag. Danielson on commentary remains the best part of these though. Dralistico has overperformed in the last couple of months. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mystman said:

Kingston may be fat, but he looks like a tough guy with enough technical know-how and viciousness that it doesn't hurt him.

Adam Cole just has an indy look and the god-awful Panama Sunrise.  I dislike him less than I dislike Britt on the show (AC seems like a good person though)

MJF "I'm the best heel mic worker since Piper"

Also MJF "Oh yeah, well your mom swallows"

I know someone at AEW reads this board once Adam Cole called MJF a low grade internet troll.

At this point, I very much hope that Menard is commentating on Collision. I want Ian/Wight/Menard. 

The lack of Elevation means we missed out on Willow/Maki vs Emi/Megan Bayne. Someone let me know if a fancam of that pops up.

• Like 6

I didn’t watch every second of the match, so I may have missed some rough spots, but I thought Anna Jay looked really sharp in there against Stat. I know they worked each other at a house show last weekend, so that might have something to do with it, but Anna looked more confident than usual in everything she was doing.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

At this point, I very much hope that Menard is commentating on Collision. I want Ian/Wight/Menard. 

The lack of Elevation means we missed out on Willow/Maki vs Emi/Megan Bayne. Someone let me know if a fancam of that pops up.

It was taped for ROH, I believe?

EDIT: It was. Along with a Pure Rules match between The DKC and Daniel Garcia.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1