DVDVR Message Board

RIP DEAN RASMUSSEN

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the Wrestleforce America one

I totally forgot that it was Miss NWA 2002 who signed Dean's belly

I remember reading this one back in the day and telling myself that I was going to fly in to the RVA for one of these. Shit, I was probably drunk when I read it. Alas, I was in grad school and also working a full-time job. Also, seeing a lot of old names in there that I had forgotten. Fucking Raven Mack, damn. And (mul)Doomstone is a Facebook friend somehow. 

On 5/11/2023 at 12:47 PM, RIPPA said:

I apologize for saying "ya know" 552827559211098 times

I had to break it up into multiple sessions and just finished now - wonderful, wonderful job by all three of you. We were all very lucky to have DEAN, but he was equally lucky to have you guys, man. Major props to you, Schneider & Kris.

• Like 4

Really loved the episode and also the half hour tribute from last week.  Was fun hearing about RSPW more as that was before I joined in '05.  Was also fun hearing that while reading some of the road reports.  I laughed but also smiled when reading Dean talk about his family.  It's super obvious to say but the guy really was a gem and a half.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Oh man, listening to that reminded me of one of the only other times I interacted a lot with DEAN - maybe a couple of other people will remember this happening, like @CSC or @Ryan, but there was a night in IRC chat in probably 2002-ish where we, as a group, went on a huge bender of writing (often wildly inappropriate) haiku, just everybody taking turns, rapid-fire.  I remember one of mine was about Jessica Alba, though I don't remember what I wrote, and I had a couple of others that, in terms of content, I would cringe at now, but they got DEAN to say he was 'weeping manly tears' about it.  That was a highlight.

I don't remember that in particular, but I remember my nightly routine in the summers at the end of high school would be doing whatever stupid stuff I did in real life and coming home to find whatever madness was happening in the chat and if DEAN was there I would be dead silent because it's like walking in on the Godfather's conversation that little nervous 17-year old me would be way too scared to jump into and join but would just sit and listen under the learning tree.

Now if he WASN'T there, boy did you all get to hear about EVERYTHING that was going on and I still  can't decide if you all got a kick out of or just took pity in all my drama.   

Edited by CSC
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Pete said:

I'll always remember Dean regaling us about how much the Ashe statue's existence on Monument Avenue cheesed off certain people of a certain demographic in the RVA and how "they're just pissed that Ashe is the only one there who actually won anything." 😄

Wasn't it pointed out that the placement of the cannon pointing at ashe attested to said people being mad.

I mentioned to Mike that we technically have #182 issues - he said he will eventually add the "newer" issues but didn't feel a rush since they were on the main site

The irony being the main site now is what will most likely get flagged for various spam type things

• Like 2

RIP Dean first and foremost. Though I may not have interacted with him personally seeing how many people he touched and influenced is truly inspiring. He's basically the king of the smart wrestling fans and a tastemaker for so many. After hearing so many stories about the old days of tape trading it makes me yearn for the the enthusiasm that he had for this business.

• Like 4

On 5/12/2023 at 8:37 AM, RIPPA said:

Here is the Wrestleforce America one

I totally forgot that it was Miss NWA 2002 who signed Dean's belly

PR: I joked that Dean’s wife would come home on Monday to find Dean passed out on the couch naked, with the dogs licking his face and his belly would still be signed because he hadn’t showered.

Just died a million deaths for that. At work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

When I first joined the old "green board" back around 2005 or so, I remember interacting with Dean in regards to Buck Owens, who was his avatar picture for the longest time. He was definitely the heart and soul of this place forever, and he'll be missed. Most sincere condolences to his family and close friends.

Edited by ChrisM
  • Like 9

Someone mentioning how they should've done the lights out gimmick for Sabu's appearance on Dynamite tonight made me think of Dean's reviews whenever it would happen on a WWE show.

"Sabu!! The Undertaker! JAKE THE SNAKE~!"

And then it would just end up being, like, Edge or some shit.

🥲

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know it's been a few weeks now but I just wanted to say RIP DEAN and send some love to his family and friends

I've been a lurker here since the early 00's, posted under a different account in the green board days.  Found this place thanks to DEAN's relentless pimping of THE MIGHTY DEATH VALLEY DRIVER across the internet, I even remember seeing him in the AOL Grandstand in my earliest exposure to the IWC.  An absolute legend, right down to continuing to recap AEW from his hospital bed

• Like 17

On 6/8/2023 at 6:24 PM, writeradam84 said:

I talked a little bit about DEAN~! on the podcast called "On the Indies" that I'm a co-host on.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7lRiHkx9w7vms1Ea7kewRS?si=740c9865a3d84cc4

That was a really nice job you guys did, and while I don't want to speak for anyone else, I know that I too was definitely touched by the 'Share what you love' sentiment from Phil/Phil/Kris' tribute pod much in the same way you said you were. 

I thought of DEAN yesterday when I was watching Friday's Rampage on DVR - seeing Skye pick up the win in the main made me think about having watched her grow week by week on Dark - nothing filled me with more joy here than bullshitting with that guy about a good C show. I'm gonna be giving out Worldwide points until I see him again.

Well done! 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 8

I propose that we use a closed-system instance of the ChatGPT AI and train it on DEAN's posts/DVDVR writings/etc. We then give this to Tony Khan, and the DEANBot singularity can then be an eternal AEW Commissioner that makes rulings and pronouncements on TV.

An in-context example:

BCC attacks Elite in the ring; both groups fight each other

Booming voice heard over PA: "HI~!"

"If There is Something" by Roxy Music begins to play; everyone in the ring stops fighting and looks around in confusion

A circa-1980s high-school heavy-duty audio-visual cart with a large tube Zenith television perched on top self-propels itself onto the entrance ramp. There is a Max-Headroom-esque animated figure on its tv screen. This is AEW Commissioner DEANBot.

DEANBot: If it's a FIGHT that you all want, then you can all take an ass-beating like CHAMPS! I want to see you beat the CRUD out of each other. You GET ALLLLLLLL THIS. BLOOD & GUTS! RIGHT NOW!

A referee sprints into the ring, and the Blood & Guts cage begins to lower.

DEANBot: I AM DEAN. AEW RULES THE [expletive bleeped] WORLD~!

DEANBot's AV cart squeakily wheels an exit to the back.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

I’ve not been around here much recently (and have mostly lurked and at least tried to learn for the better part of 25 years, so I’m in no way “notable” ‘round these parts) because of real world shit, but I saw this news on Reddit, I guess, and was sorta speechless. I just want to say what a joy it was to interact with DEAN. Not just about wrestling, though it was mostly about wrestling. He just fucking LOVED the stuff he loved without reservation and while he was happy to crap on the stuff he didn’t care for, he was all about the good shit. 

If anything, that’s the “lesson” I’ve tried to learn from this board in general. It’s way more fun and fulfilling to gush about what I like than to dwell on what I don’t. 

I feel myself becoming nostalgic and prone to rambling so I will cut myself off, but yeah…RIP Dean. It’s been a pleasure to bullshit about pretty much anything over the years. Godspeed. 

• Like 9

I mentioned to Mike that we technically have #182 issues - he said he will eventually add the "newer" issues but didn't feel a rush since they were on the main site

The irony being the main site now is what will most likely get flagged for various spam type things

Well, at this point, multiple of the ads running on the board get flagged by Bitdefender, too.  Probably about 1 a week on average; just had a "multiple threats blocked" message.  Don't know if anything can be done about that.

But bringing this back to what it's supposed to be... this is always the stretch of time I think about wrestling the most, what with all the famous AJPW matches that were June dates.  It sucks he won't be around to shoot the shit about the 30th anniversary of 6/3/94; I don't know if he wrote the best review of it, since that one was JDW's baby and he explained the ins and outs as much as anyone possibly can, but DEAN really got at the energy of the match in a different way, above and beyond the simple "Oh, these guys were teammates and now they're rivals" aspect that I think American wrestling cheapens on a near-daily basis.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2023 at 7:01 PM, TimWresPowr said:

For those wanting to dig into the Burning Hammer podcast archive linked above: Dean is on episodes 1-20, 22-26, 28-30, 33-34, (no show notes for 35-72), 73 (interview w/Preston Quinn); ep. 74 (along with Brad Stutts), ep. 76, and ep. 83.  

Thank you so much for sharing these. I've been listening to these for the past month and I forgot how much fun we had just bullshitting about what we were watching and didn't watch what we were supposed to watch. DEAN laughing after everything he'd say just fills my heart, and me busting his balls over losing the New Japan set while rearranging his bedroom made me laugh thirteen years later.  And that Miranda Lambert song is still a banger.

"They're learning each other's language."
"That's what they're calling it these days?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve been off this site for the better part of a year because of the whole inability to scroll threads thing. Just too frustrating. Then I buy a new iPad and whaddya know, it works on DVDR! Then the first fucking thing I see is that DEAN has passed. GOD DAMN IT! RIP, Dean. Somewhere in heaven, a terlit is groaning.

• Like 3