DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/29/2023

The Natural

1 hour ago, Leonidas said:

Is one of the Bucks legit hurt with a bicep tear? Can pivot, keep Takeshita as a face and he can take their spot. 

Personally think it was hardway, you can see a droplet of blood literally as soon as he hits the floor near his arm. Unless he's a magician I reckon it was hardway.

Yes. Matt legit has a partial bicep tear and he's opting for rehab instead of surgery. Nick's shoulder separation is worked.

1 hour ago, Log said:

Previous winner was the "I really hate James Gunn/love Zack Snyder" guy.

Snyderverse Guy is at least an established and familiar typology of weirdo.  The existence of Daniel Tosh Superfans is something I'm going to have to sit with a while to get used to.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Just to be safe, ban all signs. 

There has been one good sign on Dynamite ever and it was the cartoon of Hook crossfacing a blunt last 4/20

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

There has been one good sign on Dynamite ever and it was the cartoon of Hook crossfacing a blunt last 4/20

I'd throw an honorable mention to Jade replacing the Queen on the Canadian $20 bill. But yeah, in general there's a lot of lame "look at me" garbage and it's not worth it. And that's before you take into account the potential to obstruct the view of people who've paid good money to attend. 

• Like 3

I think MJF was at least partially referencing Kanye interrupting T Swift, fwiw. It was only partially implied anti semitism. Fwiw, I really liked that segment. MJF’s promos are better when they aren’t driven by the desire for cheap heat…

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'd throw an honorable mention to Jade replacing the Queen on the Canadian $20 bill. But yeah, in general there's a lot of lame "look at me" garbage and it's not worth it. And that's before you take into account the potential to obstruct the view of people who've paid good money to attend. 

I miss the early, sillier AEW crowds where people, not in the fucking front row, would bring signs saying which RPG was best. I thought that stuff was pretty cute.

BTW, am I alone in really hating Juice as a heel in AEW? I didn't have this much of a problem with him in NJPW in Bullet Club and he was awesome as a babyface, especially with his post match promos that always seemed like they were from the heart, but he's so annoying in AEW and sounds like a cartoon character. It's like he's trying to do the worst unhinged Brian Pillman impression ever.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Last night's show was pretty good. The MJF/Jack Perry promo was good. I agree with the notion that MJF is so much better when he's not going for cheap heat.

I like how the BCC has gone full heel. Just destroying Dalton & The Boys. Not even giving them a chance to shine for a moment. Later in the night Danielson turning bad was great. Now you got four guys just interested in hurting people. Nothing wrong with that.

Good to see Adam Cole back. He looked in good shape and form. But were the streamers really necessary after the match? I look forward to the eventual Cole/Jericho match.

We’ll see what the QHs say but not a lot really happened in the second hour before Cole’s match.

First Hour: Jungle Boy, BCC beat downs, Omega

Second Hour: Orange Cassidy, filler, obligatory women’s match at the same time they run women’s matches every week, filler, and then Cole/Garcia.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

We’ll see what the QHs say but not a lot really happened in the second hour before Cole’s match.

Second Hour: Orange Cassidy, filler, obligatory women’s match at the same time they run women’s matches every week, filler, and then Cole/Garcia.

If he’s the star they’re attempting to present him as it doesn’t matter what else happens. There’s this idea that he’s supposed to be the guy you build around and it’s never been true. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There wasn’t really any drama about who’d win Cole’s return match unless you’re totally unfamiliar with the show. And they say AEW casual fans don’t exist so.

Not to mention that main events are really more just “last matches of the night” with how little they really get hyped during the show.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Matt D said:

In positive news, Cole is in fact a better babyface than he is a heel. That’s a relief.

In POMO wrestling, it's hard to square heel Adam Cole with lovable game nerd Chugs. Just let him be a babyface 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

BTW, am I alone in really hating Juice as a heel in AEW? I didn't have this much of a problem with him in NJPW in Bullet Club and he was awesome as a babyface, especially with his post match promos that always seemed like they were from the heart, but he's so annoying in AEW and sounds like a cartoon character. It's like he's trying to do the worst unhinged Brian Pillman impression ever.

Juice has been lost ever since NJPW buried him by just feeding him to Mox then he cut his dreads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I think MJF was at least partially referencing Kanye interrupting T Swift, fwiw. It was only partially implied anti semitism. Fwiw, I really liked that segment. MJF’s promos are better when they aren’t driven by the desire for cheap heat…

That was a cheap heat promo too, in a way.  He keeps doing this thing where every time the crowd isn’t reacting, he stops the promo and says something to or about the crowd to get them booing again.  It’s cheap and lame.  It’s like he freaks out and panics if he’s not getting “heat” at any given time and goes to the tried and true corny bullshit like a safety blanket.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Shh you’re gonna kill @just drew and the wonderful anti Cole, Omega, Bucks narrative they always post. Yes what you said is factually correct, but Drew can’t take his blinders off long enough to see Adam Cole is a talent, and belongs higher up the card than 3/4 of what was presented last night.

53 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That was a cheap heat promo too, in a way.  He keeps doing this thing where every time the crowd isn’t reacting, he stops the promo and says something to or about the crowd to get them booing again.  It’s cheap and lame.  It’s like he freaks out and panics if he’s not getting “heat” at any given time and goes to the tried and true corny bullshit like a safety blanket.

I hadn’t considered that. That’s a fair point. I thought a lot of that promo was really good, but you aren’t wrong about this…

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Shh you’re gonna kill @just drew and the wonderful anti Cole, Omega, Bucks narrative they always post. Yes what you said is factually correct, but Drew can’t take his blinders off long enough to see Adam Cole is a talent, and belongs higher up the card than 3/4 of what was presented last night.

I never said he isn’t talented. I said he isn’t a draw or top guy, and I’ve yet to see any number that disputes that. There’s a reason nXt isn’t on Wednesdays anymore. Shawn got a man crush on a guy who can’t draw money with a green crayon, and for whatever reason TK abandons all objective analysis when it comes to Cole. How many shows does a guy get to sink before TK has the good sense to pivot to someone who doesn’t actively repel viewers?

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

He is literally the worst. The voice, the facials, the Aces & Eights outfit. It carries over into his work too via his selling and mannerisms. He's the only guy on the roster I just ffwd through whenever I'm not watching live, no matter who he's working with. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Heel Juice Robinson is awful, whether he's in New Japan or AEW. I don't understand turning him when he was so charasmatic as a babyface. I'm also not sure how I feel about heel David Finlay yet. Perhaps, we'll get a FinJuice match at Forbidden Door II. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

Probably my favorite Bay Bay match , but I do wish move like Piledrivers, superkicks and ddts whete a bit more protected.

bad night for idiot refs why on earth would the ref not through out OC v Butcher after OC was attacked?

also Sayara interferened right in front of Aubrey, also bit of a bad finish Ruby appeared to have zero leverage to hold down Wilows shoulders

everything else was good

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Just to be safe, ban all signs. 

I wish that all of the wrestling companies banned signs. Unfortunately for me most of them have banned cameras. Pisses me off. I won't go to AEW and now MLW because of the camera ban. The sign jerks should be like Japan and hold up the signs at chin level while still seated. Down in front assholes!

• Like 1

I want a heel gimmick/parody of MJF cheap heat where they just spend 10 minutes going around ringside and ripping up everyone's signs. Inevitably it'd be organically over as a face act, and the eventual face turn when they think better of ripping up a kid's sign seems an easy one.

But also given it would encourage more douchey signs, I'm less inclined to really push for it.

• Haha 2