DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2023

Two things:   There's a box office thread for this sort of news.   Two, I'm shocked that a movie that's gotten zero promotion outside of commercials isn't doing well.  

😐 

• Like 2

Went to see Blue Beetle since it was National Cinema Day and tickets were four bucks.   It was very formulaic but not the worst super hero movie I've ever seen.  I like how DC goes all in on the depiction of their alternate earth city equivalents.  Palmera City / Miami was pretty awesome looking.

I will be haunting Etsy and Redbubble for a Gotham Law hoodie.

Edited by J.T.

• 3 weeks later...

Batman '91 is on and I just realized that both the first movie I ever saw, Masters of the Universe, and this, which I also saw in the theater, had parents getting killed in them. 

Boy my dad must've been thinking "WTF"

EDIT: Wait, and I also saw T2 in the theater?! Good lord...

EDIT II: Billy Dee was Harvey Dent in this? So Billy Dee could have been Two-Face? Oh man.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Time for my often told anecdote about hearing Michael Ulsan speak at IU and a woman complaining that Catwoman was race swapped for the movie. Luckily, someone pointed out tat not one were there 3 catwoman actresses and only 1 was black, but Billie Dee Williams was race swapped to play an important character/villain in the Tim Burton movies.

because I am a nerd and it was 1991/92, I asked him about the viability of filming the Alan Moore Swamp Thing stories. (He produced the Dick Duroch movies.) 

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Billy Dee was Harvey Dent in this? So Billy Dee could have been Two-Face? Oh man.

Not only that, but Billy Dee said he took the role because he knew he'd get to be Two-Face down the line. Supposedly he still hates Joel Schumacher for recasting the role.  

• Like 2

The Billy Dee-inspired Two-Face in the Batman ‘89 comic miniseries is probably the best part about the whole thing. It’s a truly unique take on Harvey Dent, even if it doesn’t really feel like what Burton would have done in Batman 3. 

• 2 weeks later...

James Gunn clarified two things today: 

1) Confirmed returns for the Gunn-verse DCU are John Cena as Peacemaker, Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, and Xolo Mariduena as Blue Beetle.  (This should not be considered a full list.)

2) Nothing before Creature Commandos  and Superman: Legacy will be considered canon.  

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

James Gunn clarified two things today: 

1) Confirmed returns for the Gunn-verse DCU are John Cena as Peacemaker, Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, and Xolo Mariduena as Blue Beetle.  (This should not be considered a full list.)

2) Nothing before Creature Commandos  and Superman: Legacy will be considered canon.  

I think Margot Robbie will also return. Glad John Cena as Peacemaker and Viola Davis' Amanda Waller are. Haven't watched Blue Beetle and don't intend to.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one that would prefer a proper reboot? I could be, but the course they are taking just feels messy. Just keeping some stars in the same roles and replacing others. It's way cleaner to break off from the failure the DCEU was. I know there are some stars that are great in their roles. But it's just going to be too cluttered for the general audience I think. There's a certain stench of failure on the DCEU brand. Starting over and building up from scratch makes a lot more sense than trying to hand waive away why some actors are returning and others aren't. Just rip the band-aid off and dump it all.

• Like 1