DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2023

I’m happy with a larger universe Batman taking on all of the franchise baggage so the Reeves Batman movies can breathe and focus on Batman. Supposedly the new The Batman and Joker movies will be officially labeled as Elseworlds, which would’ve been helpful when the first ones were released. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think what’s even dumber is that WBD, after axing stuff like Batgirl because it was from a previous regime, was still full speed ahead on Aquaman and Blue Beetle (I refuse to believe Blue Beetle was the start of Gunn’s run) despite those being obvious bombs and bound to lose money when it’s likely that Batgirl would have been more helpful to Max. 

I mean, Jesus, your co star in a supposed big blockbuster is Patrick Wilson who I feel like is the newer version of Greg Kinear.

• Like 1

Honestly, it's more sunk cost than anything else. 

You have to do Flashpoint, because it actually sets up the different universes concept and actually allows to transition to the Gunn-verse. 

Blue Beetle gets done because Xolo Mariduena is going to be Beetle in the new universe too. I'm guessing the upcoming Booster Gold series will deal with that. 

Aquaman 2 appears to just be an expensive mess, so hey, why not get some of it back.  The first one was more fun than a lot of the other dour offerings from the Snyder-verse, and frankly it was basically in the can when the switchover was announced.  Guessing Momoa might appear in the new universe, since...

Spoiler

(and yes, Batgirl getting shelved sucks massively.  Regardless of it being good or not, or whatever. There's no justification for it.)

On 12/8/2023 at 5:03 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Deadline is reporting that Sean Gunn will be Maxwell Lord in the Gunnverse.

Man, Pedro didn't exactly suck as Lord, even if the movie was awful.  He definitely wasn't the problem.

• Like 1