DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/17/2023

Matt D

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Jamie Hayter is not medically cleared, so the trios tag is now Britt & Shida vs. Ruby & Toni

But we’re getting Storm/Hayter 2 at Double or Nothing! Hell yes.

• Like 2

I wonder if Rush understands he's hurting himself when he makes his main eventer opponent look that weak.

(I have to assume Rush went into business for himself, because that's his reputation and no sane person would have booked that match that way.)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I wonder if Rush understands he's hurting himself when he makes his main eventer opponent look that weak.

(I have to assume Rush went into business for himself, because that's his reputation and no sane person would have booked that match that way.)

I'm not a Lucha expert but I get the distinct impression that Rush doesn't care. Although you'd have to hope at this point if AEW is putting him on live TV that they are embracing that reputation he has and leaning into it.

• Like 5

Nervous for Elite vs. BCC Anarchy in the Arena II with how the first injured Bryan Danielson, really liking Jamie Hayter vs. Toni Storm II as their AEW Full Gear 2022 match is one of the best AEW matches ever and Christian Cage in a Ladder match vs. Wardlow. Still on the fence whether I order as these are the only AEW Double or Nothing matches I care for so I might just do what I said, save my money for AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door.

Fucking awesome show! Thank you Austin Texas! Missed the Christian segment and a bit of the OC/Darby v Bill/Lee opening tag, but it looked pretty fun and well worth another spin. I was making dinner during the kinda lame Sammy squash and the first portion of the Ruby/Toni v Baker/Shida tag. Dug the finish, and this Toni Storm number 1 contenders push. Small grievance - Baker should've been selling the eyes after the bout instead of sitting up looking like a loser. Focused viewing began with the excellent Roderick Strong v Jericho falls count anywhere. Excellent singles debut from Roddy. Especially fun post break. I loved that the finish was called in the thread earlier in the day, but to the opposite side. Jungle Jack v Roosh was incredbile! Every brutal minute. I don't care about any political speculation, I just loved it. And loved the Pillars save complete with Rock n' Roll double dropkicks. 'Sammy! Sammy!'  Ricky Starks v Jay White had to follow all that and had no problem absolutely murdering it. Jay White is a total ring general! Loved the DQ finish, which is a testament to it's rare execution. Both Ricky and Jay looked stronger for it. Easy PPV rematch. No stips needed. Er well go ahead and bar Juicey if you need a stip. And then after all that a fucking killer Don Callis talk segment to close it out with a good BCC-Elite brawl made magical by the molten Austin Texas crowd! Cowboy 'Shiz-nit' indeed. The King was spot on about this AEW ruling the fucking world!

• Like 6

So anyway, that was a really good Dynamite. As a "Getting ready to go home" show, it really did a good job of building the PPV. Giving us a bunch of definite booked matches, plus setting up some other potential ones.

Also, for a while after the show, Jericho vs Strong was officially the best wrestling match of all time on Cagematch. It's dropped since.

• Like 3

First of all, and I want to be crystal fucking clear on this... every time a Jackson gets his head stepped on an angel gets it's wings. I laughed like a middle schooler after a fart joke during that segment. Fuck those fucking clowns.

Lots of good shit on this show. Sammy Guevara shouldn't get to be that handsome and that talented. It's what I like to call the "fuck Zac Efron" rule. You don't get to be handsome and talented. Not in a just world. At least Guevara is, by all accounts, stupid. I met Efron on set once and he was charming and intelligent. It's bullshit. Anyway, that was a fun tag match.

I enjoyed the FTR/JJJ segment. Just good Mid-South shit there. That'll be a fun match at the PPV. 

RUSH clearly does not give a fuck. I kind of respect it, even though I'm glad my man Jungle Jack got the win. 

I enjoyed the women's tag. Toni Storm deserves all the good things, and Ruby Soho is doing God's work. Shida is always a treat as well. I still don't think Britt Baker is any good, and that's only partially because of who she's engaged to. The "M" in "DMD" stands for "meh," as far as I'm concerned.

I loved the Strong/Jericho thing, right up until the finish. Adam Cole acting like a tough guy just makes me laugh. 

The main event was dope. Ricky Starks is HIM. He's everything Adam Cole stans wish Cole  was. Right, @LF2?  Effortlessly cool, charismatic, a phenomenal promo, and a natural athlete. Also, and this might be controversial, but I don't see anything in Jay White that makes me think he's some cornerstone talent. He's fine. Good, even. But Starks looked like the better worker in this match. Juice Robinson is a gifted stooge. I find him entertaining.

I'm 100% sure this will be unpopular, but I've still yet to see anything that makes me think the Jacksons or Tappy Gilmore should be standing toe to toe with the BCC. Hangman Page is my shit. I love him. The rest of those guys are performance artists. Choreographers. I'll give credit where it's due; the Jackson's selling on their way to the stage tonight was the most convincing I've ever seen them. Because I can't remember them selling much at all before tonight. 

Good Dynamite. I just think it's ludicrous to expect an Anarchy in the Arena match between those two teams to maintain any level of suspension of disbelief. No one thinks the Young Bucks are credible. Not if they're being honest with themselves. 

Edited by just drew
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

re: Rush vs Jungle Boy

are there any red lines between a babyface having to overcome adversity and beat a heel in a match and the heel making the face look like shit in the process of the match?

Just speculation, but with all the Jungle Boy attitude talk I have to wonder if he big-leagued Rush while they were planning the match backstage

Darby got neutralized and looked like an idiot when he ran out to make the save, so I wonder what the deal is

I remember bringing up that Dralistico and Rush were roughing up AR Fox and Blake Christian at Final Battle, and you all called me crazy

Maybe a little more decisive of a finish would have been better, but this match was the most I’ve cared for Jungle Boy. The failed spinning lariat made the drop kick seem bigger. Jack plays a good underdog getting walloped.

Have Rush take on all the young pillars.

• Like 8

Yeah, I'll second that - this was my favorite Jungle Boy TV match in quite some time. If they're going to take the title off of OC in that BR, i'd strongly consider RUSH for the spot. And as long as we're talking luchadors, I'd definitely be down for a Vikingo or Komander victory there as well - but I think my more realistic expectation is a PAC return and 2nd reign 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Another quick thought on that, I could see Miro or Andrade taking it and making it Collision's top title if the roster split stuff comes to fruition (against my wishes)
  • Like 3

I wouldn't have bought Rush going 50/50 with Jungle Boy and selling/giving him all his PWG midcard offense. And this is what he does. Rush don't give a fuck about your fancy lucha and indie stuff. The word "ingobernable" is right there. "Tranquilo" too - chill out with your flashy shit, fight me. Get roughed up. Rough me up. Rush still sold the shit out of Jungle Boy's submission. Still kept his shoulders flat on the finish. The fact that Jack held the tights tells you exactly what kind of story they agreed to. Young babyface gotta win gritty. This is *thematically relevant to the Jack vs. MJF storyline*. And also Match of the Night.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 7

Solid opening from the Wardlow/Christian feud. Orange & Darby are great together, good double teams and finishing stretch. KAREN Jarrett has arrived! Shida was on fire in the women's tag.

I love the idea of the Blackjack Battle Royal. Champ put out an open challenge and this time there were actually 20 guys eager to accept. Nice touch of this coming as Orange currently has 21 defenses too. I'd still hate for him to lose it in a battle royal after everything though. But I'm interested, and a good way to get a lot of guys on the PPV.

Tony announces another announcement next week!

Jericho/Strong ruled. Love falls count anywhere matches that actually go anywhere and everywhere. Popped for the stanchion! use after Keith Lee on Rampage. Fun ending in the dirt. 

I dug Rush/Perry but I generally enjoy all Rush matches. We got blood and chops! Main event was very good with an exciting finishing stretch. I like how DQs always stand out because they are so rare. 

Thought the closing angle was fantastic. I had Takeshita in mind when it was Hangman that showed up. The official Elite reunion felt epic, cool moment and setup for Anarchy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tweeting is the easiest way for me to share how awesome this fan in the background is. 

I like the way they are making the ppv main event more of 3 vs 1. That makes it more interesting to me, but I’m still not that excited about it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Made it through just some of the show.

• I'd rather Christian and Wardlow have a more conventional match. If they're not going to lean hard into a body part (and they might need to do that in other parts of the show) layout between heel Christian and babyface Wardlow becomes trickier so you sort of need the bells and whistles, but having Christian just be crafty would have worked too. This lets Luchasaurus get involved too. Christian shouldn't be taking huge unnecessary bumps though and if we only have X amount of matches with him left, I'd rather they lean conventional. 
  • Very excited to inform you that there were a few spots (the missed tag in the suplex, the Stundog/Code Red combo) that had been in the house show match with QT and Hobbs over the weekend, so even if no one else is using the House Rules opportunities as a chance to try things out, OC and Darby are. And they worked both times. 
  • The deal with Jericho is that despite having a very good 2022, he has the baggage of long feuds where guys come out worse than they came in and just a legacy of being Chris Jericho. It means, fair or not, he's looked at as only as good as his last match. Well, the clock's reset once again, because they really laid it in here. Strong not only had something to prove but he knew he was going to be getting a huge win (even if it wasn't really his win). I had questioned going FCA instead of something more conventional with these two specific guys, but they used the gimmick to both kill one another and to have fun, leading to the predictable but satisfying angle at the end.
  • Like 12

I literally laughed out loud at Page's eyepatch. The pure schlockiness of it was just too much for me. The segment was well done, thought I am kinda with Drew that it's hard to buy the Bucks as tough guys standing toe to toe with the BCC. Crowd lapped it up though.

No Callous explanation means I guess we just need to find out what the next swerve is before the PPV

I enjoyed RUSH vs Jungle Boy but the finish specifically was baffling and I have to imagine that's on TK.

Calling it now, the finish of White vs Starks is telegraphing The Chairman returning and turning on Starks at the PPV to join BCG

Please please please - do not have OC lose this title in battle royale of all matches

• Like 4