DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

54 minutes ago, LF2 said:

You had no idea after numerous posters pointed it out? Come on. Own what you said, and don’t try to blame Cornette for it. That I’d respect. 

Come on man, just let it go.  Hanlon’s Razor and all that.

The guy said something offensive and then owned it and apologized.  That’s better than most, who would just double down and tell whoever called him out to fuck off.  I’m not a mod but, after seeing two shitty posters banned last week, maybe things are better and we can chill with the fucking with each other stuff.

• Like 13

On 5/15/2023 at 1:20 AM, Casey said:

This is nonsense. I’ve seen this injury prone stuff pop up every time he’s discussed since the gripebomb. He’s was injured twice in 2022, and only one of those was from a match. The first injury was from his (cool, but stupid) pseudo stage-diving, and the second was during the Mox match at All Out.

Hangman should apologize before anything happens between them again in-ring. Again, whether you want to admit it or whether or not you understood it at the time, Hangman took the first shot.

Yeah, that's a lot, especially happening so close together. Father time does no jobs.

• Like 2

Anything over a billion would be huge for AEW obviously (regardless of whether it's because of 'Collision' or streaming attached) because that's just a monster headline.  

"AEW inks billion-dollar multiyear deal with Warner Bros. Discovery" is an insane headline that nobody would have ever seen coming. 

• Like 2

Jack Perry making himself as unlikable as possible

‘Jungle Boy’ Jack Perry: Promos Aren’t My Favorite, I’ll Never Be Like MJF And Ask For 30 Minutes

Speaking with Simon Miller for WhatCulture Wrestling, Perry commented on his growth as a wrestler, both with his in-ring skills and with his promo abilities. He noted that he focused on wrestling when he was on the independent scene, and he stated that promos aren’t his favorite thing to do. However, Perry stated that he doesn’t worry about promos anymore, and he aims to improve.

“With the promo thing, I didn’t really think about that on the indies,” Perry said. “All I really wanted to do was wrestle. When I was a kid, I wanted to wrestle and do cool stuff. I feel like I’ve got that down for the most part, I feel pretty confident I can go in there with anyone in the world and throw down. The promo stuff, it was funny. I got a lot of flak in the beginning. I said, I was like, ‘Ah, I want to run away when they make me do it.’ People thought that was a literal thing.

“That’s an expression. It’s not my favorite thing to do. I’m never gonna be like MJF and show up and request 30 minutes to go out there and blabber on. But that being said, I don’t really care anymore. I’d like to improve a little every time as I go. It is what it is now. It’s gotta be done. I’m not that worried about it. I’m feeling more comfortable all the time, so we’ll see.”

5 hours ago, LF2 said:

You had no idea after numerous posters pointed it out? Come on. Own what you said, and don’t try to blame Cornette for it. That I’d respect. 

I thought you had me on ignore…

Edited by just drew

I know there was a Q&A recently with Jungle Boy, Anna Jay and Ruby where it seemed most thought Perry came off very poorly (I didn't want to sit through the 45 minute thing so this is all second hand), but this specific bit seems inoffensive?

• Like 1

Not that I think Jungle Boy is an excellent public speaker, but it seems like most of his comments are being blown way out of proportion by Cornette cultists and AEW haters, much like Hangman's "I don't take advice" comments. 

It's remarkable what a difference a couple of years makes. Not long ago, Cody Rhodes was being crucified for saying he focus-tested his promo.

The way I've heard it discussed, it sounds like he was at a con and it came off like he didn't want to be there, stiffed at least 1 person on what he paid for at his table and made it sound like he was a young guy who didn5 want to learn from veterans. 

Probably YMMV depending on your pov.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The way I've heard it discussed, it sounds like he was at a con and it came off like he didn't want to be there, stiffed at least 1 person on what he paid for at his table and made it sound like he was a young guy who didn5 want to learn from veterans. 

Probably YMMV depending on your pov.

This isn’t directed at you, but there is nothing that induces a bigger eye roll from me than “(whoever the fuck) doesn’t listen to veterans.” It seems like baseball and pro wrestling are the only two avenues where folks expect you to defer to the previous generation, even to the detriment of your own career. If Hulk Hogan had taken Verne Gagne’s advice, hulkamania would’ve never come to be. As much as I personally don’t care for the Bucks, I will give them credit for not doing what guys like Jim Cornette say they should do. I think it’s patently asinine that anyone would be upset by current, successful pro wrestlers potentially abandoning things that got them over because some has been doesn’t like it…

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, just drew said:

This isn’t directed at you, but there is nothing that induces a bigger eye roll from me than “(whoever the fuck) doesn’t listen to veterans.” It seems like baseball and pro wrestling are the only two avenues where folks expect you to defer to the previous generation, even to the detriment of your own career. If Hulk Hogan had taken Verne Gagne’s advice, hulkamania would’ve never come to be. As much as I personally don’t care for the Bucks, I will give them credit for not doing what guys like Jim Cornette say they should do. I think it’s patently asinine that anyone would be upset by current, successful pro wrestlers potentially abandoning things that got them over because some has been doesn’t like it…

I think there is some value to be had from listening to vets, but it depends on who. Like, if it's Disco Inferno we're talking about here, screw that. But like, if Ricky Steamboat is trying to give Perry advice on how to be a sympathetic babyface, maybe listen.

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Apparently Fightful is saying that there is going to be a hard brand split with just a few exceptions. Those absolute maniacs. What a solution.

Dang. 

The upfronts have started, so lots of questions should be answered very shortly. 

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Apparently Fightful is saying that there is going to be a hard brand split with just a few exceptions. Those absolute maniacs. What a solution.

From a logistics perspective I guess it makes sense to have an A and B squad that each only travel once a week but from a fan perspective that sucks ass.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I hope they bring the rankings back too on top of this, make it a full League.

First off, we don't know anything really. But it does seem more concrete.

It definitely works for me since all the wrestlers I don't like will probably end up on one brand and no longer taking up the time of a bunch of wrestlers I do like (which is about 85% of the roster anyway).

But it seems problematic when they're already having trouble drawing in a lot of places and when Khan is notoriously bad at pulling the trigger and booking a lot of key matches that people want to see the most. He's going to have to do that more now because of tighter pools. That said, if we're moving into an environment where they're flush with money and where the new WWE management wants to cut costs, who knows, right?

We sure don't! About anything but our own preferences and hypotheticals really.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, it *is* odd that at least half that poster are the known malcontents...

AEW Behavioral Purgatory with only Samoa Joe to keep people in line. It's like... Justified or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1