DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2023

Batman films I've seen at the cinema:

Batman (1989) re-release for the 30th Anniversary.

Batman Returns (1992) re-release for the 30th Anniversary.

Batman Forever (1995).

Batman and Robin (1997).

Batman Begins (2005).

The Dark Knight (2008).

The Dark Knight Rises (2012).

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016).

The LEGO Batman Movie (2017).

The Batman (2022).

Of those I hold Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Batman as the best experiences. I paid extra for the first screening of The Dark Knight in IMAX. Only film I've ever seen twice on the silver screen. I really want to see Batman (1966) and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) at the cinema.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Batman films I've seen at the cinema:

Batman (1989)

Batman Returns (1992)

Batman Forever (1995).

Batman and Robin (1997).

Batman Begins (2005).

The Dark Knight (2008).

The Dark Knight Rises (2012).

The LEGO Batman Movie (2017).

The Batman (2022).

Of those I hold Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Batman as the best experiences. I paid extra for the first screening of The Dark Knight in IMAX. Only film I've ever seen twice on the silver screen. I really want to see Batman (1966) and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) at the cinema.

only ones i didn't watch in theater were Batman Begins (i couldn't stand the look of the Bat Tank Tumbler. still hate it) and The Batman (Affleck? nah.)

well, and Batman '66. i don't recall that ever being re-released. i'd be first in line if it did. 

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Superman just the two:

Superman (1978) re-release for the 45th anniversary.

only Superman Returns (2006) and BvS for me. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 12:01 PM, twiztor said:

only ones i didn't watch in theater were Batman Begins (i couldn't stand the look of the Bat Tank Tumbler. still hate it) and The Batman (Affleck? nah.)

well, and Batman '66. i don't recall that ever being re-released. i'd be first in line if it did. 

only Superman Returns (2006) and BvS for me. 

The Batman was Robert Pattinson. I enjoyed Affleck in the ones he stared in, but I actually preferred Pattinson. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LF2 said:

The Batman was Robert Pattinson. I enjoyed Affleck in the ones he stared in, but I actually preferred Pattinson. 

you are correct. Affleck was in BvS and Justice League and wasn't bad.

i just watched the trailer on youtube- i don't think i'd ever even seen it before. but i think i was just tired of the "dark & gritty" take on Batman. Looks like it reviewed decently (72 on metacritic, 85% on RT), but doesn't really look like something i'm interested in. Plus, was that the Riddler? he's arguably my favorite Bat villain, but i don't love the take that he's some gimp mask wearing terrorist dude.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i just watched the trailer on youtube- i don't think i'd ever even seen it before. but i think i was just tired of the "dark & gritty" take on Batman. Looks like it reviewed decently (72 on metacritic, 85% on RT), but doesn't really look like something i'm interested in. Plus, was that the Riddler? he's arguably my favorite Bat villain, but i don't love the take that he's some gimp mask wearing terrorist dude.

Since you may not watch it and I don't want to spoil it, regarding the Riddler...

Spoiler

Think less about the gimp mask and more about January 6 and Qanon/4chan and him being a crazy person who motivated other crazy people to do something absolutely insane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

It is the Riddler and @Craig H definitely summed his character up perfectly. I love how Paul Dano played the part, and Colin Farrell was excellent as The Penguin too. It probably could have trimmed 15-20 minutes off the run time, but it never really drags.

• Like 2

The Batman made for such a great movie experience as I got to see a Batman Movie on my birthday, 6th of March with my Dad who is a big Batman fan and with Adam who is like a Brother to me. Afterwards we went to Pizza Pieces my favourite place to eat and brought out a piece of cheesecake with a lit candle getting everyone to sing Happy Birthday to me. Won't be surprised to find nearly all my presents were Batman. Same day AEW Revolution 2022 in the USA but 7th over here as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 10:12 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

I have to think that well eventually see this. 

By hook or by crook

I could be wrong but I think part of the tax write-off they got for canning it was that they can never release it.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

David Corenswet has been cast as Superman. Rachel Brosnahan has been cast as Lois Lane.

Not very familiar with David. Rachel is a great choice.  

Very much here for Mrs. Maisel as Lois Lane. For one thing, it's one of the only ways I can imagine to get my Superman-hating (and James Gunn-disliking) wife to watch the movie.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

David Corenswet has been cast as Superman. Rachel Brosnahan has been cast as Lois Lane.

Their other options for S were Nicholas Hoult (really?!?) and Tom Brittney, who I've also never heard of.  At least they got the more important casting correct.  Would've preferred they kept Cavill, but I'm weird like that.  I think he just got the "outsider who could be a god but chooses compassion instead" vibe better than a lot of people give him credit for.

48 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Their other options for S were Nicholas Hoult (really?!?)

Apparently they wanted Hoult for Luther but he insisted on auditioning for Superman instead. You have to imagine they kept him in the mix until the end as a courtesy, because, yeah, he could not be any less Superman.

I wonder if you could do Superman and not start with Luthor as the baddie? Famousl;y, his rogues gallery pales to flash, Batman and Spider-Man. Would people be happy with, say Mongol or Brainiac first and then Lex? 

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Never seen either. Announcement has gone down well from what I've seen.

Edited by The Natural

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Their other options for S were Nicholas Hoult (really?!?)

Nicholas Hoult has now missed out on Batman and Superman. Right calls but that must hurt.

Jake Gyllenhaal definitely missed out on Spider-Man when Tobey Maguire hurt his back and I think he's missed out on Batman as well. Gyllenhaal is still my #1 choice by far for the DCU Batman. Come on, James Gunn.