DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2023

Q&A with Gunn/Safran:

Spoiler

James Gunn, why did you want to do this?
James Gunn: I wanted to take care of these characters. And we all know it’s been a fucked-up road for many of them for the past few years, and things haven’t been together—and I really thought, it is a challenge, but I think it’s a possibility to create something really wonderful with these characters. I can’t go into politics. I can’t do anything with science. So the only thing I can do for this planet is to create stories about love. And that’s what I think that we can do over the next eight to 10 years.

So what exactly is DC Studios?
Peter Safran: DC Studios is just a standalone studio production entity. And it’s unprecedented because it’s the first time ever that all film, all television, live action, animation, and gaming is all centralized under one creative vision. So that was a big deal for [Warner Bros. CEO David] Zaslav, was the idea of creating a standalone entity where there could be a unified creative vision and, you know, everything centralized under James and myself.

What were your thoughts on DC movies before you came on board?
Gunn: The history has been shit. It’s been a real fucked up journey for DC. I think that there was basically no one minding the mint and they were giving out IP to any creatives that, you know, smiled at whoever was in charge. There was never any real power given to the people in charge. And so somebody could always go over their head and do whatever they wanted. And, you know, we had the DCEU, which then became the Joss Whedon Justice League, but it also became the Snyderverse, which became this. And we have Wonder Woman and we have Wonder Woman [1984], which doesn’t even match what happened in Wonder Woman one. And then we have the Arrowverse and even us, coming in with The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. And then all of a sudden Batmite is a real guy.

Where does The Suicide Squad fit in?
Gunn: Some things are like a rough memory of what happens in the DCU, but once we hit Superman [:Legacy] anything can be changed.

DC has four films scheduled for release in 2023. How do those fit in?
Gunn: I think that we’ve gotten lucky with the next four movies, frankly, because we have Shazam, which leads into Flash, which resets everything, which then goes into Blue Beetle, which is totally disconnected. He can totally be a part of the DCU, [and that] goes into Aquaman, which leads into Superman, our first big project.

When does the DCU canon start and will actors come back?
Gunn: The one thing that we can promise is that everything from ... our first project [Creature Commandos] forward will be canon and we’ll be connected. We’re using some actors from the past. We’re not using other actors from the past, but everything from that moment forward will be connected and consistent.

Is this a multiverse?
Safran: The DCU is a multiverse, but we’re going to be focusing on one universe from that multiverse. And if something isn’t DCU, we’re going to make that very clear.

Can you say what actors may or may not be returning?
Gunn: We’ve talked to Gal [Gadot]. She’s up for doing stuff. We’re not sure what we’re going to do with that. All I can tell you really right now is Henry [Cavill] and Ben [Affleck] are not part of this universe.

Is Jason Momoa going to play Lobo?
Gunn: Jason will not play two characters.

Safran: Jason always thought Aquaman was a trilogy, in his own mind. But he also loves Lobo. He’s been very clear about that, too. He’s never going to play two characters, but...

Gunn: We’ll figure it out after Aquaman 2.

How do you decide what’s a TV show and what’s a movie?
Gunn: It’s all story-based. To us storytelling is 100% king. So if it’s a story... that’s more complicated, like the [Green] Lanterns story is more complicated, like the Waller [story], or [if] it’s more of an independent TV vibe like Booster Gold, in a way, then that’s more suited to television. So it has to do with tone. It has to do with storytelling. It has to do with is it something that we can tell in two hours and 10 minutes, or is it something that we need, you know, seven, eight, nine hours for? And we certainly debated with a couple of these where they fit better. But ultimately, this is where we landed.

How are you deciding what something will be rated?
Gunn: It depends on the story. I mean, we’re going to give every story what it deserves. Some things we know. Superman [:Legacy] is definitely something that we would like to be PG-13. I’m going to make sure of that. Other things like the Waller TV show are little bit more mature. And we have other things that are a little bit more aimed towards young women or kids, that are still within this world that kind of feeds everything back into the Supermans and the Braves and the Bolds that everyone gets.

Will these chapters end in big cross-over events like Marvel?
Gunn: Everything is crossing over throughout. These characters are all interacting throughout the different stories. It doesn’t mean always, you know; Brave and the Bold may just be Batman and Robin and the characters involved in that. But I know a lot of other times the characters cross over. I know in Creature Commandos one of the main characters shows up in Waller.

Are these 10 projects everything in chapter one?
Safran: We haven’t announced everything in chapter one. There’s some stuff that comes beyond this. So let’s just say it just it’s too early to talk about that, but it becomes very clear what the story is.

Gunn: This is half of it.

It makes no sense to me to reboot parts of the universe but not reboot others. I don't get why you are keeping some actors but getting rid of others. 

Also, I don't think making The Authority part of the DCU is a good idea. The Authority would be better as its own independent thing. It's basically a satire like The Boys. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This is the most DC thing ever.

In other words, utter horse manure.

I just don't get why are you keeping Viola Davis as Waller and a lot of the other actors but not Cavill? Just seems like a lot of wishy washy BS.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

In other words, utter horse manure.

I just don't get why are you keeping Viola Davis as Waller and a lot of the other actors but not Cavill? Just seems like a lot of wishy washy BS.

Viola Davis works for a lot of people, Cavill's Superman doesn't. James Gunn has worked with Viola Davis. Peacemaker kicked ass and it would be a shame to not see that cast return.

There's been a lot of rumors about Cavill over the years. Whether it be asking for more money, wanting more control over Superman or being problematic on the Witcher set. If money is an issue, I can't see him doing movies, television, animation and games without breaking the bank. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Funny how the pictures used for Brave and the Bold are of Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne's Robin when the film feature Bruce Bats.

Article I read a few min ago said the Brave and the Bold movie would be based on Grant Morrison’s run.  Morrison’s run was spread over three titles and the middle one- Batman and Robin - featured Dick Grayson as Batman and Damien Wayne as Robin, so I assume it’s plausible they introduce Dick Grayson as Bats.

Slate looks fine if not exciting to me.  I’m not much of a superhero movie fan though.

39 minutes ago, Ligerbusa said:

Viola Davis works for a lot of people, Cavill's Superman doesn't. James Gunn has worked with Viola Davis. Peacemaker kicked ass and it would be a shame to not see that cast return.

There's been a lot of rumors about Cavill over the years. Whether it be asking for more money, wanting more control over Superman or being problematic on the Witcher set. If money is an issue, I can't see him doing movies, television, animation and games without breaking the bank. 

You're talking about a lot of BS and verifiably unproven rumors regarding Cavill versus the absolute dumpster fire that is Ezra Miller that has played out in the public eye and he never got fired over it. That doesn't add up.

To me it makes no sense. If you're doing a reboot, you need a hard reboot and recast everyone. Peacemaker is set in the same world as Cavill's Superman and the rest of the Snyder DCEU. It's not the right play. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ligerbusa said:

Here's the summary of Cavill's "being problematic on the Witcher set":

(Cavil reads S2 scripts)

HC: The fuck is this shite?  This stuff never happened.

Netflix: Yeah man, you didn't pick up that we don't give a fuck about source material outside of character names?  Didn't you watch Cowboy Beebop or Altered Carbon or literally anything we adapted from something else?

HC: Alright, I'm out.

And again, Cavill has a fucking metric ton of more "problems" to have before he comes with  a distance of the Grand Canyon of Miller.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Contentious C said:

*drunk Hal Jordan sitting in his patrol car, knocking back the last of a fifth of Gordon's Vodka*

HAL: "I wanted to be an astronaut.  Now they don't even go to the moon anymore..."

*Power ring crashes through the roof of the car and hovers in his face*

*Puts it on*

HAL: "This can do what?!?"

*Listens some more*

HAL: "So I CAN be an astronaut now.  But screw that, if you can do so much, then first I'm gonna go show that 12-year-old who's been picking on my son what a real bully looks like..."

*Hal wildly spins the car around to speed off to his ex's house*

Hal as Parallax: Never eat. Not even if you're hungry.

Also Hal as Parallax to, uh, some DC dork criminal: You ever bully someone again, I'll buttfuck your father with your mom's headless corpse on this lawn.

• Like 1

Also, yeah, count me in for thinking that whatever "rumor" exists about Cavill is utter bullshit if those rumors even exist. Dude was beloved on the set of both Enola Holmes movies.

And as for him not doing anything because it will break the bank, he's already doing the 40k tv series on Prime. So how does that line up with this notion that he's not going to be doing movies and TV if money is an issue. They're going to be paying him that much to do a 40K series.

This is kind of like complaining about keeping Judi Dench as M when they did the 007 reboot while dumping John Cleese as Q and moving in a direction that didn't involve invisible cars. Most people didn't seem too bothered. Keep the people who work, dump everyone else, and do the same "soft reboot" handwaving Marvel is doing for the new Daredevil stuff. Any other handwringing really isn't worth the energy when the people who watch this stuff are already willing to accept multiverse foolishness that brings Jackman and Stewart back for yet another curtain call. 

Keep Viola, Momoa, Gal, and Robbie. Launch Dwayne and Jared Leto into the sun. Move on from everything else, explain nothing. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hal as Parallax: Never eat. Not even if you're hungry.

Also Hal as Parallax to, uh, some DC dork criminal: You ever bully someone again, I'll buttfuck your father with your mom's headless corpse on this lawn.

Nah, see, the joke was, since he has the ring, he CAN buttfuck the father that way! So he just does it!

Edited by Contentious C

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This is kind of like complaining about keeping Judi Dench as M when they did the 007 reboot while dumping John Cleese as Q and moving in a direction that didn't involve invisible cars. Most people didn't seem too bothered. Keep the people who work, dump everyone else, and do the same "soft reboot" handwaving Marvel is doing for the new Daredevil stuff. Any other handwringing really isn't worth the energy when the people who watch this stuff are already willing to accept multiverse foolishness that brings Jackman and Stewart back for yet another curtain call. 

Keep Viola, Momoa, Gal, and Robbie. Launch Dwayne and Jared Leto into the sun. Move on from everything else, explain nothing. 

It's a valid complain in either case. 

Why even keep Margot Robbie in this case? Her Harley Quinn movie was not a success. 

Edited by TheVileOne