DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

That’s ignoring the fact that the Rampage card is usually advertised with full screen graphics and they include the time the show airs.

I dunno, just seems kinda weird to complain about not knowing what time a preempted show is airing when you admit you aren’t paying attention to the show earlier in the week that gives you that information.

• Like 6

Was I complaining? Is it strange that I pay more attention to the matches on Dynamite than the stuff in between?

I think it's weirder that you went out of your way to tell everyone how weird you think it is.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I think AEW is being sold to the Saudi government and Rampage will base its airing day on an oversized novelty wheel. 

Imagine the number of pearls clutched if that happened. LOL. 

On 5/13/2023 at 10:34 PM, TheVileOne said:

If none of the backstage issues from September 2022 were truly resolved, how is this going to work out? 

Also, how can you make any money if guys are refusing to work with each other? Like why shouldn't Hangman and Punk be paired up again? Or Punk and Moxley?

They should only be paired up if Punk puts over Hangman clean and convincing.

That almost certainly won't happen.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 10:34 PM, TheVileOne said:

If none of the backstage issues from September 2022 were truly resolved, how is this going to work out? 

Also, how can you make any money if guys are refusing to work with each other? Like why shouldn't Hangman and Punk be paired up again? Or Punk and Moxley?

Beyond all the obvious bits, the interesting one to me is that if the info that has come out is relatively accurate the Bucks, Omega, and Hangman all have their contracts coming up in the not too distant future (end of this yearish I believe(?) for Bucks and Kenny I think, injuries make it tricky) and have the same agent. If anywhere near accurate this gives them a good amount of pull as if AEW tries to put their foot down and make them work with Punk then it just makes those negotiations much tougher and/or expensive. It also gives them all a card to play in "you want us to work with Punk, well we want X more per year out of all that new TV moneys".

So basically I think it will eventually work out one way or the other, but my 100% not particularly informed guess is that AEW is likely gonna have to spend money to try and make money here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

They should only be paired up if Punk puts over Hangman clean and convincing.

That almost certainly won't happen.

Punk is 45 and injury prone and has less matches left than what he's put in. There's no reason for him not to put over Hangman at some point.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

Elite vs FTR/Punk is happening in the U.S. if it happens.

They should do Hayter vs Saraya and put Hayter over clean as a sheet, though. 

If it doesn't happen then all parties involved are truly the worst and the biggest babies. Bigger babies than Michaels and Hart ever were.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Punk is 45 and injury prone and has less matches left than what he's put in. There's no reason for him not to put over Hangman at some point.

This is nonsense. I’ve seen this injury prone stuff pop up every time he’s discussed since the gripebomb. He’s was injured twice in 2022, and only one of those was from a match. The first injury was from his (cool, but stupid) pseudo stage-diving, and the second was during the Mox match at All Out.

Hangman should apologize before anything happens between them again in-ring. Again, whether you want to admit it or whether or not you understood it at the time, Hangman took the first shot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

You're assuming Punk wants what's best for AEW.  I suspect Punk would refuse to do it.  Hangman was hurt a good bit by that loss, to the point the long Mox feud was necessary rehabilitation.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

No logical reason. But we’re forgetting who’s involved. 

If I’m an AEW talent or administrator, I’d want to see Phil go down clean as a whistle for Hanger before making up my mind how I feel about his return…

Really can't wait for a horrifically overrated malcontent to come back to AEW.  I wish he and the Bucks would just fuck all the way off so we can enjoy everything else in AEW.

and yeah, Punk should put over Page because Page should've never lost to Punk in the first place.

CM Punk Mentions Reportedly Edited Out of AEW All Access

"During the latest Wresting Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer noted that episodes of AEW All Access had to be edited to remove mentions and allusions to CM Punk. Due to legal issues, everyone involved in the brawl after last year’s All Out is not allowed to talk about it. But a central storyline during All Access is the Bucks’ comeback to AEW after their suspension for being involved in the brawl.

The Bucks never mention Punk by name on the show because they’re not allowed. Meltzer noted they did interviews that hinted at what happened, but those were edited out as well. The reason for this was because of possible legal action. There are several people involved with the situation that want to talk about it, but their hands are tied."

Seems like this should probably be resolved before you bring the sue-happy guy back to your locker room, but what do I know

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Hangman should apologize before anything happens between them again in-ring. Again, whether you want to admit it or whether or not you understood it at the time, Hangman took the first shot.

Continuing to put all the blame for Punk's narcissistic scorched earth temper tantrums and subsequent total bitching out when his punk card is picked up on the one throwaway line from a Page promo is cute.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Man, it's going to be walking on egg shells keeping opposing parties away from one another instead of cooperation for the greater good. PPVs, TV, house shows, catering. The list goes on.

Edited by The Natural

I don't really have a side. I'd rather watch a CM Punk or Kenny Omega match than the Bucks. It's a shame shit wasn't sorted out sooner and the wound was left to fester. Hangman Page's barb in the lead to his AEW Double or Nothing 2022 match with Punk, Punk's retort and especially the infamous All Out 2022 press scrum.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Continuing to put all the blame for Punk's narcissistic scorched earth temper tantrums and subsequent total bitching out when his punk card is picked up on the one throwaway line from a Page promo is cute.

100000% this,especially when that manchild made his bones on "toeing the line" in his promos.  He's an absolute child and the quicker he goes away, the better.  I'd also like to point out, that while I'm not a Bucks guy(love Omega though), they're not out there throwing caution to the wind being publicly petulant and drawing attention to themselves in this situation. 

• Like 2

Who knows how accurate it is, but Wade Keller is now saying it's $240 million/year over 5 years, includes content streaming on Max.

If it's anything close to that, it's a home run.

• Like 1

I think an important thing to keep in mind in regards to the Punk/Bucks/Hangman/Omega stuff is that no one here knows anything that they haven't heard third, fourth, fifth or more-hand from someone probably reporting it at least second-hand. And even then, the news would have come from a very self-interested place. Now, I'm not saying it's not fun to speculate, but let's not take any of this as fact.

• Like 2