DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

So John Ritchie was given the nickname Sic Vicious after John Lydon's pet hamster, Sid. But that hamster was named after the wrestler Cyanide Sid Cooper. So the fact that the name wound up back on a wrestler is just things going full circle.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I feel like Jon Anderson's transformation from his days as the front man of prog rock band Yes into Strongman in NJPW was somehow EVEN MORE startling

: ypYOXPS.jpg        

itIQBbx.jpg  

Almost looks like two completely different people!

If you're starting to get down on yourself for not having a physique like that, he'd like you to know that yours is no disgrace either...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Has there ever been a match where someone was about to do something stupid like Sting tonight and then at the last second realized it was a bad idea and backed out? 

Jay Lethal realizing that Ric Flair may well die from a superplex and nixing the spot in Flair's last match comes to mind...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Comedian said:

Jay Lethal realizing that Ric Flair may well die from a superplex and nixing the spot in Flair's last match comes to mind...

Flair being half dead and not being able to climb the ropes didnt help matters either.

22 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Has there ever been a match where someone was about to do something stupid like Sting tonight and then at the last second realized it was a bad idea and backed out? 

Lex Luger being like, "yeah, fuck all this" vs Bruiser Brody.

• Like 1

Now I want this to be someone's gimmick. Where their confidence level during a match gets way too high and they're like, fuck yeah, I AM going to jump off this top rope, and then they, I don't know, climb down and jump off the bottom rope instead.

Surely, this has to be a thing somewhere out in socal indy scene, right?

Can't remember the match, but it was one with a manager or other non-wrestler wrestling where they went up to the top rope for a move, thought better of it and moved down to the second rope, and then thought better of that and went to the bottom rope before jumping off.  That was a good spot.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Can't remember the match, but it was one with a manager or other non-wrestler wrestling where they went up to the top rope for a move, thought better of it and moved down to the second rope, and then thought better of that and went to the bottom rope before jumping off.  That was a good spot.

I know Heenan did one like this at Survivor Series 89, when he had to sub in when Tully got fired.  He acutally was teasing it TO THE OUTSIDE!  He started on the second rope, then eventually went down the floor for an eye rake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Now I want this to be someone's gimmick. Where their confidence level during a match gets way too high and they're like, fuck yeah, I AM going to jump off this top rope, and then they, I don't know, climb down and jump off the bottom rope instead.

Surely, this has to be a thing somewhere out in socal indy scene, right?

https://www.facebook.com/TheNewWrestlingEra/videos/back-in-2016-when-tommaso-ciampa-led-the-pwg-crowd-to-sing-i-believe-i-can-fly-/1586241218167160

Ok I read that like “stupid like Sting and climbed down” aka stupid like Sting who climbed down. Eh...I know it’s 2023 but he had to do it once he got up there I think. There has to be more answers to the real question but I’ll be danged if I can think of 1 right now.