DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

The deal is definitely done, but I would urge caution in that billion number. I’ve been the most bullish voice here on AEW’s new TV contract for a while now (been saying an increase to about $150mil/year is a given), but a billie sounds wild, even to me. I could see how you could justify that, and how AEW might want that number, with the addition of all the costs of running another weekly TV taping, giving up whatever YT meant to their bottom line, and especially if AEW really is giving up their PPV revenue to do MAX specials (which I’m still not sold on), but a billion still sounds like the kind of number someone would float so that whatever the real number is will feel like a disappointment (even though it will still be huge and a dagger in the heart of naysayers).

If that number turns out to be real, we should unban @A_K on the condition that he comes back and eats the biggest plate of shit imaginable. And then immediately ban him again.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4
  • Haha 12

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

The deal is definitely done, but I would urge caution in that billion number. I’ve been the most bullish voice here on AEW’s new TV contract for a while now (been saying an increase to about $150mil/year is a given), but a billie sounds wild, even to me. I could see how you could justify that, and how AEW might want that number, with the addition of all the costs of running another weekly TV taping, giving up whatever YT meant to their bottom line, and especially if AEW really is giving up their PPV revenue to do MAX specials (which I’m still not sold on), but a billion still sounds like the kind of number someone would float so that whatever the real number is will feel like a disappointment (even though it will still be huge and a dagger in the heart of naysayers).

If that number turns out to be real, we should unban @A_K on the condition that he comes back and eats the biggest plate of shit imaginable. And then immediately ban him again.

It also seems like the number being floated because that was WWE's Peacock deal. Which I mean... not a bad one to mirror considering recent inflation, and if you need to give up PPV shares, but I dunno about the legitimacy. We'll see.

That said, said ex-poster is probably due a crow sandwich either way.

• Like 4

Despite losing some of the very reasons for its existence, this stuff should probably be in the finances thread, but we carry on. I too am a little amazed how quickly people are just accepting this based off of relatively unreliable sources. As for PPV buys, even if they got all of that money which they don't, on an average of 175,000 buys per PPV (which is being generous) at 50 a pop, that's around 8.75 million, so 4 of those (as Forbidden Door is more complicated) is maybe $35 million a year. If they're giving them that as part of this, great, and even if it's a little less, there's a lot to say for easy exposure as part of the current WWE boom, for instance.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Matt D said:

If anyone hasn’t seen this match or even hasn’t seen it in years, this Nigel vs Danielson match is a great use of half an hour:

This is one of my all time favorite matches, a story-telling masterpiece. Nigel head-butting Danielson right in the eye socket is the absolute dirtiest heel move ever (Danielson had a previously detached retina vs. Morishima, and had been avoiding Nigel's head all match because he didn't want to give Nigel another concussion).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

This is one of my all time favorite matches, a story-telling masterpiece. Nigel head-butting Danielson right in the eye socket is the absolute dirtiest heel move ever (Danielson had a previously detached retina vs. Morishima, and had been avoiding Nigel's head all match because he didn't want to give Nigel another concussion).

IF they wanted to run back Danielson vs Nigel at All Out (as opposed to Danielson vs ZSJ for instance), then I'd hope that instead of making it celebratory, they played this out almost the exact same way, with Danielson wrestling carefully so as not to hurt Nigel and then Nigel turning on a dime and being a complete bastard by taking advantage of it in the most blatant, shameless way imaginable.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peck said:

So, in terms of an AEW graphic, would a TV deal be a “Tony Khan has a super, mega, grandiose, monstrous announcement this week on Dynamite!”?  

Is crowing about TV rights contracts on the wrestling show a thing? I’d assume most of what needs to be handled would be done through upfronts and press releases, and then the commentators constantly plug all the AEW content that can be found on Max (just Max, definitely not HBO Max).

• Like 2

Since (HBO)Max is probably my most-used streaming service already, I'm going to be so happy if I can watch AEW PPVs (or whatever they're called now) for "free" on there.

Is that a thing that might happen with this new deal?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Log said:

Since (HBO)Max is probably my most-used streaming service already, I'm going to be so happy if I can watch AEW PPVs (or whatever they're called now) for "free" on there.

Is that a thing that might happen with this new deal?

That’s what I’m assuming. After forbidden door everything will be on Max. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peck said:

So, in terms of an AEW graphic, would a TV deal be a “Tony Khan has a super, mega, grandiose, monstrous announcement this week on Dynamite!”?  

The graphic will say "MAX is ALL ELITE" and everyone will be hella confused and the clickbait sites will claim that this is a teaser that MJF signed a new contract.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Even if they (only) get an increase to $150 million per for five years that’s still 3/4 of a billion. I’m sure Tony won’t be losing much sleep over it if that’s the case. Plus I think your estimate is more in line with what Discovery would offer. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

The graphic will say "MAX is ALL ELITE" and everyone will be hella confused and the clickbait sites will claim that this is a teaser that MJF signed a new contract.

No no no, people will think AEW has acquired WBD. In a gesture of corporate synergy, Tony will refer to this as a “reverse viking.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Is crowing about TV rights contracts on the wrestling show a thing? I’d assume most of what needs to be handled would be done through upfronts and press releases, and then the commentators constantly plug all the AEW content that can be found on Max (just Max, definitely not HBO Max).

Meltzer said it would be announced at he Up Fronts next Wednesday, which will be at MSG of all places lol

32 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Meltzer said it would be announced at he Up Fronts next Wednesday, which will be at MSG of all places lol

My big takeaway from all of the news aggregation today is that other than that no one knows anything and probably won't for a week.

• Like 2

A billion does seem like a metric ton, BUT with the writers strike going on I can absolutely see the appeal of a wrestling show that doesn't have any writers. You don't have to worry about your content at all or it falling off. Couple that with Max involvement. Maybe 500 million seems a little more reasonable, but I can absolutely see why they would get such an influx of money.

• Like 3

Fightful now seems to be suggesting that Punk could be wrestling on the Collision debut. While a Jericho feud had been discussed, he’s apparently been angling for a “huge match” early in his return.

Reading the tea leaves of who normally comes up when he’s asked who he’d like to work with, it wouldn’t be surprising if he’d pitched a match with Danielson. 

• Like 2

The obvious route is Punk beating one of the Jacksons at the Collision pilot, giving the win back to Kenny at All In, then setting up a long program with Hangman after that. I guess that would involve everyone being professional, including Jericho having the self-awareness to realize he's not a part of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I do wonder if AEW will ever run there despite the exorbitant costs and red tape just to say they did it, especially given the last non-WWE event there was under NJPW and the old ROH regime. Tangentially related: My girlfriend had the Westminster Dog Show on last night, and we were sort of laughing to ourselves that they moved it from MSG to Arthur Ashe Stadium this year; clearly, the premier mecca for wrestling in NYC dictates placement. 

50 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Fightful now seems to be suggesting that Punk could be wrestling on the Collision debut. While a Jericho feud had been discussed, he’s apparently been angling for a “huge match” early in his return.

Reading the tea leaves of who normally comes up when he’s asked who he’d like to work with, it wouldn’t be surprising if he’d pitched a match with Danielson. 

While I'm curious to see what they could do in 2023 with a completely different type of presentation than their ROH or WWE encounters, assuming there is any truth to this rumor, it also wouldn't surprise me if Punk pitched going back to the well with some of the young guys he had good matches with already: Darby, Hobbs, MJF (irrespective of his status as World champion - you like to think they know better now...), Wardlow, and others

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Nevermind the main event of the premiere....the second episode of Collision is the night before Forbidden Door. Imagine the possibilities. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Nevermind the main event of the premiere....the second episode of Collision is the night before Forbidden Door. Imagine the possibilities. 

Oh shit, good call. Maybe we get the Tana match he was set for at the first one before he got hurt the first time

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

While I'm curious to see what they could do in 2023 with a completely different type of presentation than their ROH or WWE encounters, assuming there is any truth to this rumor, it also wouldn't surprise me if Punk pitched going back to the well with some of the young guys he had good matches with already: Darby, Hobbs, MJF (irrespective of his status as World champion - you like to think they know better now...), Wardlow, and others

Was it Punk or Danielson who had a match by request with Anthony Bowens?