DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

4 hours ago, Casey said:

If we had to sacrifice the Dark shows to get Punk back, then so be it. Fuck it, let’s throw in Rampage too, just to make sure Punk sticks around. 😎

I wouldn't say I was ever a huge Punk guy. There was a brief point in early ROH I was into him probably because the straightedge stuff appealed. There were specific moments like the Survivor Series team when he was in ECW when he felt like a symbolic element of our internet fandom. Likewise the energy of the pipe bomb promo and what followed. The match that probably resonated the most to me was the Brock match for some reason. Him coming back helped me check out AEW but that was in part because it was can't miss.

But man, writing about him for the better part of a year was eye opening. Wrestling had moved on due to the PWG, CHIKARA, and NJPW influences and while there are elements of those I can appreciate, Punk was offering something entirely different, something more minimalist while still being big and weighty. Unfortunately, he probably did a ton to tank his influence across the locker room, but if he's there long enough and lays down enough track with matches on a week to week basis, it could do some good for generations to come.

As for tonight, while I really do want a fancam, Claudio vs Pillman, Jr. is way less interesting than Toni Storm vs Billie Starkz II.

• Like 4

Deeb is also a coach and producer, so maybe she’s moved back into that role. Hirsch just started in-ring training again in March, and Statlander still isn’t cleared (as of a few months ago - both could be by now and just waiting for the call).

• Like 4

General question: Who should be the person to end Orange Cassidy's streak?

OC's AA/INT title run has quietly turned into one of AEW's best angles. It's like a scaled down version of Taker's Mania streak. Started off innocuous enough, then about 2/3 of the way through it started becoming a huge deal where every match feels like high stakes, and each successive win taking more and more out of them. OC has helped himself a lot with a lot of MOTYC level work in his more recent defenses (particularly the Buddy Matthews match). It's at the point now where you can't just pass the title along, it's going to be mega heat for the next person to beat him.

With Callis' sudden turn, my vote is heel Takeshita. I'm not sold on the turn happening so soon, but since it has, this could make the most of it. Callis needs a new guy, and that guy has to actually accomplish something to justify leaving someone booked as strong as Kenny. I think they're missing a lot of potential with babyface Takeshita, but this is a good way to get him to that next level.

My second choice would be Swerve, who should have a bigger role than he does and would no doubt be great in that "bi-weekly banger tv match" role. The only thing is I'm not sure if it would be too much system shock if he went from this Rampage-level feud with Keith and Dustin all the way to one of the biggest wins AEW has to offer right now. No doubt he has the ability to pull it off, does TK as a writer?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

OC's AA/INT title run has quietly turned into one of AEW's best angles. It's like a scaled down version of Taker's Mania streak. Started off innocuous enough, then about 2/3 of the way through it started becoming a huge deal where every match feels like high stakes, and each successive win taking more and more out of them. OC has helped himself a lot with a lot of MOTYC level work in his more recent defenses (particularly the Buddy Matthews match). It's at the point now where you can't just pass the title along, it's going to be mega heat for the next person to beat him.

With Callis' sudden turn, my vote is heel Takeshita. I'm not sold on the turn happening so soon, but since it has, this could make the most of it. Callis needs a new guy, and that guy has to actually accomplish something to justify leaving someone booked as strong as Kenny. I think they're missing a lot of potential with babyface Takeshita, but this is a good way to get him to that next level.

My second choice would be Swerve, who should have a bigger role than he does and would no doubt be great in that "bi-weekly banger tv match" role. The only thing is I'm not sure if it would be too much system shock if he went from this Rampage-level feud with Keith and Dustin all the way to one of the biggest wins AEW has to offer right now. No doubt he has the ability to pull it off, does TK as a writer?

My extremely off the wall guess and this is entirely due to the upcoming All In London show... we're going to complete the story.

Anthony Ogogo's dramatic return.

Edited by porksweats
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Results from tonights House Rules in Corbin, KY:

Spoiler

*Hook(c) def. Ethan Page to retain the FTW Championship

*Christopher Daniels & Shawn Spears def. The Boys

*Toni Storm def. Billie Starkz

*Orange Cassidy & Darby Allin def. Big Bill & Lee Moriarty

*Tony Khan appeared in-ring to speak to the crowd.

*Powerhouse Hobbs def. Pat Buck with a powerslam.

*Claudio Castagnoli def. Brian Pillman Jr. via Giant Swing submission.

*FTR(c) def. The Gunns after the Shatter Machine to retain the AEW World Tag Team Championships

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Reveal hidden contents

*FTR(c) def. The Gunns after the Shatter Machine to retain the AEW World Tag Team Championships

Those poor bastards didn't get Jarrett.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

In what you may see as an upgrade, they promoted Hangman as Big Bill’s opponent and they got Orange Cassidy instead.

The tag match was promoted as is for a while. It's tomorrow where they're still promoting Page vs Bill since it's in VA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Hide contents

The team of Daniels/Spears sounds interesting to me in a way neither man alone sound.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Jay White  beating OC after beating Starks would legitimize him pretty easily in AEW as a main event level player.  Also being from New Zealand just about every matchup possible is international.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

Jay White  beating OC after beating Starks would legitimize him pretty easily in AEW as a main event level player.  Also being from New Zealand just about every matchup possible is international.

I endorse this.

Steel Cage Matches in AEW feel a big deal in AEW like they used to in WWF/E before Hell in a Cell and the Elimination Chamber stole the spot. Better still, the Dog Collar match with Cody vs. The late great Mr. Brodie Lee, CM Punk vs. MJF and Briscoes vs. FTR in ROH. Gave all three *****. Also how sparingly these stipulation matches are. Cody/Lee in October 2020, Punk/MJF in March 2022 and FTR/Briscoes December 2022.

Edited by The Natural

All I can think of when it comes to Jay White is when a friend of mine said "aioli is just mayonnaise they want you to pay an extra dollar for".

I will leave it to you, gentle reader, to decide whether Jay White is the aioli to Adam Cole's mayonnaise or vice versa (or to insult my friend's taste in emulsified condiments as I have on many an evening). That said, having watched both Jay White and Adam Cole for close to a decade I'd rather have guacamole.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

All I can think of when it comes to Jay White is when a friend of mine said "aioli is just mayonnaise they want you to pay an extra dollar for".

I will leave it to you, gentle reader, to decide whether Jay White is the aioli to Adam Cole's mayonnaise or vice versa (or to insult my friend's taste in emulsified condiments as I have on many an evening). That said, having watched both Jay White and Adam Cole for close to a decade I'd rather have guacamole.

This rules. And Ricky Starks is the guac…

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

I can't work it out, because Adam Cole is nowhere near as awesome as mayonnaise or aioli.

• Haha 4