DVDVR Message Board

RIP DEAN RASMUSSEN

RIPPA

If and when people feel ready and up to it, they should check out the Kris/Phil/Phil podcast. It, at times, felt like a loving Oral History of DVDVR without being absolutely trapped in a certain time and place. I'm grateful that it exists and I hope it helped all parties involved to record.

• Like 10

58 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If and when people feel ready and up to it, they should check out the Kris/Phil/Phil podcast. It, at times, felt like a loving Oral History of DVDVR without being absolutely trapped in a certain time and place. I'm grateful that it exists and I hope it helped all parties involved to record.

Listening to it now actually. Absolutely amazing stuff!

• Like 1

How much am I going to cry? I either have a bad cold or sinus infection and my head is already ringing like a gong.

Eh, fuck it, maybe a good cry will clear out some of this mucus.

• Like 1

To follow up on my previous post, just finished the show and it was great! Made me smile several times. Felt like I was there reminiscing with them. Schneider’s quote at the end “Find something you like and share it with people” really kind of inspired me. I’m definitely gonna run with that be it here, on Twitter or in my writing.

• Like 2

I'm 10 minutes in and this is fantastic. You guys were fucking wild.

The other thing this reminds me of so far is Ryan Davis. I made the comparison earlier on that Dean's passing feels like Ryan's, but hearing this little bit so far and it's so hard to not see so many comparisons between the two. 

I think if you ever got Dean and Ryan in the same room somehow for whatever reason that the universe would explode.

• Like 1

Oh man, listening to that reminded me of one of the only other times I interacted a lot with DEAN - maybe a couple of other people will remember this happening, like @CSC or @Ryan, but there was a night in IRC chat in probably 2002-ish where we, as a group, went on a huge bender of writing (often wildly inappropriate) haiku, just everybody taking turns, rapid-fire.  I remember one of mine was about Jessica Alba, though I don't remember what I wrote, and I had a couple of others that, in terms of content, I would cringe at now, but they got DEAN to say he was 'weeping manly tears' about it.  That was a highlight.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

I think it was one of the BlogTalkRadio shows where Dean talked about his coworker watching Liger with him and her deciding to treat Jushin Liger as a heel.

But yeah, the story about tapes with Emmett Smith highlights or Soul Train episodes was amazing too

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I think it was one of the BlogTalkRadio shows where Dean talked about his coworker watching Liger with him and her deciding to treat Jushin Liger as a heel.

But yeah, the story about tapes with Emmett Smith highlights or Soul Train episodes was amazing too

What I love about that story is I absolutely could see Dean doing the cowboys highlights on purpose to fuck with Rippa... But I can also absolutely see him just having a five minute Emmit Smith highlight real on a permanent tape and didn't even realize he was giving it to Phil.

9 hours ago, Jamie Virtue said:

Been reading some old DVDVR's and DEAN had some good hunches.

DVDVR Issue #5
"Flex Kavana was in the Power Spotlight and he seems like he will be impressive after a while."

Gonna get into that podcast momentarily. ❤️

I saw that too.

• Like 1

Just listened to the podcast.  Brought back some memories.....great stuff, guys.  Been a long time.

I'm pretty sure we did a Road Report for Rippa's wedding - a lot of stuff has unfortunately been lost over time.

EDIT: I have to look for the Road Reports for Wrestleforce America (DEAN~! gets his stomach signed) and the OMEGA Reunion (I think the only time we were all in the same place discussing 500 rankings).

Edited by Marcel
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the Wrestleforce America one

I totally forgot that it was Miss NWA 2002 who signed Dean's belly

I went to Dean's wake and there was a picture of him with sharpie writing on his chest pinned up on the Wall of Tribute.  Now I know the significance.

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the Wrestleforce America one

I totally forgot that it was Miss NWA 2002 who signed Dean's belly

And here's the OMEGA reunion. Still get the giggles for Dean snuggling up to me as we all crashed at his house after getting back.

About halfway through the podcast and the memories are flooding back. For all the talk about Dean being everyone's big brother, you could make a similar case that he was the mother hen... protective, loving and willing to throw down if necessary. RIPower.

• Like 5

As we drove down Monument Avenue, they also adore the statue of Arthur Ashe threatening children with Tennis and Learning. Later, I would show them the statue of Jefferson Davis throwing in the towel and they weep tender Yankee tears of pride and longing. (DR)

I am so happy this line exists because this was the EXACT way Dean gave me directions to his Richmond house the first time "You will turn left at Arthur Ashe threatening children. If you see Jefferson Davis throwing in the towel, you have gone to far"

• Haha 17

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am so happy this line exists because this was the EXACT way Dean gave me directions to his Richmond house the first time "You will turn left at Arthur Ashe threatening children. If you see Jefferson Davis throwing in the towel, you have gone to far"

Yes, the statue of Arthur Ashe does appear to depict him about to beat the shit out of some kids with a tennis racket because they disturbed him while he was trying to chose a book to read.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yes, the statue of Arthur Ashe does appear to depict him about to beat the shit out of some kids with a tennis racket because they disturbed him while he was trying to chose a book to read.

I'll always remember Dean regaling us about how much the Ashe statue's existence on Monument Avenue cheesed off certain people of a certain demographic in the RVA and how "they're just pissed that Ashe is the only one there who actually won anything." 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 4