DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

On 6/27/2023 at 3:49 PM, tbarrie said:

One percent? According to Google, there are 206 people on the AEW roster. So which two people is Eddie thinking of?

Jericho was my first guess as being one of the offended parties, given his comments about Punk in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Jericho was my first guess as being one of the offended parties, given his comments about Punk in the past.

I know we've talked this subject TO DEATH, but Id be remiss if I didn't mention again what a boss-ass move it was for Jericho to wrestle Colt in Chicago. Even as a grown man, there's something about the trollishness of that, that just tickles me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I know we've talked this subject TO DEATH, but Id be remiss if I didn't mention again what a boss-ass move it was for Jericho to wrestle Colt in Chicago. Even as a grown man, there's something about the trollishness of that, that just tickles me.

It was certainly *chefs kiss*

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

Super fun road trip with the crew to cap off a phenomenal week of pro wres!

The pictures are GREAT but I am sure I am not alone when I ask: Can we please get a couple of full-on Road Reports (including food & drinking & in this case baseball coverage) ?

Edit: @HarryArchieGus

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

The pictures are GREAT but I am sure I am not alone when I ask: Can we please get a couple of full-on Road Reports (including food & drinking & in this case baseball coverage) ?

Seconded.

Also Rounders beats Baseball 😉😋.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

It’s happening 😁 Billie Starkz just got her first AEW shirt.

Good for her, man. I really like what I've seen so far from her in the ring (and I recently saw her mother Tweet that Billie was valedictorian of her HS class, so she's obviously a bright kid to boot). It's interesting to consider that by the time she's 28, she'll have had 11 or 12 years under her belt - kinda typical for Joshi women, or someone like a Saraya born into it, but I think that's a kind of unique circumstance stateside, unless there's a glaring example I'm missing - Lita came to mind but she was like 20 or 21 on ECW TV, and Zelina was I think 20 already when she was Sarita on TNA TV. I know someone's gonna reply here with a name I haven't considered - but even so, very cool stuff.

As far as men go, TJP is a 25 year vet at this point. He started when he was 14, I believe. If you go beyond US borders, but to people who aren’t joshi talent or born into wrestling - Becky Lynch and Kevin Owens both started out at 15 or 16.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Casey said:

As far as men go, TJP is a 25 year vet at this point. He started when he was 14, I believe. If you go beyond US borders, but to people who aren’t joshi talent or born into wrestling - Becky Lynch and Kevin Owens both started out at 15 or 16.

Thanks, Casey - Becky's probably the closest answer, I should have been more specific in that I was trying to think of similarly aged women - my go to answer for men is always Rey, but great shout with TJP and KO (and same for @Dolphman 3000 with dem boyz)

Based on their Wikipedia dates, both Skye Blue and Julia Hart started training while either 17 or barely 18.

More Wiki suggests that Dante Martin was 15 when he had his first match and Darius was 17.

Edited by JLowe
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Good for her, man. I really like what I've seen so far from her in the ring (and I recently saw her mother Tweet that Billie was valedictorian of her HS class, so she's obviously a bright kid to boot). It's interesting to consider that by the time she's 28, she'll have had 11 or 12 years under her belt - kinda typical for Joshi women, or someone like a Saraya born into it, but I think that's a kind of unique circumstance stateside, unless there's a glaring example I'm missing - Lita came to mind but she was like 20 or 21 on ECW TV, and Zelina was I think 20 already when she was Sarita on TNA TV. I know someone's gonna reply here with a name I haven't considered - but even so, very cool stuff.

15 years by the time she's 28, she started at 13, pretty much has wrestled full time since 14.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where I am in my 1994 rewatch, I just saw that match a few weeks back. That match with Razor on Raw was one of the strangest things you will see. I dunno if they edited it in a crazy way cause apparently Scott took liberties, but it's something that probably should have never made air. I think Scott got frustrated and just started to beat the shit out of him. In the middle of the match, Scott and the ref are having a conversation while Jeff is down. It's like Jeff is having a panic attack mid match, and they are confused as to what to do. Then, they just keep going and it's pretty awful. 

I am in the set of TV taping cycles between Raw/Superstars/Challenges where it's clear Italian Stallion is bringing all his guys down cause his ass is also all over these shows. Some of his guys aren't very TV ready. Jeff sort of redeems himself with a match he had on Superstars with 1-2-3 Kid that aired a couple weeks later. Matt is totally fine cause he literally get his ass whooped for 99% of the match.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Where I am in my 1994 rewatch, I just saw that match a few weeks back. That match with Razor on Raw was one of the strangest things you will see. I dunno if they edited it in a crazy way cause apparently Scott took liberties, but it's something that probably should have never made air. I think Scott got frustrated and just started to beat the shit out of him. In the middle of the match, Scott and the ref are having a conversation while Jeff is down. It's like Jeff is having a panic attack mid match, and they are confused as to what to do. Then, they just keep going and it's pretty awful. 

I am in the set of TV taping cycles between Raw/Superstars/Challenges where it's clear Italian Stallion is bringing all his guys down cause his ass is also all over these shows. Some of his guys aren't very TV ready. Jeff sort of redeems himself with a match he had on Superstars with 1-2-3 Kid that aired a couple weeks later. Matt is totally fine cause he literally gets his ass whooped for 99% of the match.

Yeah I did that same rewatch when the Network first came out, and I remember neon green tights Matt being pretty inoffensive as 'local talent', but I cannot for the life of me remember this Jeff match for some reason, either in 2014 or as a kid. I have to watch this over the weekend.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am in the set of TV taping cycles between Raw/Superstars/Challenges where it's clear Italian Stallion is bringing all his guys down cause his ass is also all over these shows. Some of his guys aren't very TV ready. Jeff sort of redeems himself with a match he had on Superstars with 1-2-3 Kid that aired a couple weeks later. Matt is totally fine cause he literally get his ass whooped for 99% of the match.

I just watched it. I think it was a matter of Jeff being nervous since it was his first TV match and falling into the trap a lot of folks fall into when they're doing jobs, meaning laying around selling instead of throwing some weak punches or trying to fire up at least in some way. It was a lot more common when you have folks who had no training - and in 1994, Jeff was basically an elevated backyarder, so it makes sense that he didn't have much of an idea of what to do, and it's not like Razor was going to call anything for him in a squash. Going up against 1-2-3 Kid the next day makes a lot more sense that it'd be more competitive looking because Kid had worked people at Jeff's experience level in the years prior on indies.

• Like 3