DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2023

7 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

David Corenswet has been cast as Superman.

His biggest stuff has been Pearl (the prequel to X) and Hollywood (the Ryan Murphy pandemic-era miniseries all your gay friends hated).  

But like I said earlier... that dude *definitely* looks the part. 

23 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

His biggest stuff has been Pearl (the prequel to X) and Hollywood (the Ryan Murphy pandemic-era miniseries all your gay friends hated).  

But like I said earlier... that dude *definitely* looks the part. 

He was allegedly in We Own This City, but I have no memory of him in a cast with so many more famous dynamic people. Likewise, I remember there being a vaguely handsome projectionist in Pearl, but that’s the Mia Goth show and I couldn’t remember much he did. And I’m not watching the Ryan Murphy Netflix stuff, so who knows. Saw a clip earlier where I could see some Clark Kent energy, so who knows. Looks the part AND is 6’4”!

Very excited for Rachel if they’re gonna give us some His Girl Friday vibes with the new Lois. 

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if you could do Superman and not start with Luthor as the baddie? Famousl;y, his rogues gallery pales to flash, Batman and Spider-Man. Would people be happy with, say Mongol or Brainiac first and then Lex? 

Lex doesn't need to be the main villain, but it would feel off if he wasn't around at all. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't have a huge role in this movie.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Guessing Gunn could do a quite creepy Toyman or Prankster. 

I would love to see a Toyman based off of the creepy version from the 90s cartoon.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

David Corenswet has been cast as Superman. Rachel Brosnahan has been cast as Lois Lane.

Excellent casting.   David looks the part and Rachel should easily be able to pull off Lois Lane.

12 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

All the respect in the world for Hoult, but I’m happy people appear to collectively be nudging him to stay in his lane. 

Indeed.  If Hoult does not shave his head and chew on scenery as Lex Luthor, I will be disappointed.

As far as villains go, Gunn chose silly ass Starro as the BBEG for The Suicide Squad and put all of the onus on the Polka-Dot Man and Ratcatcher II, so I totally believe that in his Superman joint, we'd get Prankster, Toyman, or Metallo before Braniac, Bizarro, or even Mister Mxyzptlk.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 5:57 AM, The Natural said:

Batman films I've seen at the cinema:

Batman (1989) re-release for the 30th Anniversary.

Batman Returns (1992) re-release for the 30th Anniversary.

Batman Forever (1995).

Batman and Robin (1997).

Batman Begins (2005).

The Dark Knight (2008).

The Dark Knight Rises (2012).

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016).

The LEGO Batman Movie (2017).

The Batman (2022).

Of those I hold Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Batman as the best experiences. I paid extra for the first screening of The Dark Knight in IMAX. Only film I've ever seen twice on the silver screen. I really want to see Batman (1966) and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) at the cinema.

I saw Dark Knight 8 times in the theatre. I loved it that much.

• Like 1

David Corenswet looks like Baby Henry Cavill, so that's alright by me. 

I've also been waiting for about forever to get Brainiac as the main villain in a Superman film. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

David Corenswet looks like Baby Henry Cavill, so that's alright by me. 

I've also been waiting for about forever to get Brainiac as the main villain in a Superman film. 

Hoping Brainiac is the main baddie with Lex Luthor in a side role. Luthor gets a bigger part in the second or third film.

What I'd like to see on the next Superman suit:

Bright colours.

The shield on the cape.

The traditional shield on the chest or the Max Fleischer one.

Trunks.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me Fillion is both a bit too old and too charming to be Guy. Fillion is a good cad, but Guy is a boor. There's a difference.

I hope Mr Terrific has the big T on his face.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, elizium said:

too terrible of an actor

oh my fucking god, thank you. I’ve felt like I’ve been alone on this island ever since Firefly. Comic book fans wanting him cast in everything and anything DC or Marvel for the past like 15 years has been infuriating for me.

• Like 1

Well the villains of this movie are supposedly

Spoiler

The Authority.  Which means we're probably getting characters on screen like Manchester Black, Midnighter, Steel, and I dunno, Jenny Quantum?  

It's James Gunn, so who the hell knows for certain.  

EDIT -- Almost certainly Vigilante will be in this, since Gunn did say we'd see him again before Peacemaker Season 2. 

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

More superman casting: Anthony Carrigan (NoHo Hank from Barry) as Metamorpho and John Mulaney as Plastic Man.

This casting?  This I like.

Mulaney as Plastic Man apparently isn’t confirmed/was a joke spread on Twitter.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Mulaney as Plastic Man apparently isn’t confirmed/was a joke spread on Twitter.

He’d be a pretty good Plastic Man, honestly.

This is an Elongated Man house, tho

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:47 PM, Zimbra said:

Mulaney would make an amazing Ralph Dibny

On 7/12/2023 at 9:52 PM, JonnyLaw said:

I admittedly haven’t seen much of his actual acting, but I feel like he may have a hard time pulling of a Ralph/Sue dynamic.  Plastic Man, he’d knock out of the park.

Well, given how much of his old stand-up was based on being a 'wife guy' and then divorcing her, yeah, I'm having a hard time seeing it, too.

(Then again, thinking about Mulaney always gives me a laugh, because apparently Olivia Munn knew Aaron Rodgers was too crazy to stay with but let Mulaney knock her up - that never stops being funny)