DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Just because I don't think my escapades in LA should die in last months thread because it happened at the end of the month: 

As of now this tweet has almost 80k views, which is crazy.

And me and my homie Minoru Suzuki:

And as a bonus, here's Socal legend Vinny Massaro doing some karaoke!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

I know there are more important issues to deal with on the Gisselle Shaw situation.  The biggest one being that you are in a huge WrestleCon convention filled with wrestlers and marks and just NOW people are mad at the shit that Rick Steiner said to her.   Lot of people have some explaining to do.    But the first thing I thought was that there is a certain son of Rick Steiner who is popularity by the minute having a huge match at NXT Stand and Deliver against the opposite of this in about 5 hours.   For his sake he is hoping that news doesn't travel fast and he is so wrong.

Absolutely insane to me that a guy with these kinds of beliefs was running for (someone correct me if I'm wrong) some kind of local Board of Ed. position recently; and I'd bet you lunch he'd be the first motherfucker to throw around the word 'groomer' derogatorily. Super disappointing, but then again, nothing about his television character ever really screamed 'genius' to begin with. 

Listen, I love you all - this place has been my first and last stop of the online day for literal decades now - but the emboldening of people to spout bullshit like this (publicly! As a semi-famous individual!! At an industry event!!!) over the last 6ish years or so has me coming to the conclusion that the invention of the Internet was probably a mistake (or at least widespread proliferation of it, as in 'in the pocket of everyone alive 24/7'). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Vince’s mustache looks way less silly than I was expecting.  Maybe it’s just a great photo, but I think he looks good with it.  Definitely looks younger in that photo.

edit: lol, I didn’t even notice he dyed his hair.  

I kinda hope he has a younger trophy girlfriend.  Of course, at Vince’s age, 58 is a younger woman.  I’m not a fan of people who cheat on their spouses but I also feel sorry for people who stay in loveless marriages for whatever reason.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Absolutely insane to me that a guy with these kinds of beliefs was running for (someone correct me if I'm wrong) some kind of local Board of Ed. position recently; and I'd bet you lunch he'd be the first motherfucker to throw around the word 'groomer' derogatorily. Super disappointing, but then again, nothing about his television character ever really screamed 'genius' to begin with. 

Listen, I love you all - this place has been my first and last stop of the online day for literal decades now - but the emboldening of people to spout bullshit like this (publicly! As a semi-famous individual!! At an industry event!!!) over the last 6ish years or so has me coming to the conclusion that the invention of the Internet was probably a mistake (or at least widespread proliferation of it, as in 'in the pocket of everyone alive 24/7'). 

Rick has been a member of the Cherokee County (GA) school board for 17 years. Haven't lived in that neck of the woods in four years, but I was taken aback at registering my daughter for kindergarten there back in 2017 and see his mug on a school board photo near the elementary school office. He's actually listed on the photo (as well as the county website) as -- ROBERT RECHSTEINER "RICK STEINER".

(As an aside, when my wife was undergoing cancer treatment and my parents came to Cherokee County to help me take care of our daughter, they went to the school one day to have lunch with her. When they came back, my dad asked out of the blue about the school board photo and mentioned "that Rechsteiner guy" looked familiar to him. I mentioned we saw he and his brother wrestler the Midnight Express at the Meadowlands. He just looked at me, said "oh," and walked out of the room.)

There had been some various scandals affecting the school board there over the years I lived in Cherokee County (I was there from 2012-2019), but few, if any, involved Rick. A few parents I knew who attended school board meetings said Rick generally said little, focused on work at hand and didn't "play politics." He got re-elected due to lack of opposition and name recognition. 

My daughter was only in that school district for kindergarten and the first three months of first grade (she moved to Colorado to finish first grade after her mom/my wife died) -- I didn't have any issues with her education there.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The biggest upset of all is that Vince’s mustache debuted in a photo with the Great Muta

Don't know what takes me more aback, Vince's facial fuzz or all that hair dye boot polish in the hair.

• Like 7

Excited to watch the “Jim Cornette talks about seeing Vince McMahon’s mustache” YouTube video while avoiding every single video of him talking about Wrestlemania

If any wrestling personality can put Vince in the context of Vincent Price and John Astin, it’ll be 60s TV fanatic Jim Cornette

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, colonial said:

didn't have any issues with her education there.

Thanks for the insight - I was worried he was somehow at least partially responsible for feeding the kids harmful info - you've seen the articles videos etc, I won't get into it . I guess that's a silver lining of sorts

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I have friends who live in Cherokee County and think a lot of Robert Rechsteiner.  About 10 years ago, he stepped up - for no real reason - to advocate for the family when their daughter was having an issue.   i’ve never met Rechsteiner but what I’ve heard about him over the years makes me think the people who live around him in Cherokee County think he’s a good person

You’re entitled to your opinion.  I don’t really think you’re entitled to the morally superiority bs.  Like I said, he stepped up for some friends, so I’m more offended by your post them I normally would be.

40 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

You’re entitled to your opinion.  I don’t really think you’re entitled to the morally superiority bs.  Like I said, he stepped up for some friends, so I’m more offended by your post them I normally would be.

That's fair. We've all got problematic friends, or are fans of people who have said some very dumb shit -  I'm not suggesting the guy's an irredeemable human being. I'm just, you know, 1000% sure people are also pretty offended by things like 'Youre a dude,' 'Youre a piece of trash,' 'You are filth,' 'Get the fuck out of here,' and 'faggot.' I wasn't trying to come across as morally superior, just as someone with morals.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

I know there are more important issues to deal with on the Gisselle Shaw situation.  The biggest one being that you are in a huge WrestleCon convention filled with wrestlers and marks and just NOW people are mad at the shit that Rick Steiner said to her.   Lot of people have some explaining to do.    But the first thing I thought was that there is a certain son of Rick Steiner who is popularity by the minute having a huge match at NXT Stand and Deliver against the opposite of this in about 5 hours.   For his sake he is hoping that news doesn't travel fast and he is so wrong.

It's quite possible people didn't know Rick was like this. 

• Like 1

Our good friend @JLowe asked me to post this here instead of where I did (in an AEW thread). Continuing off of @Matt D’s philosophy on match structure:

Didn’t want to overly ramble, but here’s brief thoughts on Wrestling Psychology to contribute to both the discussion had and potential conversations going forward.

44-E95-E04-BBAC-4-B7-C-84-A7-22-D8-B8-EC

Narrative - The story being told. Usually told in a traditional story arc, does what’s being done in the ring make sense based on the world or environment the story is being told? This can also be done in more experimental ways as well, but the heart of storytelling is having something the audience can follow along with or be moved by, consciously or subconsciously.

Spots - Often “High Spots” or “Moments” these are the exciting pieces of a match. The highlight reel. Flipping or weapons or comedic relief, etc. If combined with story, be it a moment as a callback or a built to spot or even momentum changing move. Spots are a wonderful tool in Wrestling Psychology. OR, everything is built around spots. Utter chaos of throwing a toaster at a guy’s head or a sequence of high flying acrobatics. That’s fine too, in some environments. 

Crowd Reading - I wish I could think of a better title for this but that’s usually how I hear it being referred to. Literally reacting to the crowd. The crowd wants a chop, you give ‘em a chop. I remember hearing Adam Cole on a podcast talk about how he learned to build a match like a rollercoaster. Pacing of the action and the slowed down anticipation of being down and being patient enough to wait and then give them more action. I’m paraphrasing but I think it was on Unrestricted. A good use of crowd reading would be Jerry Lynn talking about a match he was having at a small town show with a X-Division guy (don’t remember who) and the crowd gave no reaction to their usually exciting sequences of spots. Someone yelled out something about Lynn’s hair being long and Jerry reacted by flipping his hair and giving a look and the crowd laughed. Low hanging fruit but it got the audience on their side and it became a comedy match. Story likely went out the window, but in that moment, it was the right use of Wrestling Psychology. Combing an ability to get more out of a crowd along with the Story you are telling and even to milk a Spot, hot diggity dog!

Wrestling Psychology is all of these things. Ideally, (or at least how I like it) a wrestler or match can combine these elements. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's fair. We've all got problematic friends, or are fans of people who have said some very dumb shit -  I'm not suggesting the guy's an irredeemable human being. I'm just, you know, 1000% sure people are also pretty offended by things like 'Youre a dude,' 'Youre a piece of trash,' 'You are filth,' 'Get the fuck out of here,' and 'faggot.' I wasn't trying to come across as morally superior, just as someone with morals.

No, don't back track. Doing one good deed doesn't make you a good person when you're publicly popping off at the mouth like the racist uncle of a generation gone by. Saying transphobic things like that negates good deeds. At heart he's a hateful garbage person and I would suggest his good deed was probably done as a way to over compensate for knowing deep down he's a garbage person.

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

If you think standing up for the equal ethical treatment of everyone is "morally superiority bs" then maybe this is a you problem and not a him problem. You shouldn't let one good deed of someone cloud your judgement. Bad people can do good deeds all day long. It doesn't erase nor exonerate them if they then go and do a shitty thing. And make no mistake about it this was a SHITTY thing.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I have friends who live in Cherokee County and think a lot of Robert Rechsteiner.  About 10 years ago, he stepped up - for no real reason - to advocate for the family when their daughter was having an issue.   i’ve never met Rechsteiner but what I’ve heard about him over the years makes me think the people who live around him in Cherokee County think he’s a good person

Weren't you going to stop posting because this place didn't feel like a welcoming community to you? 

Then you have the nerve to post some shit defending the open transphobe, which is unwelcoming to members of the community who I miss like Stef the Human. 

I wish you would touch grass like you said you were going to do instead of being offended that people have doubts about the shitty transphobe because he did something nice for your friend once. No one cares. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Hmmm.... ok..

Fuck you, you self-righteous asshole.

How's that for morally superior and entitled.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 8