DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/29/2023

The Natural

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Be interesting to see how Kenny Omega wins. The best finishers can be applied to anyone. A One Winged Angel on someone Jeff Cobb's size would be a legit holy shit. Probably a combo of V-Trigger's put Cobb down for the three.

2 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

...Cobb is smaller than Kenny

Just parlaying off our good friend @The Natural thoughts from earlier.

And for a more serious comments, Jamie Hayter really tried throwing that lariat. That's one of the reasons she's my favorite female wrestler going right now. She lays her shit in. Love her believability and fire. So glad Tony put the strap on her and are letting her do her thing. She's such a fantastic ass kicker.

Edited by Krone
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I almost thought we were gonna get some more Rocky 3 booking with Kenny losing his title after losing his focus because his manager got hurt in the back right before the fight. Great match it ended up being. Omega using his NJPW music for IWGP matches is a nice touch.

Bryan was always the heel-leaning one initially of the BCC, so I thought they were switching it around now and was surprised by the full-on heel turn for Bryan, especially after his last 'going home' promo. But should be interesting.

Another fun Orange defense. I bought the near fall for a second when Blade came back with the crowbar.  RIHO vs Jamie is gonna be awesome.

Good solid main event, another good showing from Garcia. Cole vs Jericho does at least seem like a fresh pairing. Good show overall

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Krone said:

Just parlaying off our good friend @The Natural thoughts from earlier.

And for a more serious comments, Jamie Hayter really tried throwing that lariat. That's one of the reasons she's my favorite female wrestler going right now. She lays her shit in. Love her believability and fire. So glad Tony put the strap on her and are letting her do her thing. She's such a fantastic ass kicker.

Cheers, @Krone.

Count me as a Jamie Hayter fan also, friend. Man, Hayter put everything into that lariat finisher of her's. Please give me Mercedes Mone vs. Jamie Hayter at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Made it most of the way through. I still have to hit the main later, for which I have hope and dread.

• Thought Hardy vs Jungle Boy was very good. Hardy's a top five guy in the company when it comes to match layout, no matter what you think about his mobility. DEAN nailed it in that it was awesome pro wrestling bullshit that the crowd was split to start and through no fault at all of Hardy, got completely behind Jungle Boy. All of the Page cutoffs were expertly done. Loved the use of the side effect here, the caught dive and then the payoff later, the payoff to the third (only conventional) side effect getting reversed to set up the finishing. And the superplex! Used well, impactful, meaningful, at an appropriate point in the match. All good stuff. Post match promo was ok. A little too much "I wish I was a terrible person too!" The crowd went for it but he could have maybe framed that a little bit better.
  • BCC robbed us of the Radio Gaga portion of the Castle theme. But that 30 minute period where BCC was just running through everyone was pretty great. The Callis stuff couldn't have gone better (so long as he's ok). He just kept his hand out from Hangman not shaking it to Mox nailing him. Defines Callis perfectly. The Danielson thing felt a little weird. "I'm going home.... .... Ok, I'm back. Brie says hi." I do think this angle has been good so far, but it's not leading to a single match I want to see. I can't even imagine one, straining. Maybe Yuta vs Cutler? Babyface Claudio vs Cutler would have been fun but that ship has sailed. Maybe Renee vs Callis? That'd be pretty good.
  • Cassidy vs Butcher played a lot better in the international feed, I imagine. I liked how Butcher had an answer to most of Cassidy's stuff for a lot of the match and it was all on Cassidy to counter counters to survive. Looks like they're headed towards House of Black vs Best Friends/OC which is going to be fresh and fun. 
  • Ruby's character stuff against Willow was really good, both the begging off and the rubbing in. She's carrying this angle on her shoulders. 
  • The lighting in that promo made Juice Robinson look like Hornswoggle. Sorry.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lot of music changes this episode: Claudio's theme is now just the classical 1812 overture; Kenny reverting to his NJPW theme (maybe due to defending NJPW title); Daniel Garcia tune change also. Odd to have that many in one episode since entrance themes are such a huge part of a wrestlers presentation. This is also why I hate how much House of Black chop and change their entrance themes (don't get me wrong, I love all of them, especially some God's Hate) but that lack of consistency bugs me.

Still think Takeshita with Callis joins BCC, so who do Elite plus Hanger pick as 5th man, ibushi?

• Like 1

Part of the fun in watching AEW now is Cindy reacting to everything.

"Oh, the preppie douchebag (MJF)."
"Orange Cassidy? Like the color? The fruit?"
"Why the hell do you still watch this?" 😄

Then again she perked up a bit when I mentioned Jungle Boy was Luke Perry's son. 

The Outcasts vs Originals feud is 1-2 wrestlers from really blowing up. People are talking about Mone being the game changer, but I don't see her getting dropped into it. I'm guessing Thunder Rosa will be the tipping point if/when she comes back.

• Like 1

Pushing Danielson as a top heel is never a bad idea imo. Both of the last times he had a heel run (WWE planet's champion->evil mob boss and the early AEW run) he pretty much immediately established himself as the most compelling dickhead heel in the business, and both times he just sort of got reverted back face prematurely without much fanfare while there was still plenty of mileage in it

maybe they can commit to him as the deranged mob boss ordering the bigger guys around thing again idk

I guess he went home to think and realised the reason he was so upset was that lost to MJF because he wasn't evil enough

• Like 1

Did everyone else assume Danielson was going to be gone for months and months and then return as the most super babyface ever? Although if that happened he'd pretty much have to fight MJF again to try to get revenge and I don't think they want to go back to that feud anytime soon so I'm happy with how this played out. 

Only real caveat for me was Danielson's dumb "you're everything that's wrong with wrestling!!" line to Omega. We have enough counterproductive shooty promos on a weekly basis in AEW without framing this feud as shooters vs video game wrestlers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kind of a meh episode of Dynamite after last week's great show.

Danielson turn was extremely predictable and poorly sold by the announcers, but it did get the right crowd reaction so they're definitely onto something with Hangman as the babyface ace. It's also nice to see a top heel stable without Jericho as the centerpiece.

Overall, this program had way too much heel dominance. The BCC angle was cool enough, but OC getting dominated by Butcher and not winning clean, injured/distracted Omega giving most of the match to un-over Cobb, Cole giving most of the match to lower-ranked Garcia, Willow and Riho looking like total idiots against the Outcasts. Even when the faces did get a moment, it didn't compensate and the crowd wasn't as into it as they should be.

The “Defending the TNT Title takes a toll” storyline has been a thing almost as long as the TNT title has existed, so Orange starting to show weakness makes sense.

• Like 4

Give me Omega vs Danielson II as an hour long draw. Post match beat down. Claudio rag dolls the Young Bucks. Leads to Anarchy in the Arena or Blood and Guts (whichever the female stable warfare doesn’t do) and we all profit. After BCC avenge Phil’s dog, Callis leaves the Elite for an evil Takeshita for Omega’s next feud. 

Then 2 years later we can get Omega vs Danielson III.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

PWInsider is reporting that Callis was busted hardway from really cracking his head on the floor. 

I'll be the third NO vote on that. Personally, I thought it was foreshadowing a Callis turn - I forget who said it here the other week about Stu Dos, but I immediately thought of that comment, and the whole 'Mox has to bleed with you before you can be in BCC' thing

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Ingles

Gotta give it up for the guy with a Daniel Tosh sign and Tosh.0 shirt in the front row for winning the coveted Weirdest Fucking Guy At Dynamite In A While award.

I've always thought of the Butcher as a guy whose cool look writes checks that his actual work couldn't cash, but I feel like he's come a long way since coming back from his injury/hiatus.  He's figured out how to really throw his weight around and do stuff that's both logical and impactful.  I feel like he's on track to fill the Lance Archer role of mid-card monster.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Gotta give it up for the guy with a Daniel Tosh sign and Tosh.0 shirt in the front row for winning the coveted Weirdest Fucking Guy At Dynamite In A While award.

Previous winner was the "I really hate James Gunn/love Zack Snyder" guy.

• Like 3

Re: 5th man talk for Blood and Guts, War Games could be either 4v4 or 5v5 back in the day. No need to stick with one just because that's what they've been doing. And if Cole were in the mix, they'd probably already have started the long, slow process of bringing him back into the fold like they have with Page. Instead, he's clearly slotted with Jericho. The squads should clearly be Kenny/Bucks/Hangman vs Mox/Danielson/Claudio/Yuta. Adding guys at this point just seems to be overthinking it. 

• Like 4

So it seems that the story progression is that Hangman forced Mox to tap, so Mox is going scorched earth on anyone and everyone close to Hangman in any capacity?  Also, Hangman has victories over Mox, Danielson and Yuta, can we get a Claudio/Hangman match sometime extremely soon?

• Like 2

Is one of the Bucks legit hurt with a bicep tear? Can pivot, keep Takeshita as a face and he can take their spot. 

Personally think it was hardway, you can see a droplet of blood literally as soon as he hits the floor near his arm. Unless he's a magician I reckon it was hardway.

Both the best and most irritating part of this show took place during the Ruby v Willow segment. The worst - Toni cheating right squarely in front of Aubrey to no admonishment. Ugh, in general, just so tired of all the ppl around ringside. Give me a manager's license for fuck sake. I'd almost prefer more shit finishes if we so badly need to protect ppl. If it's to get more ppl on TV then, okay, I subscribe to the bloated roster theory. Enough of the Gedo/Bullet Club booking of every top heel lady. Moving on, the best part of this show (if not Danielson's fabulous heel turn) was Jamie Hayter's run in, and specifically the momentum of her missed Lariat. Fucking incredible! 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Both the best and most irritating part of this show took place during the Ruby v Willow segment. The worst - Toni cheating right squarely in front of Aubrey to no admonishment. Ugh, in general, just so tired of all the ppl around ringside. Give me a manager's license for fuck sake. I'd almost prefer more shit finishes if we so badly need to protect ppl. If it's to get more ppl on TV then, okay, I subscribe to the bloated roster theory. Enough of the Gedo/Bullet Club booking of every top heel lady. Moving on, the best part of this show (if not Danielson's fabulous heel turn) was Jamie Hayter's run in, and specifically the momentum of her missed Lariat. Fucking incredible! 

I do love a missed move where it looks like, if it would have hit, it might've killed the recipient.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dog said:

What was this in reference to??

All of it, my friend. All of it. For some reason OC's entrance really cheesed her off in this specific moment. 😄

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Just to be safe, ban all signs. 

Dude is front and center and half the time he's not even fucking watching the show and the other half he has his dumb as fuck tosh.0 sign up and I don't even know if tosh.0 is even still on air.

Fucking idiots.

• Like 1